LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is Lyme the only cause of low CD57??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is Lyme the only cause of low CD57??
madronewood
Member # 34126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for madronewood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question about CD57. My first test was the CD-/CD57+. My % CD8-/CD57+ Lymphs were 2.0, and my Abs. CD8-CD57+ Lymphs were 34.

My doctor ran this test as a screen for Lyme. I am surprised she ran it, as I am a fairly healthy person, except psychologically. I have anxiety, but that is life-long. I have had mild to moderate depression for 5 or 6 years, and Candida for about 12 years. I have RSI, as well as neck pain, both of which are much better than when they started 3 years ago (treated with massage, chiropractic, etc.).

I did have a couple of +s on the Western Blot (31 and 41), as well as quite a few Indeterminate bands (4 with **).

Based on my reading, it looks like I have Lyme. But based on my reading, I should be a lot sicker, or at least have a history of being sicker, or of having cyclical illness, or some such.

I am not complaining, of course! I am just feeling quite confused. My doctor is not yet an LLMD, but she has read a lot about Lyme.

Anyone else who is relatively healthy have Lyme, and/or a low CD57? Are you/did you treat without ABs?? Or is there another explanation for a low CD57?

Posts: 9 | From Nevada County, CA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigstan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigstan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have low CD-57. I have chronic LD. From what I have read HIV is the only other thing to lower CD-57 results.

(Excerpt)

No one knows for sure why CD57+ NK cells are low in Lyme disease patients, but it is important to note that many disease states that are often confused with chronic Lyme (MS, systemic lupus, rheumatoid arthritis) are not associated with low CD57+ NK counts.

The good news is that for most Lyme patients the CD57+ NK level increases as treatment progresses and health is regained.

Who knows?

--------------------
HERX is a Four Letter Word!

Posts: 716 | From If you're going through hell, keep going......Winston Churchill | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So we're told, at this time, that Lyme disease is the only illness that lowers CD57.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toppers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toppers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Bartonella alone can't lower this?
Posts: 501 | From Cleveland Ohio | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigstan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigstan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0165247800003163

Explains a little.

--------------------
HERX is a Four Letter Word!

Posts: 716 | From If you're going through hell, keep going......Winston Churchill | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think some docs are coming to the conclusion that it is not just lyme, but possibly other tickborne coinfections can also lower the CD 57.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sojourner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I disagree that other disease states do not have low Cd57 counts. There are no studies of Cd57 counts in MS or other neuro diseases similar to lyme. Furthermore, other diseases (MS) have been linked to low NK cell counts. The science just hasn't been done, yet or ever.
Posts: 554 | From Naples, Italy | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Dr. H at the last lyme conference Chlamydia can lower it too.

http://www.betterhealthguy.com/joomla/blog/216-ilads-2010-conference-takeaways

Info on chlamydia
http://www.cpnhelp.org/

Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jessielee
Member # 15806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessielee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Bartonella with a cd 57 of 13. My Dr. said he's seen this with Bartonella patients and that it's not just lyme that causes this
Posts: 11 | From va | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAXlover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAXlover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for those links cleo, I really appreciated reading that information as my daughter with crohns colitis (dx 4 yrs ago) was tested with the CD57 panel just 2 weeks ago.

So sad to find out the day before Thanksgiving that her score is 20. Mine is 18.

According to what I read the things that can lower the CD-57 are:

1. Lyme Borrelia
2. Tuberculosis (per Dr. R. S.)
3. Chlamydia pneumoniae (per Dr. R. S.)
4. maybe XMVR (virus)(per Dr. B)
5. blood draw in the middle of a herx ie., inflammation may make it drop (per Dr. R. S.)
6. HIV (? not positive on this)

I am still researching this for my 13 year old. I am so sad. She has been sickly now on+off for 1 1/2 years, even 3-4 bouts of cellulitis.

Now I'm going to have my 10 year old checked and my husband for the CD57 panel.

So sad,
-LAXlover

--------------------
LAXlover

Posts: 371 | From Northern Baltimore Area | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what exactly is cd-57??? is it important??

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement