LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » lyme and sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lyme and sex
katrinab
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katrinab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there anyone here who is almost positive that they infected their partner even with wearing condoms? i am worried that this is a possibility and if i should abstain from kissing, having sex, etc.
Posts: 723 | From boston,ma | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WITH a condom? Pretty danged unlikely.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are people on this site who say it is contagious. But the fact of the matter is the jury is still out in the science area. Some say yes, some know.

"we don't know" is likely the correct answer.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD said to wear condoms b/c there may be a connection through intercourse but said not to worry about kissing.

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrinab
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katrinab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok i can deal with that, but i thought no kissing would be horrible!! I am glad that i can still give kisses
Posts: 723 | From boston,ma | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ks90
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm kidding. Please don't take anything that comes out of my mouth seriously.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO....if you feel better than use a condom. You will NOT get it from kissing, hugging, being close. As said the jury is far out on the contagious bit from intercourse. Dr R say it is not to go out and have some GOOD sex!

This always becomes such and issue on here. No one really knows so I guess use a condom until they truly find out, but please do not stop hugging and kissing. I did that when I first go to on here and it was just horrible. Thank God my doc told me otherwise.

God bless and live life and love.

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what's sex??

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL, Randi.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm. my hubby doesn't have lyme but I do and I am convinced my son has it as well. I'll soon find out.

Now, whether or not he got it from me...if he does have it that is...I don't know because I don't know how long I've had it. It is a possibility I guess, but we do live in an endemic area...we go camping...and we stay for a week in mountains every year in the summer. So, he could have gotten bit and I just didn't know.

Anyway, my hubby got tested and didn't have any positive bands...at all.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randi....Its that thing we used to have way back when lol!! Rip your clothes off, and not because we need a nap!lmao

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh i had that in college. way back when....LOL

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geet3721
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geet3721     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HAHAHA Randi!

--------------------
When the going gets tough. . . I'll keep fighting!
Ms. Geet3721

New LLMD, New abx, New life coming right up!!!!

Posts: 714 | From La La Lyme Land | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD and I are convinced that my husband got it from me. All three of my children have it.

Since he is not treating and I am, we use condoms.

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
we'll win
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for we'll win     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that not only is Lyme contangious through intercourse, but from almost any sexual activity.
Posts: 107 | From maryland | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
we'll win
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for we'll win     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it makes one a bad speller. Please see earlier post.
Posts: 107 | From maryland | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since not everyone even remembers being bit by a tick, isn't is possible that both husband and wife could have been bit?

I'm just having a difficult time believing this is sexually transmitted. There are also very little credible studies done on this.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JunkYardWily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JunkYardWily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by we'll win:
I believe that not only is Lyme contangious through intercourse, but from almost any sexual activity.

if that were the case the whole world would have lyme

--------------------
sick since 9-09
igg, 18,23,41 reactive
igm, 41 reactive

Posts: 436 | From Kansas City | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we thought it was sexually transmissible, we would have to explain why so many couples on here haven`t spread it to one another..

The ones that both have it could have easily been infected by the ticks and not known it. People should stop blaming themselves if their partners become infected.

Until it is scientifically proven, we need to stop speculating. Take precautions if you think you need to but don`t tell others it`s sexually transmitted when we really don`t know.

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AIDS passes thru 50% of condoms? Am i understanding that post correctly?

I really do not think that is true.

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erikjh1972
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erikjh1972     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the saga continues.............

--------------------
3 months Doxy
8 months of Tetra
7 months of Biaxin/Plaq.
4 months Doxy/Biaxin/Plaq.
5 months Biaxin/Plaq.
Back on Doxy/Biax/Plaq
On the road to recovery.
Trying to make people Lyme Aware.......

Posts: 289 | From R.I. | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JunkYardWily:
quote:
Originally posted by we'll win:

if that were the case the whole world would have lyme
-amen

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erikjh1972
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erikjh1972     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the saga continues.............

--------------------
3 months Doxy
8 months of Tetra
7 months of Biaxin/Plaq.
4 months Doxy/Biaxin/Plaq.
5 months Biaxin/Plaq.
Back on Doxy/Biax/Plaq
On the road to recovery.
Trying to make people Lyme Aware.......

Posts: 289 | From R.I. | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geet3721
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geet3721     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second that amen Lymetoo!!

--------------------
When the going gets tough. . . I'll keep fighting!
Ms. Geet3721

New LLMD, New abx, New life coming right up!!!!

Posts: 714 | From La La Lyme Land | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

well at least aids is something i don't have.....LOL got everything else it seems...

--------------------

payne
Member # 26248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for payne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
randi - got kids ? that was sex.
Junkyard willy - the whole world may have it.

Think about it ?
the end of mankind,
the same way man kind started- SEX

My LLMD really was intense about my sexual partner being infected, she's been with me 20 yrs and we don't even kiss now.. try loving someone like that, it not sexual anymore its LOVE.. whats sex got to do with it...? children.
Meanwhile as the world turns, my children are worried i may pass it onto my grandchildren,
life gets old real quick when no touches you, hugs you , kisses you !!!
if a tick passes it through their salivia, why cant you...
Is it passed from animals to animals..?
like has your dog had lyme and pups did too?
God. . . . Bless the children, and unload the burdens any mother that carries the guilt of this, its the CDC that did this. and pharma.

--------------------
TULAREMIA/rabbit fever ?

Posts: 1931 | From mid-michigan | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

never had kids, never been pregnant (and never wanted to either)...
my babies were a chocolate lab, a maine coon and a russian blue cat....

i think lyme can be passed any way, such as simply drink from the same glass, sex, etc. there's just too many undocumented cases of people who cannot figure out how they got it. and of course all those people who never saw a rash or anything, etc.

--------------------

lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with randi, if it's possible for it to be transmitted sexually then we have to consider all the other ways we must be spreading it around.

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shahbah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shahbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sex is a huge part of therapy!!! Don't punish yourself more... lye is not contagious, come on... is MS or lupus contagious? No so is lyme...
Posts: 723 | From Montreal | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's scary that you can possibly get lyme through a mosquito bite. How many people get mosquito bites throughout the year?

I am a magnet for mosquitoes. I am convinced that is how I got lyme!!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Shahbah: Sex is a huge part of therapy!!!
=
another amen!! [Smile] If I couldn't hug and kiss my husband I would want to just die. Forget it. Touch is HEALING. To deny yourself that is to deny LIVING .. to deny LIFE itself.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Laura_W
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura_W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with Lymetoo.

[kiss] [lick] [group hug]

Touch!!!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
10/10 EIA 1.4+, 41 (IGG), 23 (IGM)
Bitten over 20 years ago.
Currently not treating, looking for a Dr who will work with my insurance lol.

More muscular, cognitive, nerve issues than joints. Facial droop and blurred vision.

Posts: 323 | From Michigan | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People need to stop living in fear.

There is NO / ZERO / NONE / NADA ILADS endorsed evidence indicating it is transmitted sexually. At the lyme event I hosted a few weeks ago, the VP of ILADS said many times multiple members of a family are infected because they live in teh same area and are exposed to the same vectors, etc. (they all play in the same yard.)

And..if by some remote chance it was contagious, everyone on here is now smart enough to recognize symptoms and get proper treatment for their lovedones ASAP. The big issue for people is when they don't get a proper diagnosis and roam from dr to dr. That won't happen if you know about lyme.

We seem to have this conversation each month. I would like to end it. It spreads fear when ther eis no proof. If ILADS comes out and shows it, then I'm all for it. But until that time...live your life. It is the key to getting well.

[ 05-26-2011, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: bcb1200 ]

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began

IgM Igenex +/CDC +

Currently on:

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

AGREE, bcb!! We don't need to rehash this over and over....but I'm sure we will.

It's ridiculous to leave out LOVE while going thru this disease!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lululymemom
Member # 26405

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bcb1200:
[QB] People need to stop living in fear.

There is ILADS endorsed evidence indicating it is transmitted sexually.

Bcb, where can we get this information?

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

bcb1200
Member # 25745

Typo...there is NOT ILADS evidence.

I have corrected above.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began

IgM Igenex +/CDC +

Currently on:

lululymemom
Member # 26405

Thanks, that's what I thought.. [Smile]

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be a lot more prevalent if that were the case (transmitted sexually). I think a good immune system keeps it at bay.
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by bcb1200:
Typo...there is NOT ILADS evidence.

I have corrected above.

-
MAN! I was wondering!!!! [Cool]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by chiquita incognita:
I remember reading about a study in which it was proven that those who have love and social connection in their lives, also have greater immune resistance.

-
There ya go! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"People need to stop living in fear."

"It's ridiculous to leave out LOVE while going thru this disease!!"

i thought this thru many years ago when my kids were just starting to date...

i KNOW there are sooooo may ppl out there who HAVE lyme but don't know they have lyme and they are not BEING CAREFUL-whether it is the air they breathe out, saliva, blood they give or something else..."

i decided it is not worth the guilt it would lay on my kids to TEACH them they may be contaegious...they were going thru hell as it was

i stand by my decision today. and agree with the two quotes i started this post with.

i also agree about "love" and happiness strengtheing the immune system

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kramberry
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kramberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are coinfections always transmitted too? Like if your partner has lyme and bart could your partner just get lyme? Or you get both too?

--------------------
 -

Posts: 215 | From California | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement