LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » my teeth are falling apart...and I hate it......

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: my teeth are falling apart...and I hate it......
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Florence1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just had a root canal and crown (i know maybe i shouldnt of done it but i was already into the process before i knew that !)....

then today they did my full exam as i had gone to my new dentist as an emergency when my tooth broke......anyway...

i knew from the dentists codes to the assistant it wasnt sounding too good.....so i have 2 root canals both with crowns that need doing and 7 cavities..........what the heck is going on......I never had a problem with my teeth and now this....my mouth is a mess........

what is going on????

oh yeah and it will cost $3800 approx...tto fix it all.............nightmare...

--------------------
Oct 09 Positive CDC Western Blot
Jan 10 Positive Babesia Duncani
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

Posts: 739 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what meds are you on???
many meds plus also lyme disease causes dry mouth
with causes cavities in teeth.
saliva is filled with bacteria but without it
there are no good bacteria to protect and destroy the bad ones
docdave

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EEK..! Sorry to hear!

Might want to buy some Biotene for dry mouth if that is what you have.

Might also want to be checked for Sjogren's.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babesia causes more tooth decay. The last time I went to the dentist I had five cavities. One was so big the dentist insisted he could not use a composite - said it would fall out. So I understand what you are going through.

I got a waterpick and I have been trying to use it everyday. I hope being careful to remove all food between my teeth will help prevent more problems. You could also floss but the pick is easier for me.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JunkYardWily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JunkYardWily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ive heard from my llmd that root canales are a big no no.

ive had one years before i got sick.

i asked him if he were me would he get it removed. he said absolutely!

im strongly considering having mine taken out.

--------------------
sick since 9-09
igg, 18,23,41 reactive
igm, 41 reactive

Posts: 436 | From Kansas City | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickntired19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickntired19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMW. I've had horrid teeth all my life! Many many cavities each year. My lifetime record is 1.5 years between fillings and I was so so proud of that! (How twisted is that?!?)

I am really interested in knowing what is the driving part of Lyme behind this issue!

Posts: 265 | From Oregon | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ticksickfamily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ticksickfamily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you been checked out for HPU/KPU ? One of the symptoms can be crumbling teeth.
Posts: 174 | From UK | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I have more caps than teeth. I went to a new dentist the other day who commented, "you sure like dental work don't you?".

I thought I inherited these crappy teeth. My dad got dentures in his 20's.

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Florence1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ticksickfamily.....I havent been checked for HPU/KPU not even really sure what that is to be honest, how would that affect teeth?.....(how are the family by the way??)

stymielymie.....at this point on quite a few antiseizure meds, iv antibiotics plus orals....

Lymetoo......what is Sjogrens??.....I will google it......does it affect teeth and how??

nefferdun....i do have a positive babs duncani and have been treating for a while......

junkyard.....I asked my LLMD after I had already started the root canal process and he said he would of recommended leaving it alone and not getting the work done......

sickntired and apljack.....sucks doesnt it !!!

I would like to know if lyme is a player in ruining teeth or is it just the whole process....meds, yeast, flora,inflammation, bacteria.............

--------------------
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

Posts: 739 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raw vegan runner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for raw vegan runner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had ELEVEN cavities filled, 3 teeth prepared for crowns and some mercury removed. I go back at the end of the month for my crowns and my last mercury filling removed and replaced.

That's just this year...

Last year I had 5 root canals done, 4 teeth pulledand numerous cavities filled. Next year we do the left side of my mouth.

I DEEPLY sympathize. And I blame genetics AND Lyme.

Posts: 206 | From In the shadow of a mountain | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is all so interesting.

Since we're talking teeth, anybody else out there needs LOTS of novacaine? My teeth are so frickin' sensitive that any work must have so much numbing I can barely talk or eat for hours.

Also, when I had braces in 2009, it was so painful. Couldn't bite on a banana. My daughter said that I complained more than she did. (Which I did, it hurt like crap.)

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sjogren's affects the teeth because it dries out the mouth. Dry mouth = crumbling and decaying teeth.

Sjogren's is an auto-immune problem .. a gift from Lyme, I would say.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugg
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Florence1-

I have the SAME ISSUE and think I've found the cause. I went to the dentist at age 39 after years of lyme treatment only to discover that my teeth were breaking and cracking...Horrible!!! I had also taken such great care of them all of my life. Anyway, I attribute my breaking teeth to two things:

1) Long-term abx use
2) The inflammation from the lyme along with the abx use interfered with my intestines which caused malabsorption of vital nutrients which keep teeth strong (mainly Vitamin D)....Since supplementing Vitamin D along with calcium (I just recently added digestive enzymes for better absorption of nutrients/minerals) I have not had any teeth breaking or cracking or any root canals.....Yeah!!!! (just fyi, I didn't have any gastrointestinal symptoms which would indicate malabsorption issues such as diarrhea or gas etc...)

Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ticksickfamily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ticksickfamily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son, unexplicably, had a crumbling front tooth. As soon as we saw our LLMD she wanted to test him for HPU/KPU because of this symptom (plus others). His test came back strongly positive and he was started on mineral supplementation. I also had a phase when several teeth cracked and bits dropped off. I also was mildly positive for HPU/KPU on the test and did mineral supplementation for a year.

Here is a link to explain what HPU/KPU is, there have been previous threads on lymenet about it, if you do a search.

http://lymelighters.org/uploads/012610_KPU_Forsgren_explore_18-6.pdf

Basically, my understanding is you are very short on various minerals if you have HPU/KPU syndrome and some body structures become demineralised eg. nails, teeth, bone.Zinc is one of the major deficiencies.There is a little bit of information on this from the BioResource conference where it is mentioned as KPU.

http://www.betterhealthguy.com/joomla/blog/238-bioresource-2011-conference

Florence, we are doing OK thanks. All off antibiotics now and on herbals but still herxing and have symptoms at times.My thyroid wasn't working properly, now on Armour Thyroid.

Posts: 174 | From UK | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ticksickfamily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22786

Also, just found this too :

http://www.whataboutmyteeth.com/

Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

BUGG...thanks.....funny I am 39 in a few weeks and been treating a while and my inflammation markers are elevated.......

i definately think its all connected......my family do not have this problem and this is all in the last 18mths to 2 yrs.......

ticksick...i am glad you are doing better

--------------------
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well thank God for the answeres above. I always had perfect teeth and the last few years four back molars cracked...had three pulled out and one has only the root still in my mouth without pain?

I am also having pain in another molar that had cracked but my dentist put a "patch" on the back of it. He said I dont visit him enough to have them cleaned!! I brush floss and use biotene for dry mouth due to my meds all the time.

I knew there had to be something else happening. Now I will need implants to replace these teeth. What a horror

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitts
Member # 20542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My teeth are cracking. My dentist says he has never seen anything like it. I keep telling him it is linked to my Lyme disease and he pretends I haven't spoken.

--------------------
Kitty
Lyme, Babesia, XMRV virus Diagnosed 2008
Mepron, Zithro, Cepaflexin, Fluconozol, Vitamin, Herb therapy

Posts: 65 | From Kansas | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
searching4truth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for searching4truth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My teeth are doing the same thing. They are literally falling out of my mouth from cracking and breaking, with infections to go right along. I recently attended a Weston Price meeting where a dentist came and spoke to us. Weston Price was a dentist who discovered that tooth decay was actually caused by nutrient defficiancy. Specifically a very specific combo of a few different vitamins.

Basically, if the tooth is healthy on the inside, it will be protected from decay. Once those vitamins are missing in the body, the tooth becomes ill from the inside, and bacteria is able to penetrate, causing cavities. The dentist gave me the name of a book called" Cure Tooth Decay". I am going to order it this week. She said you can reverse tooth decay by following the protocol. Some teeth might be too damaged to save, but she has seen cavities heal themselves through the use of this protocol.

I went to the meeting the night before my 3 year old went to the dentist who discovered she has a handful of cavities. She does not eat candy or drink juice, but I do know she has a vitamin A defficiancy. I am going to get her on this protocol as well.

The dentist is called a biological dentist, you might be able to find one in your area. I know other people on this board have mentioned this type of dentist as well. I feel for you, I know how frustrating dental issues are. I hope things turn around for you!

Posts: 427 | From Pacific Northwest | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sleeping dog
Member # 27267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleeping dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
have you had your vitamin d level checked? lyme had prevented my body from properly absorbing vitamin d. many symptoms including terrible dental problems. doctor prescribed mega dose of vitamin d and it helped tremendously.
Posts: 43 | From new jersey | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigstan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigstan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 2004 I had 4 root canals done. At $800+ each, plus another $800+ each for crowns.

January 2006 the healthiest man this side of Chicago (me), became sick and have been fighting this Lyme disease every since.

Fast forward to today. Three of the four root canaled teeth have failed. They all have abscessed, and cracked. I tried to have a re-treat on one to save. No luck couldn't remove the gutta-percha used to fill the root canal.

So 13 days ago had first molar extracted. I'm in severe pain or have been. Because of what they call a dry socket. A big gaping hole that was exposing bone and nerve. The pain was radiating up to my ear and other teeth.

I went back twice last week to have the hole stuffed with clove oil stuff to stop the pain. But that only lasted so long as the crap would just push out of the hole. So I bought over the counter clove oil and have been eating Vicoden non-stop.

Finally today the hole has pretty much sealed off. I believe it has taking a long time to heal due to how bad my immune system is functioning.

So two more to go sometime and my plan is to do implants which will cost me more bucks. Yippee!

--------------------
HERX is a Four Letter Word!

Posts: 716 | From If you're going through hell, keep going......Winston Churchill | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bigstan

I am having the last of my four back molars extracted next week since my llmd does not want me to have any root canals, but he also said no implants at all.

I was only going to implant one but he explained the post goes into the gum and never really seals closed on the sides allowing bacteria (lyme) into the jaw. I have a friend with lyme who right now has to have major jaw surgery from a root canal and implant that the lyme infected. She may need to remove all of her teeth to cure the infection.

I would ask about the inplant first. I always had great teeth but my dentist says it is genetics that is cracking them down now??? My llmd said it is both genetics, abx (dry mouth). I use biotene and sonicare now to try and keep them healthier and I will have to live with the one whole the bugs me in my mouth.

A bridge would cause them to have to file down two good teeth and he will not do that...

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Annier1071, so if implants are out are you just going to leave the gaps there? I have to get a root canal tooth removed, and it seems implants can also be a problem but having the gap could also be a problem if the other teeth move and alignment shifts, etc.

Did your llmd address these concerns?

thanks

Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
payne
Member # 26248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for payne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
had all my teeth pulled one year before i ever heard of LD...
great full dentures,
except be warned -
I can only wear them for about 6 hours and i start a terrible naw ing and grinding which drives
my Jaws into pain..
before i had no problem wearing them for a full day... Lyme is a pain in the...

--------------------
TULAREMIA/rabbit fever ?

Posts: 1931 | From mid-michigan | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Dog, My llmd said if I can stand the gap then just leave it. He showed how the bacteria gets in both side of a post for an implant and cannot be prevented. He said get a bridge instead but my dentist wont file down two good teeth for it.
SO yes, I will leave it for now. Last thing I am worrying about is my shifting teeth I guess. Maybe later on when I am recovered.
P
Payne...you have the right idea....no way to get infections and no pain from bad teeth. Get the denture readjusted..probably moved with your mouth changing from the lyme...

--------------------

linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel your pain. Had seven root canals pulled this year, multiple cavitations cleaned out. Partials on top and bottom. I am having a very difficult time adjusting to them.

Food gets stuck in them and just about drives me nuts 'til I can clean them...have a bridge in front which I am thinking of having him take out and make it part of the partial. It drives me nuts too.

It feels like too much pressure on the adjoining teeth. I just don't want that big gap in the front.

All I will need is a broom and a black pointy hat and my outfit will be complete.

I hate to sound ungrateful; my husband and aunt have spent a bundle on all this. I never thought I'd lose my teeth at age 52.

But as with all things having to do with this disease, we have to adjust. Right?

Just a footnote. I asked the dentist about an implant in the front and he said with my immune system it would be a very bad idea. Plus they cost about $4000! A piece.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement