LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Carpel Tunnel Surgery Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Carpel Tunnel Surgery Question
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have severe carpet tunnel in my right hand and some in my left. My neurologist wants me to have surgery on my right hand by a hand surgeon.

I also have a very bad right shoulder. My thumb and first two fingers tingle relatively often on my right hand. An EMG a year ago showed significant issues, but fortunately the nerves are not dead. At least they weren't then.

The right side of my neck is so stiff I can barely twist it. It feels like I'm being strangled at times. Scary feeling.

I have tried B-6 without success at 100 mcg a day.

Has anyone went through this surgery and realized success? My hand surgeon said it's a very common surgery with an extremely high success rate.

Oddly, I was told by my neuro and hand surgeon that it is possible for a carpel tunnel issue in a hand to cause issues up the arm and into the neck. This seems off base, but they both insisted. Any thoughts? Just the thought of ANY relief to my neck region makes a surgery worth considering.

They confirmed no steroids would be needed for this.

Would you do it if you had Lyme/Babesia?

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the shoulder issues could also cause the pain in the hand???

No steroids during surgery?? I don't know about that.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The hand surgeon assured me there is no way my shoulder could cause the results on my EMG test. He said it's an independent issue.

Regarding steroids, all I can do is go off my surgeon's statement(s).

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deshi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deshi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
u need treatment, this happened to me and it git better with good treatment. it switched sides on me
Posts: 105 | From Ca | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Deshi, I never thought that carpal tunnel could be linked to lyme.

I know the feeling (it sucks). I did have carpal tunnel release surgery on both hands, and after that, both elbows (ten years ago). I believe I was also originally bit by a tick 15 years ago but didn't know it at the time.

My carpal developed from data entry. It was so painful (severe). It felt like my hand was constantly being electrocuted (numbness, tingling and pressure on the nerve). I could barely rip toilet paper off of the roll.

It wasn't too long after my first hand getting it before my second hand got it (compensation). The release surgery did help.

Then my elbows started to hurt, so I had my elbows done. That really helped. But it wasn't until 2 or 3 years later that my hands went back to normal.

I did work with a woman who got it in her hands and it also really affected her neck and shoulder. She went out on permanent disability. I remember that she was in agony.

My doctor told me that sometimes it works it way up from the hands to the shoulder. I vaguely remember have neck pain too, but I just thought I slept on my neck wrong.

I am no doctor, but personally, it sounds to me like you have a combo of carpal and lyme. It's possible it's all carpal though. This is why you need both doctors.

The co worker I worked with above did a lot of gardening though and she lived right by a creek. So, I have to wonder if some of what she had was lyme too.

If you do get the surgery, take my advice, use your hands. I know it's counter intuitive to the pain, but using your hands is the only way you will get better (I was too gingerly with them for the first two years). I ended up using them 2 years later (we bought a house and I gardened a lot. Weeding irritated them, but I just kept working through the pain, and they got better. Right hand is not 100%, maybe 85-90% (but so much better).

Personally, I'd get the hand surgery, and do nothing with the neck. For the neck, I would just stick with lyme treatment from a LLMD with an ILADS background.

Hang in there!

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to add, I tried steroids, which, by the way, I've heard lyme patients shouldn't do (can cause permanent damage).

The steroid shots only gave me a very slight temporary relief. I was in such agony though, I took it, gladly. But since you have lyme, I probably wouldn't do steroids.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cht girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cht girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there, I am an occupational therapist, certified hand therapist. Carpal tunnel surgery is very common, usually very successful, and rehab should be fast. You shouldn't need steroids during or after the surgery. If ignored too long, you can lose the ability to use the muscles in your hand if the nerve damage becomes too severe. I have had the surgery myself with good results. Good luck!
Posts: 143 | From Louisville KY | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smileynot
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smileynot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Seek Help..
WOW... we have identical issues. I thought all my nerve issues were coming from lyme messing with the nerves, but I had the EMG and Dr. confirmed bad case of carpal tunnel in Right hand and that the left was pretty bad too. He definitely suggested surgery.. My chiropractor suggested B6 too.. so far i've not noticed any changes with it.. i wear a hand brace ALL the time and wear it really tight and that helps alot. I have alot of pain up my right arm and going into my right shoulder and neck feels tight too.. i think it's all coming from the right hand hurting soo bad. Is anybody here from TN?? Can you recommend a good Dr. to do the surgery??

Posts: 120 | From nashville, TN | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement