LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cheapest source of VSL probiotics?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cheapest source of VSL probiotics?
Susie R
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son's LLMD suggested VSL#3 in our probiotic lineup. Can anyone direct me to the most inexpensive source for these supplements?

He's also taking K-Pax nutritional supplement (amongst other things) and I wonder if anyone knows of the least expensive source for this, as well.

Thank you for all the blessed help!
Greg's mom
(Susie)

Posts: 234 | From albany, ny | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VSL#3
http://www.vsl3.com/order.asp

The CHEAPEST is to ask the LLMD to put his money where his mouth is and PRESCRIBE VSL#3 DS. Call you insurance company (prescription service) and see if it is covered.

VERY cheap that way.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deshi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deshi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
costco
Posts: 105 | From Ca | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look at the CFU count and how long it will last. You COULD take ONE packet a day .. or 1/2 half packet twice a day.

Each packet is 900 billion CFU's for the VSL DS .. not sure about the regular VSL.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got an rx for VSL #3 DS from my LLMD. I pay nothing for it that way.

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo,

the regular is 450.
The DS is 900.
But you need a prescription for the DS.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

That's what I thought, karen. Thanks!

St olaf .. how do you get your prescriptions for free?? I want YOUR insurance company!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuel1212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have insurance go with the VSL #3DS(double strength) I get mine for around $70 and it last about 1.5 months. I also have BCBS

If you want to go the pill route VSL#3 amazon has the cheapest price

VSL#3

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

Posts: 610 | From Lymeville | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As others have mentioned, see if your insurance covers the DS version. If so, ask your doctor to write the script so it's 4x (or whatever the max is) daily.

For my $20 co-pay, I get 120 packets. I take 1/3rd of a packet daily (300 billion bacteria) and it lasts me an entire year.

Only downside is that it clogs up your refrigerator a little for the year, but it saves a lot of money that way.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who the hell takes 3.6 trillion units daily of this? lol. I can't believe insurance would go for that. [Smile]
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Lemon-lyme.... mine barely holds the 180 packets!! [Big Grin] 360 would be quite the challenge!!

I pay $80 for 180 packets.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VSL DS really works for some people with serious chronic bowel problems.
Cheaper than any other treatment or diagnosis.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VSL #3 has been proven in clinical trials to be as effective as medication (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, and also has been proven to prevent and treat pouchitis for those who have a J-pouch.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ktkdommer
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pay a $30 co-pay for a months supply which comes in 3 boxes. I feel fortunate.

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kerry23
Member # 28383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kerry23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do they cause stomach cramping? I tried PB8, just one a day and by day 3 and 4, I was doubled up in pain. I need a good probiotic and want to call for this script but it seems the stronger they are the more pain I am in.....Help

--------------------
30 Supplements
Awaiting new protocol
Diagnosed 2nd time 9/08/2011
with positive western blot
No co infection

Posts: 74 | From Pine Island, NY | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme-too. You DO NOT want my insurance. lol

It is free now because I reached my $2850 deductible :/

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sk8ter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sk8ter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
K-Pax is only sold officially by orthomellucular. They have told me that they are constantly closing down illegal websites that sell their products and said they cannot guarantee that those are not fake products...who knows.
Posts: 871 | From orange county, ca. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Kerry .. shouldn't unless you have a bad yeast problem maybe. You can always take small amounts from the packet until you see how you react. I use a clip to seal it back.

st olaf... OUCH! [shake]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, this is reverse boasting.....by March I had fulfilled my 5,000 yes $5000.00 out of pocket......

When I took my RX to cvs, the pharmacist said this is over the counter and charged me 45+ for the bottle..

Argh......

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

It has to be VSL#3 DS .. if it WAS, then this is NOT OTC.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Susie R
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, everybody!

I am guessing the VSL double strength is a powder packet? The OTC version we got are capsules. My son has autism and sensory issues, I can't get him to take smoothies or powdered stuff, everything has to be in capsules so he can just swallow them.

I guess I'm stuck with the costs if the prescription stuff doesn't come in capsules.

Thanks! You folks are the best....sk8ter, thanks for the heads-up on OrthoMolecular. I have been getting the KPax from his alternative care providers. They cost the same if bought them online.

Susie

Posts: 234 | From albany, ny | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Darn... yes, only in packets as far as I know.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, this is reverse boasting.....by March I had fulfilled my 5,000 yes $5000.00 out of pocket......

When I took my RX to cvs, the pharmacist said this is over the counter and charged me 45+ for the bottle..

Argh......

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Insurance is only covering VSL 3 double strenght now at 900 billion bacteria. THe co pay on a 90 day script is 30 dollars through almost all ins companies.

Hope it works for you

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Dogsandcats:

Argh......

--

It has to be VSL#3 DS .. if it WAS, then this is NOT OTC.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by annier1071:
THe co pay on a 90 day script is 30 dollars through almost all ins companies.

-
Wish that were true for me! I pay $80.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do the packets need to be refrigerated?

If I order online they will ship directly to me or pharmacy?

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

YES .. and "either one" .. they WILL send to your pharmacy if you want them to.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome - thanks.

I may give this a try for a month or so.

pretty steep price to pay (and I'm without insurance or a doc haha)

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

one thing.. if you have to pick it up at pharm .. it IS a heavy box due to cold packs .. but maybe the pharm would take all that stuff out.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

canefan17
Member # 22149

I'll probably just order to my apt.
I'm assuming they keep it on ice until it arrives.

Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuel1212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD told me that there is no way Insurance will go for 4 packets a day. He is pretty open to whatever too.

Pharmacy only has the DS in the packets.

Capsules are considered OTC and are half the potency.

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

Posts: 610 | From Lymeville | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Lymetoo,

Why doesn't the website you linked above have the VSL#3 DS ?
It just has the 450 bil regular VSL

EDIT: Whoops - I see you need a prescription for the DS : )

AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does anyone knowhow much the vsl3 ds runs if insurance doesnt cover it?

(wondering if it is cheaper than otc.)

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

canefan17,

the DS is a prescription med and they cannot offer it on their site.

VSL #3 DS is only 20 packages for $ 105.00 ( 5.25 each DS)
I think VSL #3 regular are 30 packages for $ 86.00 ( 2.87 each regular).

If you take only 1/2 of a DS it would be 2.63 instead of 2.87 for the regular :

savings 0.24 each time
or $ 7.20 on a package of 30.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement