LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Does stopping antibiotics for awhile cause all the progress to be derailed?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does stopping antibiotics for awhile cause all the progress to be derailed?
BackinStOlaf
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on Bicillin for 6 months, am doing 2 more months until i can't afford anymore.

If i get worse when I stop, and then I have to start again, will the previous 8 month progress be for nothing?

I don't want to have taken shots 3 times a week for 8 months for no reason!

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kramberry
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kramberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Think the answer is yes. Yes it would just be a waste as the infection was not fully eradicated.

I guess some of us at some point will also affect trratment due to high cost of treating our disease. I know the feeling. i cant work, our savings just keep depleting. Makin me think somewhere down the road me and my wife would also have to stop treatment.

Its really a disease for the rich without even the guarantee that you can heal even if you the money.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 215 | From California | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I disagree. Bicillin has excellent kill kinetics. You are greatly reducing your spirochete load with 8 months of Bicillin.

Everyone I know who got worse AFTER Bicillin needed to treat the co-infection(s) that came forward.

Can you afford Mino or Doxy? Flagyl or Tindamax? Oral meds would keep you from relapsing.

If you stop everything, your bugs will continue to multiply. If or when you relapse will depend on your pathogen load and the strength of your immune system.

Don't freak out. This illness is one day at a time. 8 months of Bicillin is a great investment in your health. You'll just have to figure out how to maintain your gains.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boxer: I just started Mino a few weeks ago and am herxing like crazy. I never herxed like this before in my 2 years of treatment. I'm taking that as a good sign! (I hope)

So yea, I will continue with the orals. I may even decide just to go into debt to keep on the bicillin if my LLMD says I should. I have a couple months to think about it.

I am also starting oral chelation next month so we'll have to see how everything mixes together

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Discussion here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/111928

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it would be a good idea to quit all abx but switching to something else might be helpful especially if you can address one of the co-infections that may be emerging.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm interested in this conversation since I'm getting to the tail end of 6 months of Bicillin after being on 5 years of abx. And 16 months of those were IV.

I have an appointment with my LLMD next week and as of my last appointment, I was suppose to be dropping a medication a month for the last three months and the Bicillin is the last I'm on.

Obviously I'm hoping that my body will be able to fight this and not need more....but the "what if's" are pretty scary since I do NOT want to be going through this process all over again.

With what you are asking...I have actually heard BOTH sides. Yes, some times people fall, but I know that Dr. B use to talk about how he would stop treatment and then when it got too rough, he would run another round. Keep doing this until he wiped the disease totally out.

So if my doctor has me stop the Bicillin, should I be trying to get something oral ...sort of like a maintenance abx or can you stop something like Bicillin and have it be the end of treatment?

I would hope that these LONG LONG five years of treatment were going to kill all this off and I will function without it, but with so little research on this disease....I don't think anyone knows for sure how to finish up treatment to be sure it works every time. Trail and error. Ugh.

Anyway.....I'll be interested to hear how you do and good luck!

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura_W
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura_W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am in a similar boat. I am going to see my doctor on Wenesday. I have been receiving Bicillin injections since April. I'm not sure how long my Dr will be willing to continue. I am currently also on Omnicef (been on it for 4 mo). I haven't herxed from the Omnicef in 3mo.

I took a bit of a break from the bicillin, because I had managed to get a cold and it affected my intestines, I just didnt think I could handle more stress on them. So, I have gone 3 wks without the bicillin. ( I normally do shots every other week)

I feel so much better when I am not doing the shots!!!!!!!

I know, no pain no gain... but, dang... It's so nice to be able to walk up the stairs to my apartment without stopping. Let alone having to stop and take them one at a time.

Part of me wants to say screw it all. But, another part of me knows that I'm not well. I still have symptoms, which are much worse when on the abx.

I just want to feel like I am making some type of progress.

--------------------
10/10 EIA 1.4+, 41 (IGG), 23 (IGM)
Bitten over 20 years ago.
Currently not treating, looking for a Dr who will work with my insurance lol.

More muscular, cognitive, nerve issues than joints. Facial droop and blurred vision.

Posts: 323 | From Michigan | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement