LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What if any meds were given for Nueropathy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What if any meds were given for Nueropathy?
springshowers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone here taking medications to try to treat nueropathy or are you using natural treatment ideas?
Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am having good results with several supplements.

B complex vitamins
Sublingual B12
Gotu Kola

The Gotu Kola was a surprise...I began taking it for improved microcirculation, hoping to get better brain function.
What happened was, that I noticed that my hands worked better.
I wasn't fumbling pills and dropping lids as much!

B complex vitamins stopped the numbness in my feet THE NEXT DAY.
They had been numb for six weeks.

Sublingual B12 (NOW brand Instant Energy) reduced the neuropathic aching in my legs in less than six hours.
I was taking it every eight hours for the first two months, then went down to twice daily.
Whenever I ran out, I noticed the aching pain came back.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alpha Lipoic Acid is given to diabetics for neuropathy with very good results.

Here is a link that says it is also good for neuropathy for Lyme.

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/alphalipoicacid/a/alphalipoicacid.htm

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THanks for the info.. both of you..

REgarding Alpha Lipoic Acid sadly if your on THyroid Meds can be a problem and may lower the affectiveness of your thyroid treatment.

NOt good.. for me.. Since I am on thyroid meds.

Has anyone heard of or used Metanx ?
A prescription but using a form of three supplements I think.

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please listen to Gael, neuropathy is parasites.
I will also answer your pm soon.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
karen, interesting

Is it because the parasites get into the nerves?

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laurie sm
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laurie sm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have awful neuropathy. I would be interested to know how this is parasites and how would treat for it. Gael are you out there?
Laurie
so sick of being sick

Posts: 256 | From long island, new york | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting about the parasites.

ALA, B-12, and a B-Complex helped my daughter to a degree, and then her doctor put her on Neurontin. It has been a lifesaver.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used the prescription Metanx. It is a combo of the active most absorbable forms of B12, folic acid, and B6.

Here is more info: http://www.metanx.com/WhatIsMetanx

I take 2 tablets daily and feel better doing this than when I took 1 methyl B12 shot daily.

You do want to make sure your doctor writes "DAW" on the RX so that the pharmacy won't substitute a generic. Unfortunately with this med the generic is similar but not equivalent.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
racer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for racer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think my LLMD would disagree about neuropathy being parasites. He says it is due to demyelination due to borrellia bacteria invading the nerves.

racer

--------------------
Me - Igenex: IgM: 41IND, IgG: 39IND, 41+ but Plasmid PCR Positive
Kiddo - after 1 year IV - positive Lyme culture (before IV: IgM:31,34,41,83-93 IND; IgG: 41+++, 66+)

Posts: 133 | From CT | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

My doc also says it is from nerve damage from infections but also from it being suffocated of sorts. So What the answer is I do not know. I never had any problems till now.

Weird thing is it came on after I stopped taking antibiotics and or any treatments but was feeling better actually overall.

Within a month or so my feet started tingling and a month later half of my foot numb.. and so though it does seem to be worse on some days than others.

I am getting tested for levels of nutriets and seeing a neuro. I heard Metanx is good. Thanks for your reply about it. If I am going to spend money on shots and or supplements that add up to the same amount as Mentanx I would rather maybe try the mentanx that is designed for it and I have read up on it and seems to be pretty safe.

I also have a family member working at a hospital that is doing studies and research on this subject right now and they told her to tell me that Metanx is the way to go right now and has best results. I am not sure what else they have tested or researched either and if they compared any natural things etc/ Will try to find out though.

Thanks for your help

ON the parasites? I am not sure how I feel about that or not? And if it is or not? How would we prove that? I believe parasites are a huge issue. But are they actually the cause of it and are actually there at the nerve endings or is it the infection causing the damage.

IF it is the later I do believe that for sure.. So yes I am treating for protozoan and parasites and will always continue to as I do think and believe they are a huge deal.

But if they caused the damage maybe it needs to be "repaired" or "restored" as compared to treat only the infection?

??

sbh93
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbh93     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't stomach Gotu Kola--just wanted to note how gross it is before you spend money on it. Carol, do you have any tips to make it go down easier? It made me 100x more nauseous.

--------------------
------------
It took 20 years to find out I'm not crazy.
New bite in 2010 pushed my body over the edge. Positive for lyme, babs, bart, and myco.
I am not a doctor and happily offer only my own opinions.

Posts: 357 | From The Beach | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotu Kola is gross? It made you nauseated?
Geez, the stuff I took wasn't a problem at all.

I've been taking capsules, either Nature's Way or Nature's Answer.

http://www.iherb.com/Gotu-Kola

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spring,

if you treat proto and parasites now -
on which med are you on now? Or when it started.

Maybe the med is the reason, f.e. it could kill parasites and this creates bad neuropathy. Gael, we need help.

Like you can get neuropathy from Wobenzym, from A bart, coconut oil,......whatever attacks them.
Maybe you even feel the protozoas, they are not so small.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbh93
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbh93     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, well, the stuff I got from the ND's office was liquid. Now I know. [Wink]

--------------------
------------
It took 20 years to find out I'm not crazy.
New bite in 2010 pushed my body over the edge. Positive for lyme, babs, bart, and myco.
I am not a doctor and happily offer only my own opinions.

Posts: 357 | From The Beach | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement