LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can you get lyme from a mosquito bite?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can you get lyme from a mosquito bite?
lobsterpot
Member # 31514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lobsterpot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I apologise in advance for what may be pedestrian question. I had a mosquito bite and developed the typical rash associated with lyme disease around the bite. I didn't worry about it at the time, as I thought Lyme could be only transmitted by a Tick. Since, I have read that Lyme may be transmitted by mosquito's too; however, the majority of sites only talk about the tick. I now have symptoms that could be attributed to Lyme disease. Does anyone know if Lyme disease can be transmitted by mosquitos?

Thank you.

Posts: 3 | From Missouri | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bridge
Member # 30896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bridge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD told me at my last appt, when I first found out I have lyme :/, that it can be transmitted by mosquitoes.

He mentioned this because he probably noticed how doutbful I was of the diagnosis.

Posts: 82 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard of someone who got it from an ant bite. Also, someone told me you can get it from vaccines that contain parasites infected with Lyme. Sounds far-fetched, i know, but who knows where it could come from!

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably! There are reports that it is possible.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard some LLMD's claim that up to 25% of mosquitos and spiders have Lyme in endemic areas.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bridge
Member # 30896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bridge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really is terrible...

When my dr. said that - I literally said - What am I supposed to do - live in a bubble!?

Avoiding ticks is one thing..

but a mosquito, a spider...come on!

Crazy!

Posts: 82 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bridge .. I would say it's more rare to get it from a mosquito. Don't panic.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pantera73
Member # 29752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pantera73     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the Northwoods of Wisconsin there was many reports of mosquito, biting flies, and lice transmitting LD. The newer the bite seems to be more potent because of all the micro-organisms that have died in the last two decades. So more fun co-infections!!

--------------------
NWOODS WI/ bit May08 diagnosed Jul08 Lyme
March 09 symptoms return Ehrlichiosis pos.no Lyme?
Feb 11 CD57=26 Mycoplasma 343 Babesia 55.2 HHV6 5.8
WB CDC POSITIVE 31++ 39+ 41++ 58++ 66+ 83+
WB IGG POSITIVE 31++ 34 IND 39 IND 41++ 58++

Posts: 55 | From the Lyme Mine | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAXlover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAXlover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was bit again by something last year (2010), Jan or Feb. I remember thinking it couldn't have been a tick because everything was frozen outside for over a month and we have several feet of snow outside and I really haven't been outside, and I don't have a pet. I think it was a spider that bit me.

--------------------
LAXlover

Posts: 371 | From Northern Baltimore Area | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bridge
Member # 30896

Hahaha - I'm not..

This beast is an epidemic in New Jersey though..

We had a "grown-up" easter egg hunt in our backyard yesterday..

It was fun, but afterwards I went inside and like thoroughly inspected my feet/legs..

Would have NEVER done that a year ago! Living in New Jersey makes me feel more at risk!

lobsterpot
Member # 31514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lobsterpot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your responses. I was feeling a bit daft going to a Dr and telling them I had a typical Lyme rash, but that it was associated with a mosquito bite. Following your responses, I will go and see what the Dr says.

Again, thank you

Posts: 3 | From Missouri | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Lobster.. if you still have the rash, take a picture of it!!!!

Include a ruler next to it or a coin.

If you can include your face on one pic, do that also. This could be VERY important down the line.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

rosebuds mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rosebuds mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eight years ago I was diagnosed with West Nile Virus. They were debating whether or not it was Lyme Disease as well. As it turns out they were never officially sure which it was and as they told me both can be transmitted by mosquitos. I live in a highly mosquito and tick infested area.
Posts: 118 | From Here | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lobster,

I see you are new here, just in case you are not already aware--lyme has the medical community split in two. Most docs would laugh in your face if you suggested you could get lyme from a mosquito, and then there are a select few who care and take it seriously. Look for a member of ILADS as a doctor who will take it seriously.

By the way, some have a theory that the lyme rash happens with exposure to someone who is already infected. I don't have an opinion on that theory, but just passing it on as a possibility. If that is the case, you were potentially infected (but not necessarily suffering) prior to that mosquito bite.

Best of luck.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

This may help you understand about the Lyme controversy, lobster:

Lyme controversy:
http://www.kettmann.com/Lyme/Save/

Then, click on "Here"

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes they can

http://www.canlyme.com/mosquitos_carry_lyme.html

University of Wisconsin seems to think that there are alternate forms of transmission. Maybe in that rare filet mignon we had for dinner last night.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8362496?ordinalpos=4&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1790102

Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. When the conditions are right - mosquitos are attracted to certain people. I am sure it has to do with present toxicity levels.
Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jadams:
I heard of someone who got it from an ant bite.

It is believed that I got Lyme from a red fire ant bite in the California desert...at least, that's the only thing I can think of that preceeded the onset of symptoms...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been wondering/worrying about this for the past few days.

I haven't been doing all that great for the past month or so, but on Thursday, I really started in with feeling HORRIBLE again--

my left arm went really weak on me, felt rubbery and like it was asleep, shaky, panic attacks, air hunger/shortness of breath...

I got a bunch of mosquito bites around the time that all this flared up again.

Now over the weekend, I've had a fever, headache, and upset stomach along with the other stuff.

Can't figure out if I just have a virus, if the bites caused a flare of what I already have, or if I got infected with something new.

Posts: 303 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two world experts on this topic, Sir Dr. Steere and Barbour have provided direct confirmation the only way to get this rare illness is through the bite of a tick attached for 36+ hrs.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love those guys. They are so smart. Everything they say is true.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
guys-a few yrs ago i got 3 mosquito bites

i was far from my doc and tried to ignor the rash

when i got to the doc 3 days later it was about 8-10 inches wide on my abdomen

the doc called and ambulance-called it cellulitis and put me in hosp

it kept growing until they gave me vanco iv

i dont remember all that happened but it was 3-5 days of iv vanco to get it undercontrol and weeks to get over it

no mention of lyme...but it was definitely something and i bet it was lyme

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seek and James - [lol] [lol] [lol]

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babesia can be transmitted by mosquitos. Are you on meds for Babesia?

Pretty soon, we'll all be living in bubbles.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on babs meds (well, Ceftin and malarone--allergic to zith), but they seemed to do nothing.

Don't know if the dosage wasn't strong enough or what.

I just know I am getting so much worse the past week, and I haven't felt this bad since before I was dx'ed.

Posts: 303 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
payne
Member # 26248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for payne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
now that i have had lyme for at least 5 / 6 yrs..
what few mosquitos bites i have had are intense.
super itchy and swelling, i let one land on me the other day on my hand and tightened up my muscles to hold him there and killed it... it couldnt have been on me more then 3 sec.
what a reaction.. next day it still showed a welt..

--------------------
TULAREMIA/rabbit fever ?

Posts: 1931 | From mid-michigan | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect I did. I don't ever recall seeing a tick, but I get mosquito bites aplenty.
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kerryblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kerryblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, YES/ Even flies carry according to program scientist came on Dr. OZ.
Think why there is equine Lyme.
Yes, I got bit could not been tick only went from elevator to mail box, got mosquito bite entire elbow/where bugs always seem to target. Was swollen for weeks, got encephalitis which was another Co-infect. Since then not day goes by without nausea 1 day. UGH/ even on compazine. No appetite since. Sure just added on to Lyme.
Take Care,Hugggsss,Kerryblue

Posts: 746 | From Clearwater/fl/Pinellas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopingandpraying
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, biting insects also transmit Lyme. My son had a large oval rash on his thigh with several mosquito bites on it. After doing some research, it turns out this was a form of the bullseye rash.

It is now 11 years that my son has been ill.

Posts: 8981 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2kids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kerryblue, when were you bitten and why the nausea? I have an appetite (not like I used to) but don't eat much and have lost weight due to nausea. I also get severe pain sometimes when I eat.

If mosquitoes can transfer West Nile and EEE, why couldn't they do it with Lyme and Co's?

--------------------
Down on her knees, she wept on the floor.
This hopeless life, she wanted no more.
Dead in the mind and cold to the bone,
She opened her eyes and saw she was alone. ~Seether

Posts: 427 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If mosquitos carry/transmit Lyme/TBIs, my life is over. I have never seen them attack someone worse than me. I'm outside in the yard CONSTANTLY. They gravitate towards me in droves. It's scary. They can small me a mile away literally. [Frown]
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From everything I've read throughout the years, my vote would be yes.

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement