LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » PICC Line & Pain? advice please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PICC Line & Pain? advice please
vrtualchik
Member # 27927

Icon 5 posted      Profile for vrtualchik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides the long undiagnosed lyme I also have RSD. With the RSD I have to be careful with the procedures I have done. I have to avoid surgeries at all costs, as the tiniest damage to my nerves becomes permanent damage. I had hernia surgery in Jan. 00' and the pain in that area has never gone away.

I am getting my PICC line put in on Monday and I am concerned about the pain that could occur after from the PICC line itself(I am not talking about pain from herxing). I want to do anything I can that would help my chances of keeping any new pain from becoming permanent.

I've heard of a couple things mentioned like ice and heat. But one stated to place it on the chest area and another stated to place it on the area where the PICC line is inserted in the arm. So I'm not really sure which is right and what goes where.

I'd appreciate help from those who've been through this. I am so worried about ending up with the RSD moving to the PICC line sites that I am willing to do anything I can to help prevent this.

Thanks for the support,
Lisa

Posts: 86 | From Fort Lauderdale, Florida | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had RSD for 4 years and am now in remission, though I don't stay in remission if I don't get some kind of physical activity regularly.

The use of topical anesthetics should help reduce the chance of the RSD spreading to the PICC site. Don't use cold with RSD, cold increases chances of injuring the nerves (this is from the RSD expert Dr. H in Florida who is now retired).

I had pain after gallbladder surgery that didn't want to go away until I got a nerve block. Thankfully I saw the Dr. H in Florida 2 weeks after the surgery and he explained about the nerve blocks being needed sometimes for post-surgical pain in those with RSD.

You might have trouble with vasospasms during PICC line insertion (RSD can cause vasospasms even in areas not affected by the pain) - I had this problem, and they finally gave me nitroglycerine (short-acting) so my veins would stop spasming long enough for them to get the PICC line in.

PICC line and site care are critically important. You don't want to have to get the line re-positioned after it's in...

A heating pad wrapped around the arm where the PICC is placed can help with pain. However, don't do this if you are bleeding from the placement site (usually this is only a problem within the first few hours after the line is first placed).

For the first 3-6 weeks, you should not do anything too strenuous with the arm that has the line...this will ensure that your body accepts the line and that you don't trigger more damage to the vein.

Make sure they give you heparin to lock the line with after you de-access the line, or you might have trouble with clots developing in the line.

Feel free to PM me with questions. I've had a PICC line since July 2008.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Razzle gave you good advice.

What helped me the most was using a warm compress directly over the insertion site and the upper arm, 20min on and at least 20min off. If you can take Ibuprofen that will help reduce inflammation too.

For the first couple days my arm would hurt more if reached up or bend down (movements you do while getting dressed). You will want to wear loose fitting shirts that are easy to get on and off.

Try not to lift anything heavy or do too many repetitive motions with your PICC arm. If I do too much with it my arm will start to spasm, rest and warm compress helps for this.

The actual placement procedure doesn't hurt much. You feel the initial stick then a tugging sensation as they feed the line in. It is over in just a few minutes.

Try not to worry and good luck [Smile]

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vrtualchik
Member # 27927

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vrtualchik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Razzle and Sammy.

--Razzle. I've had RSD for 13 yrs now so I know not to use ice on the sites where RSD is present.
I hope I don't have the problem with the spasms and if I do I hope they'll be knowledgable enough to give me the nitro to help.

I've seen some people mention pain in their chest also. Did either of you have this?

Posts: 86 | From Fort Lauderdale, Florida | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember having pain in the chest. I did have a tight feeling across my chest with one of the PICC lines. It was a weird sensation but not painful.
Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No chest pain from the PICC...had an episode of chest/arm pain and thought it was from the PICC, but when I went in for an x-ray, they discovered I had a pleural effusion and admitted me to the hospital on the spot!

The only time I get pain from the PICC line is if I do something I shouldn't with the arm the PICC is in, or if my blood vessels are spasming.

Don't count on the person putting in the line to be able to figure out the blood vessel spasms and to use nitro...you may need to suggest it casually...

Also, make sure you are well hydrated prior to the procedure - that may improve the chances of a smooth and successful PICC placement without spasms and other problems. I was severely dehydrated when my PICC was placed, and I'm sure that contributed to the problems they had when trying to put the line in.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

It also helps to be warm and relaxed during the procedure. So ask for some warm blankets, as many as you need to be comfortable.
sickntired19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickntired19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, it looks like my only thoughts or advise is not good for you, ICE! I iced my arm for a couple of hours the night I had my PICC placed and some the next night, and it didn't hurt after 2 days. And I never had any bruising.

I hope everything goes well for you though!!

Posts: 265 | From Oregon | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vrtualchik
Member # 27927

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vrtualchik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks sick I still appreciate the help.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement