LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » rmsf symptoms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: rmsf symptoms
Geet3721
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15751

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Geet3721     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have a list of symptoms of rmsf? Or a link to it . I just searched and couldn't fin anything and just found out from my llmd that I'm positive for babs bart and rmsf

Help!

Thanks

--------------------
When the going gets tough. . . I'll keep fighting!
Ms. Geet3721

New LLMD, New abx, New life coming right up!!!!

Posts: 714 | From La La Lyme Land | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geet3721
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geet3721     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up anyone?

--------------------
Ms. Geet3721

Posts: 714 | From La La Lyme Land | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
average joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for average joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found on MedicineNet:
Patients infected with R. rickettsii usually visit a physician in their first week of illness, following an incubation period of about 5-10 days after a tick bite.

The early clinical presentation of Rocky Mountain spotted fever is often nonspecific and may resemble many other infectious and non-infectious diseases. Initial symptoms may include fever, nausea, vomiting, muscle pain, lack of appetite and severe headache. Later signs and symptoms include rash, abdominal pain, joint pain, and diarrhea.

Three important components of the clinical presentation are fever, rash, and a previous tick bite, although one or more of these components may not be present when the patient is first seen for medical care. Rocky Mountain spotted fever can be a severe illness, and the majority of patients are hospitalized

--------------------
If you play at the beach, expect to get some sand in your shorts [Smile]

Posts: 223 | From central pa | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geet3721
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geet3721     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you average joe. I'm just confused because my igenex lab work said I tested positive but I dont have any of those symptoms. What does that mean? anyone know?

--------------------
Ms. Geet3721

map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those symptoms are early stage RMSF. Rash, fever, etc so sick one would be at the doctor.
I had all that early on and tested negative.

I still have some form of RMSF, rickettsia or something in me from orginal flu-like illness from he!! in July '99. I was on abx doxy 10 days later. It didn't touch whatever this unknown bacteria is including lyme bacteria.

So let me see if I can find some chronic or acute sx that would linger later on or even years later if the doxy didn't kill it early on.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geet3721
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15751

Thanks Pam

I'm freaked how can I be positive for this horrible (potentially fatal disease) and not know it?

--------------------
Ms. Geet3721

map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm not so sure that some of us still have it or some form of it even after months of treatment.

I just printed off some info on RMSF and rickettsia that has me very upset. I will share later.

Pam

--------------------

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rivendell
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivendell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow!

I was just going to post about the same thing.

I was bitten in 1996 and three times in the last two years. Treated for each tick bite, but I'm still sick.

Had a tick panel done last year. I called to get the results and was told that everything was fine.

Last February I had a strange rash on my chest/neck and tops of my hands. I thought it was Lyme disseminating. I also felt very hot and the rash felt hot. I had just reduced the dosage of my herbs.

I upped the dosage and added grapefruit seed extract. The rash faded. I went off the extract, rash returned. Took the extract again, and rash went away for good.

When I got a copy of my tick panel a few days later, I saw that I had tested positive for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever IgG 1.64.

Urgent Care told me the results were fine.

Anyway my new PCP has me on Doxy for two months.

But, I am very concerned, too!

[ 05-11-2011, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: Rivendell ]

Posts: 1358 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Florence1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geet...........i tested positive in 2005.....really unwell.....treated for 2 weeks not tested for anything else......then 2009 came and everything fell apart.....symptoms popping up every month till i couldnt go on any longer..

then was diagnosed with lyme and babesia......anyway...i went to see a very well known LLMD and he said unless you are deathly ill need to be hospitalized and have the definitive rmsf rash it is more likely erlichiosis, which can actually give you a false positive rmsf reading.........

so i would be hesitiant to take the labs at face value especially as you said you dont have the typical symptoms......

I take it you have been tested for all the coinfections????

--------------------
Oct 09 Positive CDC Western Blot
Jan 10 Positive Babesia Duncani
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

Posts: 739 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

I've posted often about my skin lesions that pop up on a regular bases on tops of my feet, both elbows and left breast the last several months.

Then last week it was under both breasts and my elbows. They start as hard knots under the skin. I feel (not by touch, by painful itch deep in that area)them coming about before they actually come to the surface.

Today I'm catching up on emails from few weeks and come across this email about Rickettsia and the lone star tick. I know about lone star tick embedded in me in '05.

Was ill since '98, obvisious lyme & co in '99. But I knew something got me in '05. I've thought it was big dose of bartonella.

Today I see picture of my skin lesions I get every 2 1/2-3 weeks. No sooner do I get them clearer up and here they come again.

Look at this pic:

http://www2a.cdc.gov/ncidod/ts/print.asp

That lone star tick bite festered and healed over and over again and again for a good 8 mths.
It would be an active lesion area obvisious tick bite, clear up completely and every few weeks, it turned into an itchy tick bite, lesion looking and all.

I've got to figure this out. '09 I asked for Rickettsia blood test and lab did RMSF. It was negative again, just like it's been numerous times. I can't remember if I had RMSF test between '05-'09?

I know early into illness my PCP did RMSF test 3-4 times for a few years.

What is the typical sx of RMSF or rickettsia later stages? I'm still looking.

Pam

--------------------

Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Florence1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pam ....i may be wrong but i thought rmsf is an acute illness not chronic as rmsf is fatal once out of control is that is not over years it is a much shorter time frame to get to that point if not treated aggressively......and is truly rmsf.....

again i may be wrong....but i dont think it allows you to have chronic problems.....unless you are talking about being seriously ill having been treated and then with subsequent issues......

--------------------
Oct 09 Positive CDC Western Blot
Jan 10 Positive Babesia Duncani
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

Posts: 739 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

I was treated with doxy-IV rocephin-flagyl, combos, you name it from July 99-April '04.

'05 tick bite I just used rife machine and my many alternative protocols. I figured what the heck I was already ill with so much.

By end '05 I had some obvisious new sx going on that pointed to bartonella. I focused on bart with rife and of course lyme.

Did levaquin in '09 some. Rifampin '10. Abx helped bart sx but as soon as I came off them....down the hill I'd go. Of late I'm hitting bart with some new freqs that are getting at him.

I don't believe for one minute that rickettsia, RMSF or any of their close cousins are not chronic. According to the CDC, NIH, AMA and their brothers.....

I've had enough abx to kill off any and all these guys.

I was seriously ill and I refer to it as a close to death experience in July 99 and remained that ill for at least a year. The next 6 yrs I felt like walking dead.

I'm positive for numerous viruses like Mycoplasma pN, HHV-6, CMV. Who knows what else?

I've been tick bitten(lost count), mite bitten, flea bitten, brown recluse spider bitten so many times in the last 6 yrs. Mosquito's don't like me? I'm probably bad blood smell to them?

I don't know why I try so hard to figure it all out back to 98. I feel I can't get well until I know my enemies, one by one.

Pam

--------------------

Rivendell
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivendell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tested positive for RMSF too! IgG 1:64.

See my post above.

The tests for Erchiliosis were negative. I'm scared too!

Posts: 1358 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geet3721
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15751

I'm sorry Pam. It seems you are in a very frustrating place. I dont know much about RMSF or really sny of the coinfections because this is the first LLMD that igenex tested me for coinfections and got a positive. Were you tested with Igenex? Because all my other labs were negative but igenex not so much.

Thank you florence for that info, I have another appointment with my LLMD on monday so I'm definitely going to ask about erlichiosis and if that is possibly what I have. my LLMD put me on doxy anyway though.

Thank you all.

--------------------
Ms. Geet3721

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement