LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » I keep choking on everything!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I keep choking on everything!
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does this happen to anyone else?

I choke on my food, saliva, and drinks almost every day and lately it's been happening multiple times per day. It happens most often with water (that's really the only thing I drink).

It's happened so many times today I'm almost afraid to try to drink anything now. I feel the water start to go down the wrong tube, I struggle to breathe, then eventually cough some of it up but it always feels like a little slips down into my lungs. My chest hurts for a long time afterwards.

I feel so dumb asking about this but really it's scary not being able to breathe.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I told my neurologist this, he promptly tested me for Myasthenia Gravis and I was positive. It is one of the most indicative signs of the disease. You need to get tested.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Life+Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life+Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had the same problems! I first started having swallowing issues when I was on Doxy but am still having problems after quitting it. I did all these Barium swallows and scans, but the technicians were too occupied by the fact that I am young. How do they test for Myasthenia Gravis? I also have "autoimmune tendencies."

--------------------
You name it, I've got it.
Full-time medical anomaly.

Posts: 432 | From Southeast | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This went away completely for me with Babesia treatment.

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to have terrible coughing fits just from drinking water as well. This never happens anymore since I have been treated for lyme/coinfections.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linnada
Member # 24302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linnada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a speech therapist (with Lyme) who treats swallowing disorders.

If you are worried about liquids going down the wrong way, buy some liquid thickener at the drug store and mix it to "nectar" or "honey" consistency.

"Thick & Easy" is one you can find at any store. The thicker the drink, the less likely it will go down the wrong way and into your lungs.

Hope this helps!

Posts: 84 | From St. Louis, MO | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I had lyme, saliva would go down the wrong pipe and then I would have to cough very hard for about 20 minutes. It would scare my husband, coworkers, whoever was around.

Good lyme treatment got rid of this problem.

So, I hope you are getting good treatment.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracy, I mentioned the choking to my neurologist but maybe I didn't convey to him how often and how bad this symptom is. It's scary.

I wonder if I need to see a new neurologist?

I do also have Babesia so maybe this is the cause for me. It's one stubborn infection.

Linnada, thank you for reminding me about liquid thickener. I may have to get some to have on hand for bad days like today.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennie08
Member # 17351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jennie08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the choking problem too. I'm not sure if it's from lyme or babesia. I feel like I only swallow half-way, the food kind of hangs there in the back and then I'm coughing for 20 minutes.

I seem to get better when I'm on antibiotics and it's one of the first symptoms to return whenever I try to wean myself off prescription drugs. I often choke so bad I make myself sick, and it takes me quite a while to get my composure afterwards. It's one of my most hated symptoms.

Posts: 45 | From New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is common-couldnt read all you wrote

some have found relief but lowering inflammation at cervical nerve that affects throat---near bells palsy and trigem neuralgia nerve...not sure what number

of course the right tx willhelp too cuz you are getting rid of bugs causing inflam

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
back2game
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23927

Icon 1 posted      Profile for back2game     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i find that liquids have harder time going down than food. i have to stand alot to make it easier. had endoscopy as i was convinced something is not functioning correctly ... the gastro. quack said go back to rheum., "it's your fibro.!"

needless to say, last time i saw him. what a joke.

gonna find new neurol. for the MG Tracy mentioned.

tx all.

--------------------
CNS Lyme 05/08 - EIA 1.16+, IGG 18+, IGM 23+
01/11-IGM 31 Epitope Positive
01/11-IGM 31+++, 41+, 58++, 83-93+, 23-25IND, 39IND
01/11-IGG 41+
Vasculitis 01/07,MCTD 05/06,Fibro 11/04, Myofascial PS 11/03
Embedded Tick app. 1990

Posts: 136 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, sammy, this is scary! I worry though about the MG diagnosis. I am afraid that the drs then put you in the MG box, when they don't understand Lyme & co that is causing it all.

I hope that you get some improvement soon on this.

Tracy, how is your tx coming along?

Sammy, how is your IVIG tx so far? (Hope I'm not distracting the thread too much).

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twicebitten
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twicebitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had this for several years. On and off really. The most consistent is like this. I'll sit down for a meal and the first few bites I have real trouble getting them down. I have learned to be extra careful those first bites of any meal. If I try and hurry, I choke. Doesn't matter the size of the bite or what food it is either.

I've only choked on liquids a few times, but one was extremely scary. I could not get my breath and actually started thinking I was dying, knew it was coming. The most scared I'd been in many years. All over choking over trying to take a drink..

I've never been told by any doc or llmd what may cause this.

--------------------
One day at a time

Posts: 409 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Suggest you look into lungworm, one of the very common parasites starting in the gut and moving all the way up throat and further causing a variety of symptoms. Varystrongylus klapowi - the protocol is a 5 different pharmaceutical antiparasitics short term. Main residence for Bartonella and Babesia is lung and often involves
Varystrongylus.

I posted about it on several occasions.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

It's good to hear that this choking symptom is kinda common and many of you have gotten better with proper treatment. I hope that it will get better for me too.

I've got so many other coinfections and an immune deficiency, I wouldn't be surprised at all if I had some strange parasite infections too.

TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, my theory is that this choking is caused by lyme attacking the nerve to the "flapper" (epiglottis) that covers over the windpipe when you want to swallow and the throat when you want to breathe.

If that flapper doesn't close all the way, then your saliva will trickle down the windpipe, or some food or drink will go down the windpipe, etc . It would often happen to me when breathing in while flossing, head slightly tilted back. Then, the coughing fit would start.

Whatever nerve lyme attacks, the organ/muscles controlled by that nerve won't work properly. So, if it is a facial muscle nerve, you will have bells palsy (facial muscles are pulled down or paralyzed). If it is a nerve to the jaw, you can have burning tooth and jaw pain. If it is the trigeminal nerve that gets inflamed, you will have trigeminal neuralgia (severe facial pain on one side). If it is the nerve to the neck, you get a stiff and sore neck.

So, I think my choking was caused because lyme attacked the nerve to the "flapper" in the throat and it wasn't working just right all the time.

Try keeping your head tilted a little forward when drinking. Hope that helps you.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement