LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Zithromax users-Experiences

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Zithromax users-Experiences
Jane2904
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Looking for experiences with Zithromax and if you experienced side effects were you able to continue with Zith?

Daughter has more headaches and eye pain, etc, since beginning Zithromax this week.

I did read through old posts regarding the Zithromax. I am hoping Zith users will chime in and let me know what to expect.

Thanks so much.

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beagle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beagle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been on Zithro 6 months. It helped with my headaches and eye pain some.

Sorry can't me of more help.

Posts: 348 | From MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I worked up a dosage of 250 mg once every other day. I started the beginning of May.

Azithromycin gives me depression and crying jags. It's been a rough drug for me. I had to work up to it.

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is your daughter taking it one week on, one week off, etc.?

I was started on zith last week and even though headache was worse and felt it was clearing out sinuses, I slept much better.

Off this week and sleep is worse and ache around eye is noticeable.

I'm taking 250 mg twice a day.

I do need to take it with lots of food

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zithromax can also cause ear ringing and it gave me bad headaches when I took it - but I also started taking it at full dose.

I have heard that working up slowly would help.

I hope she gets some relief soon.

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuel1212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on 500mg daily.. with Ceftin

I think the ringing in the ears would be the only symptom that I have. However, it has gotten better for sure.

Zith has really helped me with some of my CNS symptoms.

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

Posts: 610 | From Lymeville | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took 500 mg of zithro for about 1.5 years. Just a few days ago I developed an allergy to it brought on by sun exposure. It can cause sun sensitivity which I did not know. I was covered in hives. As zithro stays in the system 68 hours it takes that long to clear up the allergic response.

Otherwise I had no problems except for ear ringing. I would just be aware that you don't want to get too much sun while on it.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickbiter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickbiter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had severe ear ringing and inner ear pain after about 2 months of use, zithromax can damage the inner ear so look out for that. My ear was fine 3 days after stopping it. I was also taking 500m BID so probably too high of dose. I am now taking biaxin instead same dose and no side effects yet.
Posts: 113 | From south dakota | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did zitho for over a year along with mepron and ceftin....NO PROBLEMS

my daughter is currently taking zith, and noticed improvement as soon as she started!! an occasional flare every few weeks but NO other problems!

Biaxin is a cousin of zith..IMO Biaxian is a better drug than zith. Currently taking it now and am happy that it's shaking everything up again!!

Posts: 501 | From Hudson Ticky Valley, NY | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
x9w5a34
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for x9w5a34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have been taking Zith for a few months and haven't had any problems with it.
Posts: 100 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickofsick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickofsick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter has been taking 250mg twice a day for 2 weeks. Mepron for one week. Tolerated well until the past three days - not sure what is going on. Worse nausea, but some may be menstrual pain.
Posts: 312 | From Utah | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had trouble with it, but I haven't tolerated any treatments so far so don't base your decision on my experience. I got the ear ringing and it never went away, even after I stopped taking it, was only on it a couple weeks.

My advice is to protect have her protect her ears just in case. Wear earplugs with using hair dryer, vacuum, going to movies, etc. Maybe use cell phone only on speaker, if have to use. If you search here for Keebler's posts she had great info on how to protect your ears.

Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had hearing loss and tinnitus severe after being on it full dose for two months. Since I have ear issues anyway my LLMD stoppped it. The ringing continued for a few months after beffore it stopped.

This is an abx you need to be careful of since it can do permanent ear hair damage and balance issues. If you experience ear problems call you doc asap

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toppers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toppers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on 500mg for 2 months now, on and off. Probably my favorite abx to date, no side effects and seems to be doing a good number on bartonella.

Much better than Biaxin which gave me metal taste, nightmares, and emotional issues.

Smooth sailing with Zithromax.

Posts: 501 | From Cleveland Ohio | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It just goes to show how each of us are so different and need different meds/treatment. Zith gives me some very bad emotional issues. I've been taking 250 mg every other day for the past month or so for mycoplasma. Maybe, it's hitting bart, too. Who knows?
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I"m on it and have a slight increase in my tinnitus. I hope it goes away afterwards.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ardraneala
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ardraneala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
zith just made me nauseous and a bad taste in my mouth, always eat before you take it. i had loose stools too. now its like taking a sugar pill.

--------------------
Listen. That's all we ask.

Posts: 172 | From toronto | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got major ear ringing while I was on it..but I gotta say, I felt better on Zith than I did with Doxy or Mino!

My 8 yr old son was taking zith but he is severe nuro (adhd, asperger's etc) and his herxes were really hard... always running around in his sleep acting out dreams)

I herxed pretty good on it...but mostly I noticed a lot of improvement.

Watch out for the "D" word for the first few days of being on it... I was constantly in the bathroom the first week.

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tennessee1
Member # 32425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tennessee1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on Zithro for one month. I experienced hearing loss/ache issues which had never been a problem for me before. I've been off of it 3 weeks and the hearing loss remains. If your daughter has any hearing problems, I'd contact her doctor immediately about whether to continue to take it.
Posts: 18 | From Tennessee | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much. I appreciate all the input.

Better health to all.

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always feel & look kind of sick for a few hours after I take it (breakfast). I'm better after lunch. I guess I just thought it was killing of the lyme.

My ears were ringing before I ever went on abx. If anything, the ringing has gotten better (doesn't happen all the time anymore). Something's working (on other abx too).

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattH
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MattH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did not realize it takes 60 hours to clear. I have been getting a leg rash but was not sure where it was coming from. I have been working outside so it may be the zith. Other than that I have no noticable side effects.

I am on mino daily and chloestermine (every other day). Zith is supposed to be M, W, F but I am to work up to it. Once I tolerate that and the mino I then add Flagyl.

Thanks for the sun tip, I knew about doxy which is why I asked for mino since it is summer in Houston Texas.

All the Best, MattH

Posts: 607 | From Houston Texas | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Thanks everyone [Smile]

Better health for all.

Well, this week we add in another dose. Hopefully she will be able to tolerate.

bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't take 60 hours to clear. It's HALF LIFE is 60 hours. Meaning if you take 500mg / day, after 60 hours, you ahve 250 mg in your blood. 60 hours after that (120 total), you ahve 125mg, and so on.

Half life means the time it takes for the dose to reduce concentration in your blood stream by 1/2

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atta
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Started zith two weeks ago. First week had a major herx and now I'm leveling out. Was on Levaquin for two months and it turned my muscles into rocks. Not experiencing that on Zith. Brain fog is worse but it's only been two weeks. Occasional headaches on zith-worse for me has been the stomach cramping which finally seems to be easing up. I do take with meals but I have IBD so I think that's not helping. As others stated, be careful with the sun. I also got a rash up and down my arms for going out in the sun for 20 mins without protection.

--------------------
Just a catepillar, full of imaginal buds.

Posts: 143 | From Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Thanks so much for the continued input. I hope it works out for all.

Daughter is having sore throat, increased swollen glands, also says her lips, face, sometimes areas on legs feel like they are burning.

Anyone experience these symptoms while taking Zith?

I have not tried to increase the dose .

Thanks for the continued support.

Maradona
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maradona     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Azithromycin is a good drug it does have side effect on ear but on the studies that did research on the drug when used alone after stoping the drug the side effects start to vanish and all patients in the study came back to normal state before starting the drug azithromycin.i see some here had a damage of ear that did not got healed after stop of antibiotics I will think that other factors played role on that damage for sure .
Posts: 482 | From Nebraska | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Daughter is not feeling well. She says it feels like she is not getting enough oxygen. " Has to make herself breath"

She had this before , when she was not treating the infections, now it is coming back.

She is 13 days into 0ne tablet of Zith. She says her sight feels weird too, everything seems more vivid.

Does this sound like a herx? She did not have these symptoms when she herxed before when she first started treatment.

Jane2904
Member # 15917

up for help with last question. Thanks so much.
Toppers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toppers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You people having problems with zith should look into pulsing. I am taking it every other day, with the same effects vs coinfections, but less drug overall in my system.
Posts: 501 | From Cleveland Ohio | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bearlythere
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bearlythere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sent you a private message.
Posts: 131 | From Maryland/USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoops123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoops123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anyone else taking 500 mg twice a day and if so, is it working for you? I recently doubled my dosage and it really seems to be hitting hard.
Posts: 749 | From State full of ticks | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HONESTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO A REGULAR POST/QUESION. So sorry ,but is any body willing to just respond with quick directions . I have a question about sleep patterns that are causing a lot of problems. I know this site is set up to use easily , but I'm just not there. Thank you , Nonna [bonk]
Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jane, the air hunger sounds like babesia. Is she on mepron too? I had the same symptom as your daughter until I started on abx (mep, zyth, amox).

I don't feel good for a while when I take the zyth (start to feel better after lunch). In the morning, though, I feel like I'm being poisoned.

I think I'm going to ask my doc if I can split it up 250 a.m., 250 p.m.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fflutterby
Member # 28081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fflutterby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nonna click on top on POST NEW TOPIC

--------------------
Psalm 46 1 God is our refuge and strength

Posts: 1367 | From North Jersey | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement