LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » rifampin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: rifampin
jac123
Member # 28247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jac123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just started this every other day....

My first pill,within a couple hours,I was so sick
Neck pain,chills and it felt like something was

Sucking life right out of me.Coincidence?I am so
Afraid to take it tomorrow,still feel aweful.

Please advise,thx...

Posts: 72 | From illinois/wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilacs48
Member # 20025

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilacs48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh crud...Maybe this wasn't a good evening for me to decide to do some reading here. I will be starting it in a couple of days. I do plan to start out slowly on it & work my way up to the 2 per day that I'm suppose to do. No really I had heard that it could be a difficult one so I'm just planning to climb in bed for a couple of days until it passes...Yep sure all the veterans are saying [Smile] Hang in there...We'll get through it! I just started doxy today & already feeling the effects from it...But I also found a STUCK little tick in the bend of my knee this morning.
Posts: 75 | From Missouri | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I generally handle drugs pretty well. Rifampin really kicked my butt. I was still able to get through a work day, but it really brought out a lot of unpleasant symptoms. I think the drug is either A- very effective at killing bugs and leaves behind a ton of die off, or is just a very toxic drug in general. I had a very "toxic" feeling when taking it. I know it is tough on the liver, so definitely take Milk thistle.

The horrible symptoms do eventually get better.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is hard at first, but worth it. Power through!

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifampin should never be pulsed! It creates resistance very quickly.
Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlcd1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlcd1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took 1 pill for a week then 2 from then on. The 2nd week was pretty much my worst pain week ever. But it got better! You just have to hang in there. Do lots of detox and good luck. Hope u feel better.
Posts: 908 | From Albany | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was scared to take Rifampin because of others' experiences. However, I did my own research and found ways to ease into it. I found info. to actually start at 300mg for a week then move up to 600mg.

Also, the drug info. says that you can get a flu-like syndrome if you skip a day, so its best to take it daily. It also says that this can happen with once daily dosing. So, I started with 150mg twice a day, and am now at 300mg twice a day for a month now. I have had a lot of herxing but that means its working. Also, I get my liver enzymes checked monthly.

Apparently taking it with other drugs like Doxy/Zith increases its effectiveness, so I started with just the Rifampin to go easy. My LLMD says as long as you take it everyday, you will not create resistance even if you do not take it with another drug.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifampin definitely packs a punch, but it also is a great med, especially if you have Bartonella. I've sadly been on all of the Bart meds, including IV and have to say that Rifampin by far did the most reversal of symptoms for me.

Yes, it is tough getting over those first humps but if you can stick it out, it will be worth it.

If it is WAY too rough, talk to your LLMD and he may have you pull back a little to get you going. Good luck and keep us posted.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manybites
Member # 33750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for manybites         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was in it years ago , I would use a pillow to scream and handle the pain in my head.I have had bart henselae for 2 decades .
Was the worst of the worst but helped me with the most neuro issues ( the herx in head was horrible , was most of times not myself in tears locked in the house).No way I felt to socialize and be sorrounded from people.

I went through it for 6 months but was the best that helped so did azithr and doxy ..the combo is great but I was lucky to have done tons of cleansings and detox and killing parasites ( based on HULDA`s protocoll) before I treated .I just was clueless what was that was comming back in revenge and make me in surreal pain from head to toe.

Just detox ( saunas helped ) and coffe enemas as well and pulsing Colesteramine .Still I did suffer but I wanted the bugs dead .For me lasted that long due to have had it as the first infection that open the door to others and made my lyme REALLY NEURO .

Posts: 1379 | From disable | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kramberry
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kramberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also tested positive for bartonella and was given rifampin. I started it 600mg a day at once on empty stomach since my llmd says it cannot be taken in small dose nor every other day as it creates resistance. But from my experience im already in my 2nd week without any noticeable improvement nor did i herx from it. I guess everybodys different. How long does it take to see improvement? Or the drug is just not working for my bartonella. Im taking it with zith. Is there other drugs need to be added as others notices it effectivity?

--------------------
 -

Posts: 215 | From California | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manybites
Member # 33750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for manybites         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are pozitive for the Fry bug than you need to take oregano oil or HH capsules from Dr Z.Google bartonella and DR J S in Florida -he called it bart but my daughter was pozitive on FRY , Henselae and Quintata so she reacted.

You might need Biaxin/Plaquinil combo if you do not react to Rifampin.

Posts: 1379 | From disable | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of the problem is that it makes so many other meds. you are taking not work as well. So if on hormones, pain meds, Valium and a slew of other meds.

The interference could be the issue.. Also you can start with 150mg twice a day and work up/or stay there.

Also you CAN NOT start and stop this med. It figures out how to not work /fast..

2 years into being sick I had sinus surgery and put on Doxy. Called doctor after a couple of days and said didn't feel like it was helping.

So by chance (GOD) she put me on an oldie but goodie, Rifampin.'

In two days I could feel "normal" coming back.

I couldn't believe the difference. But she only ordered a week then it took 7 days to get another doc to order more... I think having doxy in me and then rifampin and being sick only 2 years at that point( isn't that ridicules in and of its self) I had the positive reaction...

[dizzy] [shake] Then the story continues.... I also had to hunt down the first dose and maker of Rifampin because I had a reaction to a certain batch.

This is all before a Lyme knowledge, but they did find three major infections in sinuses that didn't show up in blood, on x-ray or cat scan... She had to fillet the stuff off my cheeks , from the inside,.This got some attention from Docs for about 4 months.

Then it was me , by all kinds of means to stay on Abx as much as could. [loco] [sleepy]

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started Rifampin about a month ago and have a few questions based on the comments. Hope you don't mind me piping in on your thread.

Jammers wrote;
quote:
Also, the drug info. says that you can get a flu-like syndrome if you skip a day, so its best to take it daily. It also says that this can happen with once daily dosing.
I started on 150 mg. day for a week, along with minocycline. Then, upped it to 150 mg. bid with minocycline. I started getting the flu-like, achy feeling and headaches. This would come on me every afternoon between 5:00 and 7:00.

I saw my LLMD this week, and we decided to back down to 150 mg on Rigfampin, and see if the symptoms resolve. Yesterday, still had the headache and flu-like symptoms. Now I'm wondering what to do. Any thoughts??

Can you direct me to where you read about the Rifampin causing these symptoms? I would appreciate any input. I've handled most antibiotics really well, but rifampin is hard to tolerate. I tried detoxing with Pekana, and using binders like apple pectin, charcoal and cholestyramine, with little result, so I don't think it's die-off or toxins.

manybites wrote:
quote:
If you are pozitive for the Fry bug than you need to take oregano oil or HH capsules from Dr Z.Google bartonella and DR J S in Florida -he called it bart but my daughter was pozitive on FRY , Henselae and Quintata so she reacted.
I tried googling this, and didn't come up with anything related to the Fry BLO. I am positive and am treating with Rifampin for the Fry BLO. Can you provide the reasoning for taking oregano oil , and what is HH? Is this supposed to be taken along with Rifampin?
Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gmb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Must be the season for Rif....Guess I'll chime in too.

I ended 5 months of Mepron and started Rif this past Sunday. I too read to ramp up with first week at 300gm x 1/day then go to full dose at 300mg x 2/day.

So I took one on Sunday at noon and one on Monday at noon. Feeling pretty good I jumped in at full dose on Tuesday... Starting to feel it today. Right leg is almost numb and tingling from knee to toes. Joint pain and stiffness increasing too.

Right now taking Augmentin, Zith, and the Rif.

IV Rocephin will most likely replace the Augmentin in a few weeks.

good luck to all of you.

gmb

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gmb and all

Be so careful. Although some feel rifampin is a strong drug and helped them somewhat wtih bart it is also very toxic.

I was near death after only two doses. They thought it was because I was taking omnicef along with it but stopping all of them left me still very very sick for weeks.

i know another person on here who has permanent damage in her ankle and another permanent neurolgia from rifampin. It is a very old and hardly every used drug any more.

Everyone can choose to do as they want, but please go very slow and when symptoms (they are not herxes) start on you, you must cut down or stop..contact your llmd right away. I just dont want others to have this happen to them also.

PS. I never even had bartonella to begin with..found out after the rifampin issue.

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does any body remember the part about how Rifampin affects other meds you're taking. Just go to a med. interaction site. after you read up on interactions. also just check sites on Rifampin and compare... when I'm on it I have to take a little more of 5 meds. Valium, vicodin, progesterone, zithro and testosterone
Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

does any body remember the part about how Rifampin affects other meds you're taking. Just go to a med. interaction site. after you read up on interactions. also just check sites on Rifampin and compare... when I'm on it I have to take a little more of 5 meds. Valium, vicodin, progesterone, zithro and testosterone [bow] [bow] [shake] [shake]

remember you can not start and stop this med. you start and stick with it,or if you stop after while you have to wait several months to try again... it's not light weight but neither are the keets

still there are several other combos to try, I asked my LLMD and he wanted me to stick with Rif., Zith., Doxy. [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

Kramberry
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kramberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you guys taking a cyst buster like flagyl and the likes with rifampin?

--------------------
 -

Posts: 215 | From California | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joysie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joysie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Tindamax.
Posts: 520 | From Maryland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsScampi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrsScampi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on Rifampin and was taking it every other day 4 days ago I started taking it every day well I will tell u I feel like death, I mean is this toxic or herx, my Dr in NY told me to take it every day then the aniexty was real real bad, he told me to stop it, and restart in 5 days thats exactly what I did, so what is it do I have the Flu syndrome or is it a herx, How do u know the difference, PLEASE HELP SOMEONE!!!
Posts: 200 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too wish we could hear from users of Rifampin, and get feedback. I too have the flu-like symptoms, and was about 90% before starting Rifampin.

Are these flu symptoms side effects from Rifampin, or a herx, or toxins? I'm getting the impression that it is a side effect of Rifampin.

I didn't take it this morning - not sure I'm going to take it again. Tired of dealing with flu-like feeling and headaches.

Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BBinme
Member # 34131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BBinme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also could not take rifampin. i recently tried to, and only took 2 doses. The herx pain was so bad i could not function; i have a 2 year old and not functioning is NOT an option. This really upset me because i feel that it was working at killing the bugs; not sure if i have bart or not, but LLMD thinks i do, especially after reacting this way after only 2 doses, he also believes that it would have gotten a lot worse if i continued it. I will have to ask him about rifampin being toxic. It also interfered with the seroquel i take for sleep; i didn't sleep at all for 2 nights. So now i'm just discouraged.
I also herxed greatly after taking ABart, and had to stop also. So i'm pretty sure i have bart.
I was wondering what other drugs some of you have taken for bart? i cannot remember right now what kills it. Thanks Dee

Posts: 79 | From Maine | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BBinme
Member # 34131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BBinme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also could not take rifampin. i recently tried to, and only took 2 doses. The herx pain was so bad i could not function; i have a 2 year old and not functioning is NOT an option. This really upset me because i feel that it was working at killing the bugs; not sure if i have bart or not, but LLMD thinks i do, especially after reacting this way after only 2 doses, he also believes that it would have gotten a lot worse if i continued it. I will have to ask him about rifampin being toxic. It also interfered with the seroquel i take for sleep; i didn't sleep at all for 2 nights. So now i'm just discouraged.
I also herxed greatly after taking ABart, and had to stop also. So i'm pretty sure i have bart.
I was wondering what other drugs some of you have taken for bart? i cannot remember right now what kills it. Also my LLMD told me i had to take full dose, could not ramp up because of intolerance problems.
Thanks Dee

Posts: 79 | From Maine | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsScampi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrsScampi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well did everybody that took Rifampin get achy everywhere, my lymph nodes are killing me my legs ache like toothaches,my feet are killing me, my shins hurt, I feel tired,weak cant go on feeling, behind my thighs into my butt cheeks are so sore, my neck muscles into the back of my head,upperback pain IS THIS A HERX OR REACTION!!! ANYONE when I was taking it every other day I had less pain on the day I didn't take it by night my pain came back, so I would take it again, I just started 150mg every day for the last 4 days, oh also my fingers and wrist hurt:(
Posts: 200 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mrs Scampi,
Well, after seeing your post it just confirmed it for me, yup WE are herxing.
I have been on Rifampin 600 mgs for two weeks and I have all the same stuff going on with me that you do.
I'm hoping that it will wind down soon.
I was feeling so good, about 85%, before I started to treat the Bartonella.

Posts: 845 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsScampi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11702

RC1
I sure hope its herxing cause I don't want that Flu-sydrome. Do you think there is a way we defeintly find out if its herx or not, cause I can't stand feeling this bad inside and out, Just saying, RC1 I sure hope u beat this I am only taking 150 mgs I can't imagine how I will feel when I go up to 600mgs.

RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mrs. Scampi,
Been doing some reading on Rifampin and I haven't stopped taking it and started again, that's what starts the flu thing.

I also read that it is common to start it by taking it every other day the way you have been.

Any chance you are having shortness of breath too? Cause that is what I have going on now. It's kind of freaking me out.

Posts: 845 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Mrs. Scampi,
Forgot to add...I'm pretty sure it's herxing. I hope it's herxing, and I'm (we're) not going though this because of a drug reaction!

MrsScampi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11702

RC1
Yes I am having shortness of breath,and can I ask where you read its common to start taking it every other day, I did do this for some time, but I stopped it for 5 days and went back on, but this time I went on it everyday, I am going to skip it tonight. How long have you been sick? I have been sick for 5 years have been almost on every med you can think of, and had 2 picc lines, I hope this is the last of it!!! Fingers Crossed [Smile]

RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Mrs. Scampi,
I found the info on Rifampin by googling it with Bartonella. It pulled up some discussion boards, and it seems to be pretty common to start the way you did.
I have been in Lyme land for 2 1/2 years in treatment for a year. I'm sorry you have been sick so long, hopefully this is your ticket.

jac123
Member # 28247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jac123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for input.....WOW what a bunch of troopers....

Feeling little better but left leg the pain is unbearable.Funny I was actually feeling great
till I added this new drug

Seen the Doc and he said taking this is like flushing the skunk out of the woods..ugh

I am on Rif every other with Doxy.
I have had many toxic cocktails but this
was the worst...no kidding..thanks again

Posts: 72 | From illinois/wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 8 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if this was the skunk out of the woods with Rifampin and Doxy, what to we call my instructions??? Rifampim,150mg x's 2, Doxy 100mg x's2/ twice a day, Zith 250mg x's 2 or 500mg. artiminison2x's/twice a day, then you add the other stuff.... Opinions anybody???. [confused] [bonk] [rant]
jac123
Member # 28247

ITS all trial and error...How much a persons system can handle..everyone is different..this was quickest and worst side effect or herx for me.
Im not ready to give up!!!!Push On

baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

I decided to stop taking Rifampin on Friday; sick and tired of the flu-like symptoms and headache.

Friday, still had the symptoms. Saturday, the flu-like symptoms resolved, but headache continued. Sunday, the symptoms are gone.

Not sure if I'm going to try this drug again.

manybites
Member # 33750

I suffered years ago in Rifampin and DOXY and Zithromax as well but was also that after words I felt the calm that I used to have when a kid.

The car acident made bart come up quickly and UGLY!

Fight it and do not give up.Bart is the worst.

BBinme
Member # 34131

So is it ok to start at a lower dose and ramp up? Just trying to clarify, i thought that it can cause resistence if you do not start at full dose... thanks
Kramberry
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34032

Take the full 600mg dose before meals so you will not create resistance.

--------------------
 -

Jamers
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MrsScampi-I have been on Rifampin for 2 months, sounds like you are herxing! I am very tired, weak, achey, hands swollen, eyelids feel puffy, knee pain, slightly anxious, headaches ect...

I believe the flu-like syndrome is more like fever, chills, vomiting type stuff. Yours sounds much more like a herx.

Im wondering how long this takes to get better? I've been herxing continuously but thats what I normally do. Im going one more month to see if it gets better. Remember to have the proper lab work done to be sure everything is normal.

--------------------

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jac123
Member # 28247

just curious,how soon to have enzymes tested after starting this drug?
Jamers
Member # 28016

I have labs done every month. So my first testing was done about a month after starting.

--------------------

searching4truth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for searching4truth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jac123... I have not read the entire thread, but I read your post that your pain is through the roof. My LLMD warned me when I started rifampin that is can change the way pain medication is metabolized, making the pain med either too weak or too strong. My pain levels, that were fairly managed before I started, became unbearable within 48 hours of tarting rifampin. It. Has calmed down now that I have been off rifampin for a few days.

The herx, for me, was pure agony. I started at half strength, and ramped up over about a week. It was by far, the worst herx I have ever had. It got better after a few weeks, to where I had only a minor daily herx.

Posts: 427 | From Pacific Northwest | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
climber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for climber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other than Iv meds., Rif. worked wonders, but work your way up. My LLMD told me to not skip a dose.
climber

Posts: 108 | From Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

I feel invisible...and wish someone would shed some light.

I still do not understand the flu-like symptoms and headaches, when it is not from pulsing. I have never pulsed, or stopped Rifampin (until five days ago). Is it a side effect from the drug?

jac123
Member # 28247

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH;Thanks for input,however I must work so I do not take any pain pills,wish I could!

Thats why PAIN was so bad, ibubrofin every 3hrs.
Doc gave me flexiral for night,but havent taken it.Need to be on top of game at the job..

I can walk now..with ease.discomfort but much better.I noticed benn getting slight headache when I awake.But it diminished as day went on.

can anyone tell me how much milk thistle a day
I should take?

jac123
Member # 28247

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH;Thanks for input,however I must work so I do not take any pain pills,wish I could!

Thats why PAIN was so bad, ibubrofin every 3hrs.
Doc gave me flexiral for night,but havent taken it.Need to be on top of game at the job..

I can walk now..with ease.discomfort but much better.I noticed benn getting slight headache when I awake.But it diminished as day went on.

can anyone tell me how much milk thistle a day
I should take?

Jamers
Member # 28016

Baileypup- I believe the headaches are a herx. I get them pretty bad now since starting rifampin.

The flu-like symptoms are tricky. I was fine on the drug until my 28 day lyme cycle (I think I know when it is now). I was very ill, I was so nauseas and very hot, sweaty ect... I thought I had the flu or I was reacting to the med.

However, it got better. From what I hear and now believe, Rifampin hits lyme also. Lyme symptoms are flu-like in nature for me. Im not sure how long you were on Rifampin but maybe you started on your lyme cycle? So, it could be a herx or a reaction, the only way to know would be to wait it out and see if it gets better.

I take Rifampin twice a day since the flu-like symptoms can come with once daily therapy. Maybe try that if you haven't already.

--------------------

baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Thanks Jammers! Appreciate your input....(don't feel so invisible anymore [Eek!] )

I've never felt lyme was a big part of my illness, and have been taking Ceftin for lyme for six months now. But, adding Rifampin must be hitting something.

I started out taking Rifampin, 150 mg., for a week, then upped it to 150 mg. bid. I was on that for five weeks, until stopping on Friday. It took a few days for the flu and headache symptoms to resolve, but they did go away. Now I'm having an achy arm, (which went away with babesia treatment), but also came back with the addition of Rifampin. Somehow, I think they're all intertwined, like you said.

A kind member pm'd me and recommended 1,000 to 3,000 liquid or emulsified Vit C. Think I'll try that and see if it makes the herx, or now achy arm, go away.

Still waiting for my LLMD to let me know our next step. Is levaquin (with know side-effects of tendon issues) as effective as Rifampin? I did start to see some of my little lumps and bumps dissolving with Rifampin.

Thanks again for sharing your experience [bow] . I've learned so much from members like you, and credit that knowledge for helping me to recover as well as I have.

Jamers
Member # 28016

Your Welcome! I don't have many lyme symptoms either, but once a month I feel the crappiest and I assume its my lyme cycle.

I still feel pretty awful on Rifampin after 2 months and it was until the end of the first month that I was very ill. I had a lot of symptoms disappear while treating Babesia and I realized it was because Babesia was on top and then they all came back when Bartonella began to reemerge.

Can't comment on the effectiveness of Levaquin. Hope you find what works for you though.

What type of Vitamin C did they recommend? I can never find a liquid one or a good powdered one.

--------------------

baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Jammers, they didn't give me a brand of Vitamin C, but I'll check it out today, and let you know what I find.

I'm trying some Bragg's apple cider vinegar right now, to see if that helps.

baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Jammers, I went to our local health food store and bought powdered royal camu vitamin C by Wholeworld Botanicals. I was told it was really powerful. I've also ordered Camucamu online through Raintree.

I just drank some mixed in water and stevia, and will see if my headache goes away. I also think the cider vinegar helped earlier today, because my arm ache went away.

Jamers
Member # 28016

Thanks Baileypup! I hope it helps you detox! Im going to get some also.

--------------------

RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

I am three weeks into Rifampin and I'm still feeling bad. My bones are burning and now I am sick to my stomach. Does anyone know if these symptoms are normal for Bart?

I was at 85% before I opened this can of worms.
Thanks guys.

baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

RCI, me too! I was 85-90% better before opening my Rifampin can-of-worms. It's a major bummer to feel like you're finally reaching the finish line.....and then you're back to the start again.

I can't tell you if it's a side effect, toxins, or a herx you're experiencing. Mine were more flu-like symptoms, headache, arm ache, high bp and I did have slight nausea and indigestion.

I went off Rifampin nine days ago, after taking it for five weeks, and just the last day or so do I feel like I'm getting back to my well self. I've focused on detoxing and binding, and drinking lots of lemon water.

My llmd thought it really stirred things up, but not in a good way. We agreed that for now I should detox, and then consider levaquin (with those side effects).

RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Bailey,
Thanks for sharing, yeah it is a bummer to realize that this isn't over. That's how I feel too, that I am stirring things up, and not in a good way.

This is my second time on it. It was part of my first drug combo, the worst 2 weeks of my whole life! I herxed my brains out, it was awful. I was only on it for a month, that was a year ago.

Are you on abx still, or are you off all of them?

Dave6002
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to take up to 1200mg per day combined with Clarithromycin without any problem. 900mg is used in other cases. Rifampin is used long-term on TB. I had big improvement on it and felt the good effects almost immediately within a day. If I retake it after I stopped for a while, it did worsen my sole pains hours after taking it.
Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement