LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » daughter's picc line to be installed at home, is this safe?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: daughter's picc line to be installed at home, is this safe?
lizzysmom
Member # 26010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lizzysmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
daughter's first picc is scheduled for next week and the infusion company is saying they do them all the time in the home. Then we have to take her in for an xray immediately following to ensure proper placement. Does this sound proper?

she will be getting rocephin 2 grams, via push. Also not sure if this is best. opinions?

Posts: 42 | From Northeastern US | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a hard call to make... I had both the Hickman line and Picc line placed at the hospital and I had complications all 3 times! If they do this all the time then they probably do know what they are doing. What are they using for pain?

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I may ask, about how old is your daughter? If she is a young child I would feel more comfortable having the PICC placed by an experienced pediatric nurse or pediatric interventional radiologist.

I would also prefer that the PICC be placed in the hospital type setting. The procedure is usually performed by a specially trained nurse. They use ultrasound guidance to select the vein and place the PICC. Afterwards they will take an x-ray to verify that it is in the proper place.

If you are scheduled to have the PICC placed in the hospital, the nurses usually evaluate you first. If they are unable to place the PICC (unable to find suitable vein, etc) they will take you to the interventional radiology dept to have it placed by the doctor.

This is one of the reasons why I would prefer to have it placed in the hospital. There are lots of experienced people around to help make sure that your procedure goes well.

Ask your doctor if they typically use this infusion company for PICC placements at home. If they have had good experiences with them then this may be a good option for you to consider. I know you want the best for your daughter.

I would also ask your LLMD about the Rocephin push. Make sure that it was ordered to be given this way. It can be a little cheaper to give it via IV push but it may not be tolerated as well by the patient.

You may be interested to read more about Rocephin pushes here: http://www.infuserveamerica.com/index_files/Ceftriaxone.htm

Good luck to you and your daughter [Smile]

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
searching4truth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for searching4truth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had my picc line placed today. Will start rocephin tomorrow. I went to the hospital for it. It took about 3 hours, start to finish, but the procedure itself took less than 5 minutes. When I got the xray, the nurse needed to adjust the line slightly, and then got another xray. It would have been a couple of trips and much more time if I did the procedure at home like they are having your daughter do. Personally, I would only want to do it at the hospital. While it was very simple procedure, there can be complications. I would not want to risk it, personally
Posts: 427 | From Pacific Northwest | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
APMOM
Member # 28786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for APMOM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a PICC line and had it placed in the hospital in a sterile surgical room with a Dr. They did an ultrasound before to make sure of health of the vein for placement and then right afterward before leaving the surgical room to check the placement. Honestly, especially when it comes to a child there is no way I would be willing to do it at home and would want it done in a more sterile environment where it can be monitored by ultrasound to make sure the line isn't placed too far in. Just my opinion though, I really hope however you chose to have it done it goes well.
Posts: 76 | From IL | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizzysmom
Member # 26010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lizzysmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes the doctor uses this company all the time. I have been reading up on Infuserves website about why they advocate using the ellipse ball, but I am not sure if its just because that's their business/product.

searching...good luck with your new treatment.

FYI my daughter is 17 and is not very fragile right now...her sticks are easy, always gets a good vein. they will use lidocaine to start it. she is a little nervous.

Posts: 42 | From Northeastern US | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go with your instinct you know what's best for your child. There are pros and cons to both... and having mine done at two major hospitals w/ all the machines to guide them didn't guarantee a good placement! ll 3 times the line had to be pulled out b/c they were in too deep. Where you get it done isn't as important as who is doing it.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlanaSuzanne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlanaSuzanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My opinion is to take your daughter to an interventional radiologist and have the procedure performed in a hospital setting.

God forbid if something goes wrong with the line, you'll be able to go back to the hospital to resolve any issues. And if questions/concerns arise with the line you'll be able to speak to a nurse who can advise you.

--------------------
You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'

---Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 748 | From somewhere | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb133
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb133     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter was 14 when she had her line and it was done in the hospital by a radiologist. I would never ever consider having it done at home.

It just can't be the same.

Good luck with your decision...this is not an easy one.

Deb g

Posts: 499 | From Malta, NY | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not just Infuserve that advocates for the use of IV Rocephin to be given in the premixed bags or eclipse pumps.

I had my first dose given at the hospital via premixed bag and pump. Then had 2 other home health care agencies use the eclipse pumps.

Infuserve recommends the eclipses because often they are cheaper to use than the premixed ceftriaxone bags. This is because you must buy IV tubing for each dose given via bag. The eclipses come ready to go, no added purchase of tubing.

Plus the eclipses are easy, you can stick them in your pocket and walk around or do whatever. The gravity drip bags are annoying because they rely on gravity to flow. That means you walk around carrying the bag held up or be tied down to a pole that holds the bag up high for you.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gambler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gambler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with alanasuzanne.
Posts: 243 | From chicago | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have it done in hospital.

It is cruel to have done at home. I had midline put in at home & it was horrid. PICC placed in the hospital was a breeze.

Need proper numbing & X-ray to insure proper placement.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenInMa
Member # 31544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JenInMa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son had his first picc line done with anasthesia in a hospital setting. Unfortunately, that line had to be pulled due to complications. The second one was done in a different hospital that only provided numbing. He was freaked out by this (he's 11) but the procedure went OK.
I cannot imagine having it done in a home setting and would have preferred a pediatric hospital environment but that option was not available to us.
I can give you the names of the hospitals we worked with in New England if you're interested.

--------------------
IGG 41++, 58+
IGM 31 IND, 41 IND, 83-93 IND

Son (most chronically ill)
IGG 41+
IGM 39 IND, 41+++
Bartonella positive

Daughter
IGG 39 IND, 41++, 58+
IGM 31+, 41 IND, 83-93+

Posts: 39 | From Boston, Ma. | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had mine placed by a radiologist in a hospital. They used flouroscope (sp?) so that my veins would light up to see which one they could use.

I am very petite, and it took 2 tries - they had to use my right arm and I'm right handed because the left arm's veins were too small.

Anyway there is no way that could have been done in a home setting.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizzysmom
Member # 26010

it looks like most folks go for the hospital setting. While I agree the "what if" scenario allows for a quicker intervention...I am also thinking that the hospital setting is where all the MRSA lives. I am still on the fence.

thanks to everybody who has responded. I'll make some more phone calls.

Igor's mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Igor's mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and c diff...

--------------------
Igenenex + IGM 18, 23-25, 31, 41, 66, FL 1953, bart, babs, erlich, c diff. Dox 10/10,11/10-5/11 Mino, Buluoke,plaq (2/10) zith (3/11-5/11), Paragone, Flagyl, Ivermectin, Paromomycin, Ceftin, Nystatin(4/11) mepron (4/11-)BW A-L , A-Bart, A-Bab.

Posts: 254 | From Virginia | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The radiology labs where the picc lines are placed are a very sterile enviornment. I would nevver let a home health agency place a picc line in.

Are they bringing x-ray equipment to see where the line is going? I doubt it. Are they prepared for an emergency other than to call an ambulance?

Just my 3 cents,

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

There are two main types of MRSA: hospital acquired and community acquired. Both are dangerous but can be treated with appropriate antibiotics.

If your child goes to school, participates in any sports, goes to the movie theater, goes shopping... she's being exposed to MRSA.

That is why it is so important to take precautions. Shower after sports type activities, wash hands frequently, don't share personal items (like makeup), etc.

Whether you go to the hospital, doctor's office, or have a nurse come to your home, make sure that they wash their hands before touching your daughter. This is very important.

hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hospital by all means.

Mine were all done there, with xrays...Can't believe they would do this type of procedure at home.

My first picc line went the 'wrong' way, and with the xray right away, they saw it and placed it the 'right' way. All done in sterile conditions.

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizzysmom
Member # 26010

the infusion company told me on the phone that they make a sterile field and the nurse wears a gown and mask when doing the procedure. She said the washing and prep takes about 30 minutes and the whole thing takes about 45 minutes. The hospital satellite where we will go for the xray to confirm placement is about 10 minutes away, and I am told that if it is found to need an adjustment, we must call the company back and they will call the nurse back to the house to fix it.

my gut is telling me this is probably adequate sterile measures, but I will never forgive myself if anything went wrong. she has been through enough already.

glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lizzy,

Maybe you don't realize that you will be having a nurse place the line instead of a DOCTOR. The infusion co makes a lot of money for this procedure, and will do their best to talk you into letting them do it.

Plus, when in a radiology lab, there is usually more than one professional present. Every post on here is suggesting strongly that you have this done in the hospital.

P.S. I am not predjudiced against nurses....I am a retired trauma nurse.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with glm.

I'm not trying to pressure you - as you have to decide for your own daughter's needs - but IMO it might be less hassle/traumatic for your daugher if the whole procedure was done in one place.

She has to go to a hospital anyway to do the x-ray to confirm placement so it might be less stressful for her to just be at the hospital from the beginning?

Also will she be getting her first infusion right after the procedure? They usually do this right after the placement to make sure she is not allergic to the abx. I had mine done at the hospital afer the placement.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hospital is definately better. Both times I've had PICC's placed, there were problems during placement that could not have been dealt with at home (my veins are really tiny, and like to spasm).

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gambler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gambler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the answer to your question:

It should not be done at home.

You are focusing on the wrong thing-germs and not on the more real concern-placement.

I didn't post this before because I thought all these answers would convince you to go to a hospital and I didn't want to scare you. My PICC line broke, moved and went up my neck. And I had it done at the hospital.

Why don't you post a question asking how many people have MRSA and another asking how many people had PICC line placement problems?

Posts: 243 | From chicago | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chiming in here.....hospital or an out patient center.

Just in case something goes wrong, you are where they can help.

My place accepted what the insurance paid.

I wouldn't have it done at home, would never with child.
I would not be able to live with myself if something went wrong.

Just my humble opinion. It is hard being a parent.

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WIGGY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15377

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIGGY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems silly to have to have it checked out at the hospital after they place line only to be sent home to have a nurse come back over and try again.

There are problems placing these lines - mine was done correctly at the hospital with a Dr. and 2 nurses. I can't tell you how thank-ful I am.

We all have enough problems, we don't need more. I would never let the home health co. do this.

You may have problems at hospital getting it done correctly but chances are better than home health agency.

MRSA is every where

Posts: 128 | From MICHIGAN | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

Yes I agree - believe me some nurses can't even do the dressing changes that smoothly.

So if that is any indication I would NOT want picc line placement done at home.

Insurance should cover this procedure with a copay if it is done at a hospital with dr. authorization.

Good luck!

--------------------
 -

scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

I don't know about MRSA being everywhere but I KNOW for a FACT that they are prolific in hospitals! My daughter caught hers at the San Diego Children's Hospital.

It is now a standard procedure in CA hospitals to be given Vancomycin IV after you have had a surgery/procedure. They would not give you that if MRSA isn't out of control in the hospitals.

--------------------
 -

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are alternative ways of dealing with MRSA (example: research suggests essential oil of Thyme kills MRSA, and there are other essential oils that also can kill it - I know someone who cured themselves of MRSA with essential oils). I'd be more concerned about the placement of a PICC at home than MRSA, personally.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Razzle,

I tried essential oils too! Even paid an arm and a leg for essential oils from Young Living. Even bought The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy to learn how to mix the oils and all. It BURNT their skin!

I went as far as ordering honey as well and I posted my experience under that thread. That too did NOT help our girls.

I'm very open minded to trying things but in our case the natural methods did not work. After watching them passing it back and forth for 11 months and suffering severe pains, we finally put them on antibiotics and nose spray. That got rid of it for good. So from personal experience, I would not take MRSA lightly. MRSA CAN KILL!!

--------------------
 -

amk33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amk33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine was done at home. There was no xray, I didn't even know they did that. They can tell how far the line is in by the length used. It hurt a little more than a blood draw, but nothing major. I had it in for anout 4 mos., from what I remember. I didn't have any problems with it.
Posts: 418 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
racer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for racer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I would go with the hospital and using a radiologist. They can see exactly where the line is going and how long it should be, based on the xrays DURING the procedure.

Everyone has to make their own decision - and I am sure many PICC lines have been placed at home with no problems.

I am nervous about tubes in my body - esp. near my heart... so I take the cautious route.

best of luck,
racer

--------------------
Me - Igenex: IgM: 41IND, IgG: 39IND, 41+ but Plasmid PCR Positive
Kiddo - after 1 year IV - positive Lyme culture (before IV: IgM:31,34,41,83-93 IND; IgG: 41+++, 66+)

Posts: 133 | From CT | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
racer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for racer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I would go with the hospital and using a radiologist. They can see exactly where the line is going and how long it should be, based on the xrays DURING the procedure.

Everyone has to make their own decision - and I am sure many PICC lines have been placed at home with no problems.

I am nervous about tubes in my body - esp. near my heart... so I take the cautious route.

best of luck,
racer

--------------------
Me - Igenex: IgM: 41IND, IgG: 39IND, 41+ but Plasmid PCR Positive
Kiddo - after 1 year IV - positive Lyme culture (before IV: IgM:31,34,41,83-93 IND; IgG: 41+++, 66+)

Posts: 133 | From CT | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizzysmom
Member # 26010

thanks for all these responses, I am still weighing it all out and I plan to speak on the phone with the doctor on Monday.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement