LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Igenex Bart Should I treat?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Igenex Bart Should I treat?
Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuel1212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

Just got my Igenex Co Test back..

For the B.Henselae IgG it came back as 40 which is on the borderline of active infection.

What do you guys think? Do I have Bart? Is this enough information to start treatment?

Thanks for your input!
Fuel

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

Posts: 610 | From Lymeville | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was also 40 and all I know is, I respond positively when I treat Bart. So yes..I'd say you ahve it.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Treat according to your symptoms!
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeGoAway
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeGoAway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuel1212,

I tested at 40 also through Igenex. Haven't treated yet--LLMD said that 40 is borderline but is willing to try treating and see what happens. She suggested that wait I wait 'til fall to treat since she wants me to treat with Doxy and Rifampin and summer sun and Doxy don't mix well.

Just curious, do you have any Bart symptoms? If so, what are they?

Posts: 227 | From Northeast | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuel1212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure what the specific Bart symptoms are..

I have burning throughout my body especially my feet.

I have weird symptoms the night after exercising that day.. (Ears ringing, pain and tightness under left rib, shortness breath, weird smell (sometimes).

thanks for the responses so far I really appreciate it!

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

Posts: 610 | From Lymeville | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

Does a +40 titer indicate there is no doubt bartonella, just not sure how bad the infection?

I am not real adversed in understanding titer readings

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

susank
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to www.Igenex.com and click on updates and read their new interpretation requirements.

Formerly for Bart IGG < or = 1:40 considered neg.

Now <40 is negative.

My last test the result was 40 - so not negative - but not convincingly positive.

I see where others report results of 40.
Anyone see a report higher than 40? I mean - what are the odds of so many 40's?

Under the old reporting system I was one time <1:40 and the next time =1:40 - both negative.

I also find it odd that on the Igenex website update >160 is listed - but the word "positive" is strangely missing there and for anything in between. What to think?

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you are misinterpreting the update.

They simply are dropping the "1:"

So..if you were 1:250 before you are now 250. If negative was <1:40 before, negative now is <40.

A positive before was 1:40. Positive now is 40.

The line hasn't changed. They just dropped the 1:

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began

IgM Igenex +/CDC +

Currently on:

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

That's a good point bcb.

I think one thing I was trying to figure out, as well as susan is does a 40 or 1:40 mean that there is infection there?

It seems like everyone gets the 40 if they are not < negative.

Did anyone's LLMD see their Igenex results stating this and say "this is definitely Bart"

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

bcb1200
Member # 25745

My IgG Bart Henselae result was the old format and it was 1:40 and it was flagged as "H" (meaning "high"), which means positive.

The reference range for negative was <40. I was <40 on my IgM and for Bart Quintana.

So if negative is <40 or <1:40, then 40 or greater is positive.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began

IgM Igenex +/CDC +

Currently on:

Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

So I guess it is safe to say I have Bart?

I get confused when there are no bands with specific definitions.

The titers confuse me honestly. I guess they won't glow at all if there is no infection.

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be treating Bart with a Negative reading.
If you have symptoms, treat. Screw the test.
You have a borderline infection showing, that's reason enough to treat.

If you don't respond to tx maybe you don't have it, why chance it by not treating?

--------------------
www.mylymechronicle.wordpress.com

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

I started Rifampin a few days ago 300mg daily(hope it's enough?)

First day was really tired in the middle if the day which is weird for me. Also, whole body ached and needed bath.

We will see?

Good stuff
Fuel

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

LymeGoAway
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeGoAway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuel,

Are you taking just Rifampin or Rifampin and another antibiotic?

My LLMD says that I need to take Rifampin and Doxy.

Posts: 227 | From Northeast | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

Sorry, I should have told you everything..

I have been taking Ceftin 2000mg daily Azith 500mg daily and now the 300mg Rifampin

I have been on the ceftin/azith combo for about 8 months now

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

susank
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was tested twice under the old format.

Stated on my report under interpretation:

B henselae IGG Antibodies:
Titers of < or = 1:40 should be considered negative.

Aha - I think I now see the difference/confusion - the paragraphs above "interpretation".

The last sentence of the second paragraph includes "patients positive" for "Borr., Erlich., Babs., and normal controls by the B. Hens. IFA test - the IGG and IGM antibody titers for BH were <1:20 for IGM and <1:40 for IGG".

I'm too tired to type it all out. What exactly was Igenex trying to say? The paragraph implies 1:40 to be positive. The interpretation below it indicates 1:40 to be negative.

I have been tested three times and nowhere does it mention "high" or "positive" for my results.

I had an IGG of <1:40 and next one 1:40.
The last one under new format was 40.

What gives?

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are like 24 other strains of Bart, they only test for 2. Treat the symptoms, the tests are not that reliable.
Posts: 845 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine said Igm 1:80 so that's definitely positive! And I have a lot of Bart symptoms to go w/ that positive. [Frown]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toppers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toppers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
=40 here. burning feet and crazy mental stuff, feeling awesome on levaquin. treat the symptoms.
Posts: 501 | From Cleveland Ohio | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

Toppers - how long have you been on Levaquin?
Any tendon problems? You started feeling awesome once starting Levaquin - or it took a while? Did you feel worse before feeling better?

In regards to the < and = I think the confusion/difference is IFA vs "plain" antibodies.

If anyone can explain paragraph two of the results page for Bart. H Antibody G/M from the old format I would also like to know your IQ.

I don't think that paragraph starting, "In a study performed by Nadal et al ....." can be made sense of. It was written by a scientific mind?

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement