LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Low blood pressure/very high pulse/intense chest pain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Low blood pressure/very high pulse/intense chest pain
ks90
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took 400mg/daily of Minocycline for two days a five days ago, and one of those nights I couldn't sleep. I felt my thyroid gland ache as if it were being attacked by something when I didn't go to bed as scheduled, and then a day later my body temperature was barely hovering above 94F. I began shaking, losing consciousness, and staggering around as if drunk.

Now I have a low blood pressure, a very high pulse and periodic intense chest pain, and I'm not sure whether or not it started before or after. I was also prescribed Bactrim DS and Clindamycin orally and am not sure if this is a possible side effect of these medications. Help.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, have bouts of very low blood pressure and very high heart rates. My LLMD gave me Bystolic and that seems to help keep it at an even keel.

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this sounds very dangerous...shouldn't you be going to er?

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ks90
Unregistered

I haven't been sick very long.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ks90:
I haven't been sick very long.

-
Doesn't matter... sick is sick.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ks90
Unregistered

88/59 systolic/diastolic. 90bmp/pulse.
Now 105/61 and 73bpm/pulse.
Ha. Delirious, shaking, hallucinating. You can't kill me mother****er.

philly78
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it isn't what you want to hear but you NEED to see a doctor. Or at least call and inform him/her of what is going on. Seriously.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcaringella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mcaringella   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time for the ER!

--------------------
Blessings to you!

Posts: 141 | From Southern California | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please go to the ER!

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ks90
Unregistered

I wonder, is low blood pressure a sign of a herx? Because upon taking Clindamycin 300mg + Bactrim DS together is when my bp and pulse dropped. But why 89/59 and 90 beats per minute? Isn't that near fatal? Experiences please people!
ks90
Unregistered

Oh, and heading to ER and Cardiologist ASAP.
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My BP is sometimes as low as 90 over 50 with a resting heart rate of 110+. It has been high of 186/90. I think we just have some serious dysregulation in our brains. I tremble, my teeth chatter and I get very dizzy and must go back to bed.

Agree with the rest....you need to get to a good cardiologist ASAP. My CD does not understand my illness, but he does keep a close eye on my heart, runs the usual tests.

But it was my LLMD who came up with the Bystolic to regulate my pressure and it really does help me. The other thing he watches carefully is my thyroid levels....those, too, can affect your heart.

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

But why 89/59 and 90 beats per minute?

If the blood pressure goes down, the heart rate must go up, to try to get blood up to the brain.

[ 05-30-2011, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: Carol in PA ]

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh, and heading to ER and Cardiologist ASAP.

Good! Keep us posted!

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ks90
Unregistered

Went to the ER. They gave me 1 litre NaCl intravenously. Performed basic labs (liver enzymes, A1C, T3 & T4, CBC, etc) + EKG and everything came back normal. Was sent home because nothing else they could do.

Called LLMD and he suggested taking Clindamycin 300mg 30min. after Bactrim DS instead of together. Told me to eat more salt, take L. Acidophilus, drink more water and electrolytes. I already take L. Acidophilus as well as over 20 billion CFU of at least 12 strains/daily, as well as drink 2-3 litres of well-filtered water/daily, and about .5 litres organic orange juice.

Upon following this LLMD's regimen, nothing's changed and it lasts all day. I.e. still low bp, high pulse, chest pain so I'm staggering around like a drunk, dizzy and disoriented the entire day in addition to diarrhea, which I found all were caused when taking the Clindamycin alone or with Bactrim DS. Will call tomorrow about this and will also setup cardiologist appointment. Thoughts on what an effective replacement antibiotic for Clindamycin is?

seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the clindamycin is causing diarrhea you need to be tested for c difficile. Especially with that antibiotic you should also be taking s. boularrdi -- it is a good yeast which helps prevent c. diff

For now olive leaf extract would also be helpful to stop the diarrhea.

You need to replace sodium, potassium and magnesium all if you have diarrhea -- not just sodium. Actually sometimes decreasing the amount of fluids may be necessary short term to balance out your electrolytes.

For hubby the easiest way to balance his minerals is an epsom salts bath with added baking soda and salt substitute (made from potassium).

Goal is to work up to 3 cups of epsom salts (magnesium sulphate), 2 cups of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and 2 or 3 teaspoons of potassium salt substitute. Your body will only absorb the amount of minerals you need. It is kind of like swimming in the ocean or the dead sea. you could also add a couple of tablespoons of powdered mustard or ginger to improve blood circulation.

Start with 1/2 cup each of the epsom salts and baking soda and stay in a lukewarm bath for 20 or 30 minutes. If you start feeling worse then get out of the tub and try again another day for a longer time. The bath could cause a mild detox reaction until your minerals get back in balance.

This is not medical advice, just my opinion based on hubby's experiences.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
:If the blood pressure goes down, the heart rate must go up, to try to get blood up to the brain."

OMG! I never heard it explained so simply and understandably. What a revelation. Thank you, Carol.

I've been taking Florinef for years to raise my BP, which helps a lot. When I'm worse, I have to take more. It makes your body retain sodium, which is how it raises the BP. You may well need it.

It sounds like the meds are too much for you right now all at once. And you surely need LOTS of detox: coffee enemas, lemon water, etc. Do a search her or on google for coffee enema instructions. They are a life-saver, along with all the other detox methods.

I'm sorry you are going through this. But thank goodness you found this board. Stay in close touch with your LLMD about your symptoms. The ER only knows the usual stuff, of course, but they can rule out stuff and help manage severe symptoms.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My BP is always low.. It's the symptoms you are having that are worrisome.

You might try eliminating the orange juice. It could be giving you yeast .. hence the diarrhea and dehydration.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ditto on the orange juice and sbc...could have c-diff

usually you kow it...the smell is really differet

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think some people react very badly to the tetracycline abx.. My daughter did. She could not tolerate doxy and Mino falls into that same category. She had heart and blood pressure issues. She needed assistance just walking to the car. After stopping the Doxy, she still on occasion has heart issues.

That being said, she also has Babesia, which can present with the issues you are having. Treating parasites and starting on a Babesia regimen got rid of most of those symptoms. She now takes herbs to control the symptoms.

You are on abx that do treat babesia and I'm guessing it could likely be a herx reaction. It may be too strong a regimen for you and backing off would be adviseable in my opinion.

BTW her BP was also around 89/60 with lots of palps and skipped beats.

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigstan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigstan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like POTS dude. Very common with Lyme disease. Look it up along with autonomic dysfunction. Get a tilt table done.

--------------------
HERX is a Four Letter Word!

Posts: 716 | From If you're going through hell, keep going......Winston Churchill | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My blood pressure at my LLMD's office was 68/46 one day.

I have Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia as well as Neurally Mediated Hypotension.

Adding salt helped. So did florinef.

Try taking one of your meds at a time when starting something new.

I learned that the hard way. Minocycline and my body are not a good mix.

I crawled around due to severe vertigo.

My young children were thrilled and screaming "horsey ride" and trying to climb on my back.

It wasn't funny then. It certainly is now.

After that point, I always started one new med at a time.

Took it for about 4-5 days prior to adding something else in.

Helped me be able to pinpoint any potential problems and which med it may be.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ks90
Unregistered

Forgot to ask. What does C. diff diarrhea look like? And what an effective replacement for Clindamycin is?
chootik
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chootik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ks90 and everyone.

I have low blood pressure too but my heart beat is around low 70s. Before getting sick my BP was always 110/70, now it's anywhere from 90-100/60. It def. is not comfortable and I hate it.

When doing research I came across this article
http://www.endfatigue.com/health_articles_c/Cfs_fm-treating_low_blood_volume_and_heart.html

It's from Dr. Teitelbaum's site. He is THE guy in the CFS community. I'm following his recommendations by adding more salt and iron in my diet. I also will add the adrenal supplement he recommends and also the D-Ribose to see what happens.

I hate the low blood volume issue. It really effects many aspects of our lives and I'm still young and refuse to sit on the couch all day long!

If you guys decide to try this keep me posted.

Chootik

Posts: 247 | From Ca | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement