LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cyst buster meds?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cyst buster meds?
vrtualchik
Member # 27927

Icon 5 posted      Profile for vrtualchik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the PICC line placed on Mon. and am doing rocephin everyday. I see my Dr. on Mon. and he is giving me a script for flagyl to start in a week.

I keep reading about needing to be on cyst buster meds.

Is Flagyl a cyst buster or does he also need to put me on something else?

This Dr. knows about lyme and is treat me with IV Rocephin and flagyl but I really don't think he is "Lyme Literate."

I had to request to be put on actigall and I put myself on probiotics.

I am still searching for a LLMD in case anyone has anyone they want to suggest to me.

I am terrified, and I do mean terrified, of flying. I haven't flown in over 22yrs, once my son was born my fear got even worse. However, I have family in New York and if it gets to that point I'll find a way to get myself on a plane if there is a good lyme Dr. up there.

Thanks for the help.

Posts: 86 | From Fort Lauderdale, Florida | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheffer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flagyl is a cyst buster
Posts: 131 | From ontario | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vrtualchik
Member # 27927

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vrtualchik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
great, thanks cheffer.
Posts: 86 | From Fort Lauderdale, Florida | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So is Tindamax. Usually easier to handle than flagyl.

You can get it as Tinidazole(generic) or Fasign (brand) made by Pfizer if you are out of the U.S., as it was never marketed in the U.S. and I understand it's cheaper.

In the old days before Tindamax came on the market it was not that expensive to have tinidazole compounded and it was the only way to get is besides getting it from outside the U.S.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sk8ter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sk8ter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope your protocol helps the lyme and RSD...pls let me know
Posts: 871 | From orange county, ca. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rocephin and Flagyl is a good protocol. An addition of Doxycycline wouldn't hurt.

I use to have a fear of flying and I am completely over it. I remember when the fear went away. I was going through a very dark time in my life (my divorce). I had to get on a plane. My thoughts were "I don't care if this plane goes down" at the time. I never had the fear again. Strange isn't it?

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vrtualchik
Member # 27927

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vrtualchik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
**Abxnomore is Tinidazole available here in the U.S.? Can I switch to it from the flagyl if it bothers me or would you suggest just starting with Tinidazole?

**sk8ter I will definitelt let you know how it goes.

**Haley Wow I'm glad you're past that!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Might as well begin with tinidazole. It IS easier on the body. Yes, you can get it here.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vrtualchik
Member # 27927

Thanks Lymetoo.
kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
vrtualchik, you might want to try Flagyl first as it is MUCH cheaper. A bottle of Flagyl cost us $5. 30 pills of Tindamax was $110.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vrtualchik
Member # 27927

Wow big diff in price. Thanks for that info kids. And I am so sorry that your kids are going through this [Frown] .

That is good information to know. I wonder if it is covered on my insurance? I think I'll call my pharmacist 2morrow and ask. He is awesome believe it or not, and so helpful!

If it is not covered than I will probably have to try the Flagyl first.

Is Flagyl that bad when it comes to side effects?

Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll just re-post what I said above:

quote:
So is Tindamax. Usually easier to handle than flagyl.

You can get it as Tinidazole(generic) or Fasign (brand) made by Pfizer if you are out of the U.S., as it was never marketed in the U.S. and I understand it's cheaper.

In the old days before Tindamax came on the market it was not that expensive to have tinidazole compounded and it was the only way to get is besides getting it from outside the U.S

So yes it's a cyst buster and much easier to handle than flagyl....easier on the system.

Yes Tindamax is very expensive but you may want to look into having Tinidazole/Fasign compounded or see if you have a way to get it abroad or from Canada or Mexico and see if it is cheaper that way.

In the old days it was not expensive, as I mentioned above. I don't know about know. You would have to research it.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
vrtualchik, for my daughter, there was no difference in side effects. Both of them caused her nervous system to go haywire.

A lot of people are able to handle the Flagyl though, so I would try it first.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Neither medication is a cake walk and yes everyone will handle it differently. But some find the Tinidazole a bit easier to handle.

Either way it's a tough medication but a necessary medication that needs to be in the lyme mix.

onbam
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Dr.Betty M (not practicing) in MN,
Flagyl, Tini, Tigecycline, and actually Mepron too. So this may explain why some with -babs tests respond to Mepron/Zith.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement