LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Does anybody else clench their hand all the time??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does anybody else clench their hand all the time??
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if this is a nervous habit or what. Like clenched teeth maybe??

I find myself with my left hand closed up .. even when I'm walking laps at exercise. I have to remind myself to straighten it out.

Anybody else do that?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had the middle, ring, and little fingers of my left hand tighten and close, and sometimes contract into a fist, involuntarily.

It doesn't seen to be happening right now. But it usually happens when my muscles are weaker than normal and prone to contracting and spasming and locking out.

I have been told that this could be happening when either babesia or bartonella is active. I am not sure if this is true.

I had to constantly tell my self to relax the hand and straighten it out too. I thought it was a nervous habit too. But, like all this stuff, it seems to come and go on its own schedule. I think it is a very mild form of spasm. There have been times, when my muscles were at their worst, that I thought the hand was going to contract and lock out and get stuck like a claw -- like Mandy on UOS. But luckily that never happened.

Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Lymetoo.

Can be caused by anxiety or be a nervous habit.

Other possible causes could be vitamin D deficiency, or carpel tunnel syndrome.

Maybe you are thinking about wringing someone's neck. [Razz]

Hope someone has answers to help you.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geneal:
Maybe you are thinking about wringing someone's neck. [Razz]

-
That's it! I'm ready to punch you out!

Was wondering if it was a lyme thing or just a nervous habit.

Thanks for input you two! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My left hand does that!! Mine gets clenched in a fist.

No idea why it happens.

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Glad to know that! You know how LIKE minds think alike! [lol] (inside joke)
--

After I do that all day, it begins to be uncomfortable.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may want to consider taking a dry wash cloth and folding it length ways.

Then roll it up from one end to the other so it looks like a short roll up.

Place this in your hand prior to sleep if your hand clenches at night.

May help prevent contractures.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Good idea. No telling what I do at night! LOL

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS -- I forgot to mention that my left toes sometimes will do this too. I will feel them sort of gripping down, and then I will have to consciously relax them. Very weird.
Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
j_liz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for j_liz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My niece and I both had this.

liz

Posts: 471 | From NJ | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

liz... habit? nerves?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

back2game
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23927

Icon 1 posted      Profile for back2game     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know my hands feel more comfortable when they are closed. My APB muscle between right thumb and wrist has atrophied, so I have very limited grasping abilities (impossible to write, cook, etc.) My hands and feet cause me lots of problems.

Just my 2 cents...

--------------------
CNS Lyme 05/08 - EIA 1.16+, IGG 18+, IGM 23+
01/11-IGM 31 Epitope Positive
01/11-IGM 31+++, 41+, 58++, 83-93+, 23-25IND, 39IND
01/11-IGG 41+
Vasculitis 01/07,MCTD 05/06,Fibro 11/04, Myofascial PS 11/03
Embedded Tick app. 1990

Posts: 136 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DKat
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DKat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymeto, Does your thumb push in too tightly when your fist is clenched? When my hand is hurting, I notice this and have to make it relax.

I thought this was from the Carpal Tunnel I had surgery for years ago acting up again......maybe not?

--------------------
Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help.

Posts: 338 | From NEPA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by back2game:
I know my hands feel more comfortable when they are closed.

-
Right.. mine feels better clenched. You hit the nail on the head.

BUT.. lately it's been hurting and I thought it was from clenching it all day.

DKat... No, I don't think so. Thanks for the input!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Annie C
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annie C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Too. ME TOO CLENCHED FISTS uSUALLY WHEN IM AWAKE... TIME DURATION IDK OR I CAN'T FIND WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR DOESNT MATTER WHERE I AM HERE AT HOME.

A very dear and wonderful man gave me a cute nick name of "Stands With a Fist." But that was
in 1994.

I gotchyour6

Anyway How in the SugarPeas Are you
[bow] [hi]

--------------------
May God Bless you every day. And Never say never and do not give up no matter what. We need you to help others.

Posts: 1288 | From Tetons Wyoming | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elizzza811
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizzza811     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I put my arms out in front of me and made fists with both hands during a seizure a week or so ago.

--------------------
Urge Congress on EMF Safety, FCC Must Change Exposure Guidelines for Microwave Radiation Exposure: http://tinyurl.com/2cjq54y
Halt Universal Broadband, A Public Health Hazard:
http://tinyurl.com/3x7xrmq

Posts: 495 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Hey, Annie! I'm doing well .. hope you are too!

thanks, eliza [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magnesium and Calcium needs to be balanced. Mag relaxes, calcium tightens. Too much mag, not good.
Mineral deficiencies happen with malabsorption big time, due to dysregulations/allergies by foods and leaky gut.

Parasites take many minerals and thus create deficiencies and also deficit in amino acids, iron, lack of energy and strength. Parasites devour calcium and use blood as food. All can contribute to motor dysfunction, i.e. fingers/hands get tight, feet and leg muscles tighten up. More lack of circulation and oxygenation. Looks like parkinsonism, but is not P.D.

We are dealing with that right now. Replenishing aminos (by the liter IV) because they are too acidic orally in large amounts and not absorbed well.

Hope you can find the problem.

Take care.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I know I'm not taking enough calcium. Having trouble with that.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

j_liz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for j_liz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it is a neurological effect of Lyme.

Mine started with a suspected stroke and I would have to force it open and keep it pressed against my leg in order to keep it opened. I don't know whether it was a stroke or Lyme (I was undiagnosed at the time). I am guessing it was the Lyme all along.

Eventually, it wasn't a tight fist. My PT, when giving me lymph drainage massage, would tell me to relax, it wasn't that I wasn't relaxed it was just that was how my hand was comfortable. It no longer is that way.

My niece held her hand the same way and the same PT told her the same thing.

Oh, and my niece and I use to wake up with clenched, aching hands. Lyme has effected our hands for years now.

I take calcium and mag, and get mag shots.

Posts: 471 | From NJ | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement