LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Surgery is a no-no with any kind of Lyme and Co-infection

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Surgery is a no-no with any kind of Lyme and Co-infection
Caniggia
Member # 30479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caniggia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just want to warn you all. I was operated on my jaw back in 2007 and that was when the ALS symptoms started. Before that I had had chronic fatigue for about four years without knowing why. When my symptoms started to be ALS, I found out that I was infected with Chla Pneu, Borrelia and Ehrlichia with Ehrlichia and Chla Pneu being the biggest enemies. They are probably in my brain destroying it all together now. It gets worse in stressful situations. Beware of surgery from the neck and up and all other surgery too. Read my blog for more information.

--------------------
My blog about my condition - http://borreliawenttofar.wordpress.com - Diagnosed with cellular activity for Borrelia, Ehrlichia, Chlamydia Pneu. Also have the herpes simplex virus.

Posts: 52 | From Sweden | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ardraneala
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ardraneala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ugh and i wanted to get my jaw fixed before i was 33....

--------------------
Listen. That's all we ask.

Posts: 172 | From toronto | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caniggia
Member # 30479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caniggia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How nice that I managed to warn you. =) I don't even know if you should ever do it. It's not worth it. I looked good for three years then the atrophy started. I would rather have had my jaw problem and be just another lyme case. I suspect the immune defense became so weak during anesthesia that it went to ALS.

--------------------
My blog about my condition - http://borreliawenttofar.wordpress.com - Diagnosed with cellular activity for Borrelia, Ehrlichia, Chlamydia Pneu. Also have the herpes simplex virus.

Posts: 52 | From Sweden | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This all started happening for me when I had sinus surgery. Woke up and have not been the same since. I also have a Cerebral spinal fluid leak since that surgery. My hunch is that that is how this so suddenly and blatantly effected my brain. Of course nobody will acknowledge the CSF leak though I have mentioned it to many doctors.

I agree...surgery aggravates these infections.........wish I had known.

--------------------
Tick bite in 2006, bullseye rash, treated with 2 rounds of 2 weeks of doxy. (once in 2006, once in 2009)
Dx with chronic Lyme May 2011.
LLMD April 2012, Treating with omnicef/zith
Lots of supplements!

Posts: 640 | From Connecticut | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read recently that the spirochetes like damaged tissues, so maybe this is why ppl get worse after surgeries. The same source said make sure you don't exercise so much that you break down your muscles, because this also is damaged tissue and will give the spirochetes a feast.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With proper treatment, you can recover from the effects of surgery. It's a big setback, but can usually be overcome. Don't see why it couldn't be overcome.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura_W
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura_W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After my hysterectomy is when my symptoms started.

About six months later, still undiagnosed a dr gave me a dose pack of medrol (steriod) and everything went full blown.

Now I'm working on treating the Lyme.

--------------------
10/10 EIA 1.4+, 41 (IGG), 23 (IGM)
Bitten over 20 years ago.
Currently not treating, looking for a Dr who will work with my insurance lol.

More muscular, cognitive, nerve issues than joints. Facial droop and blurred vision.

Posts: 323 | From Michigan | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura_W:
After my hysterectomy is when my symptoms started.

That's when mine got worse. But I still recovered. Lucky me! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surgery is stress to our bodies. That's why you put the body/immune system under stress and bam you have a new illness.

Many people over the years have said surgery, car accident, work stress, divorce, pregnancy, death of a loved one, life sets them up for this illness.

Many people are walking around with little aches and pains or even being told they have fibro or chronic fatigue etc and then BAM, something happens in life that throws the immune system into a tailspin.

Gigi likes to say, we have had a life time of stresses or toxins put into our bodies and all it takes is one of the mother bacteria(s) to be released into us and then everything starts falling apart.

Our world is toxic from what we eat, what we breathe, what they've put in our teeth for years, the terrible dental tx, metals, parasites, where we live, what we do daily like our jobs, the chemicals that we are exposed to.

We are ticking time bombs. Something broke the camels back? You can hardly ever just point to one thing. Usually it was a combo of things.

Many over the years have said they were athletic, ate healthy foods, took good care of themselves and they didn't see this happening to them.

Maybe all of them have moved on and been "cured". They were the lucky ones that took abx for a year or two and got back to their lives?

Recently some have even stopped in here that were in remission, life threw them a curve ball and they have sx starting again.

Until there is a better way of treating and more research and education and development....it's the animal or in this case the bite of some blood sucker that made us all come here for help.

But one thing I've learned the hard way with this illness.....STRESS is my number one enemy.

This illness is stressful. It is very hard on our bodies, minds and spirit.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ardraneala
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ardraneala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but when im 33 that'll be 7 years....isn't there a way to work out with your LLMD to put you on prophylaxis, granted you have reached remission?

--------------------
Listen. That's all we ask.

Posts: 172 | From toronto | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caniggia
Member # 30479

I would not risc it considering that my body has reacted with a total shutdown. Maybe I'm just weak. Everybody is their own chief.

--------------------

Garden
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it depends, too, on the nature of the surgery and how necessary it is.

One of my children, who may have Lyme, but certainly has other things, needs her tonsils out. That is likely to help her, not hurt her. Dr K is big on tonsil removal if it's a problem.

Also, a few years ago, I had a HUGE polyp removed from my uterus. TG it was benign. But you know, that can change.

Though looking back, I suppose it could have made my symptoms worse, I have no interest in developing uterine cancer, either. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

--------------------
Garden

"Fibromylagia" for 8+ years
Pos IgeneX WB per both Igenex and CDC
Pos Neuroscience MyLymeImmuneID
Started tx for Lyme in March 2011

Posts: 245 | From East Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I said earlier that I crashed big time after sinus surgery.

We still hadn't figured out why...3 years later.

So I had a hysterectomy thinking it was the fibroids, heavy bleeding, and anemia that were making me feel so badly. Ironically, just before I had the hysterectomy I developed a MRSA infection (treatment=doxy) so I was on doxy when I had the hysterectomy and I handled it fine. I was really saved that time, just by a coincidence.

Then I went on medrol earlier this year and all you know what broke loose.

Didn't know there were others out there.

--------------------
Tick bite in 2006, bullseye rash, treated with 2 rounds of 2 weeks of doxy. (once in 2006, once in 2009)
Dx with chronic Lyme May 2011.
LLMD April 2012, Treating with omnicef/zith
Lots of supplements!

Posts: 640 | From Connecticut | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulieinct     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had four surgeries in one year, and that's what caused my undiagnosed Lyme to become full-blown, with neuro and cardiac symptoms. Any stress, physical or emotional can cause a dormant Lyme infection to become active.

This is true especially if you have surgery on a joint that is riddled with spirochetes. The surgery just stirs up the hornets' nest and the borrelia mobilize.

--------------------
Sick since at least age 6, now 67. Decades of misdiagnosis. Numerous arthritic, neuro, psych, vision, cardiac symptoms. Been treating for 7 years, incl 8 mos on IV. Bart was missed so now treating that.

Posts: 765 | From nw ct | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I was not aware of all of this. I must be lucky though because I just have knee replacement surgery a year ago and I got along fine.

sick

Posts: 538 | From Iowa | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caniggia
Member # 30479

Yeah my operation was an assymetric jaw surgery, it is something you do if you have the wrong kind of bite and your lower teeth in front of the upper one's. Now if it had not been for free I would have never have done it.

--------------------

Liz D
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liz D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A hyster 7 years ago unleashed the beast of lyme and co. I didnt know what hit me and my doc blamed all my symptoms on menopause. I was bitten with the bullseye in 84 so it remained dormant till surgery.
Posts: 234 | From BC Canada | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My understanding is that steroids are often used in those who have surgery. Steroids lower the immune system and lyme is often free to grow.

I had 2 needed surgeries last year and had no big flares. I made it clear that I wanted NO steroids in anethesia or otherwise unless it was a life or death situation.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had brain surgery a year ago and had to go on Dexamethasone (steriod) - while still having lyme. It was a life or death situation so I NEEDED the roids..

As of a week ago I got back to 95% pre-lyme state. I did have some set backs from the surgery and steriods but in the end I managed okay. Stayed on abx.s during the surgical and post surgical stage.

The reason I am now back on abx.s after a 4 month break is due to a new infection.

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
desertwind, yes life or death you must make decisions. I'd take life anyday.

New bites is my life. That's why I don't know if I'm coming or going. But I know I'm not dying.

I can't do abx, that's just the way it is with me. I have other options. It's not a problem for me.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DoctorLuddite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DoctorLuddite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a thread on this board a few years ago where someone asked if Lyme symptoms started after a surgery, and the response was strongly positive, but more so, if memory serves, if the surgery was one that required general as opposed to local or spinal anesthesia.

This actually makes some sense as general anesthesia involves the use of heavily halogenated gases, and those halogens could then be freed from those gases by natural detoxification processes and generate thyroid disruption by displacing iodine from being incorporated into thyroid hormone.

Thyroid disruption would lead to unstable body temperature, which would result in disturbed metabolic function due to enzyme instability.

This is one theoretical explanation, another is that by blocking the ability to feel pain and then disrupting tissues creates a disconnect in the nervous system between a painful event and the actual experiencing of that pain, which would generate a hypersensitive nervous system that would be caught between trying to understand why it was so sensitive while at the same time trying desperately to keep the painful experience out of conscious awareness, an impossible conundrum.

Posts: 442 | From Biddeford, ME | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting doctorluddite. I had a general for my last surgery and was really afraid that I would have a major relapse but I had no problem with it. That said, I did use rife and other methods to clear the anethesia.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymewreck36
Member # 4395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymewreck36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago, followed by prolapse surgery 2 months later. REcovery was slow and I needed morphine derived pain meds longer than most, but I did recover.

With that said, I fell of a curb 3 years ago and twisted my ankle. Now that spot is the first place I feel it when I reduce my lyme/babs meds. It is like an indicator of some sort.

I am now considering bariatric surgery, but scared to death for all the reasons above.

Mary

Posts: 1032 | From North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caniggia
Member # 30479

Anesthesia is what probably made the bugs break through my blood brain bareer.

--------------------

Jamers
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had several surgeries when I was young and nothing. Then in 2006 I had breast surgery and woke up with a "virus". Very babesia like symptoms, dizzy, hot and weak. I got over it in a week but for the next couple of years had random lyme symptoms until I just crashed in 2009 and couldn't get out of bed.

With no known bite, I estimated it was around 2006 since thats when the surgery bothered me and not prior. I wonder if I had never gotten that surgery if my immune system would still have this in check.

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
would a dental implant be included among surgery?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DoctorLuddite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DoctorLuddite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes a dental implant is surgery, the place where they anchor it is a nerve conduit that runs directly to the brain.
Posts: 442 | From Biddeford, ME | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whitmore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whitmore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, this is really depressing. I'm hoping that once I'm better or at least in remission, that I can 'refresh' my lyme raddled appearance. I figure that the happiness boost I get from this will counteract the negatives!
Posts: 226 | From Princeton | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had an abdominal cyst and had to emergency surgery. i was hemorraging so badly i had to have multiple transfusions. spent two weeks in the hospital. had to have an amergency hysterectomy.

that was my downard spiral.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beagle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beagle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had mild Lyme symptoms since first positive Elisa in 2005. I was still active and living with ticks (my job) but functioning.j

Total knee replacement Sept. 2010 - Lyme and co's took over after that. Been housebound ever since. Definately believe the surgery is what allowed the TBI's to take over my life.

Posts: 348 | From MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beths
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doc said if you need surgery-take abx before and after-even if symptom free, and in remission.

It seems those that had surgery didn't know they had lyme. If you take abx before-you should be ok

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caniggia
Member # 30479

quote:
Originally posted by beths:
My doc said if you need surgery-take abx before and after-even if symptom free, and in remission.

It seems those that had surgery didn't know they had lyme. If you take abx before-you should be ok

I knew I had chronic fatigue before surgery, but other than that no, my surgery was the biggest one you can have. My face was swollen for three weeks so it figures that I got what I have from that. I'm glad a few people is warned. This subject should be sticky. I'm concerned about my fellow people.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement