LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » SUPPLEMENTS for 2 yr old and 13 yr old

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SUPPLEMENTS for 2 yr old and 13 yr old
TheGee44
Member # 34394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheGee44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
--- In [email protected], "Gina" <gina.mcdee@...> wrote:
>
> Hi All
>
> I am heading out today to load up on supplements/herbs for my kids. I REALLY need help on what is safe to give them.
>
> I am making the appt. this morning (THANK YOU JENNIFER) with the LLMD, but want to start adding some things now.
>
> My concerns are
>
>
> 1. Yeast. What can I use. PLEASE GIVE DOSAGES FOR BOTH 2 1/2 yr old (38lbs) and 13 yr old (100lbs)
>
> 2. Immune support. PICKY EATERS so supplements are better than food choices.
>
> 3. ANYTHING to support the behavioral symptoms...ie rage, OCD, anxiety.
>
> 4. Joint and muscle support
>
> 5. Brain function
>
> 6. Probiotic?
>
> BEST CHOICES are those that can be added to juices or in liquid form for the little guy.
>
> THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR BEING HERE! You are truly a Godsend!
>
> ASAP if possible
>
> Ps....PLEASE don't redirect me to a website....my mind is on overload and I tend to get lost even though I know you are trying to help. Add the site...I can read it later....but straight forward supplementation is better [Smile]
>
> Thx
>
> Gina
>

--------------------
Looking for answers and support! Can't wait to get better and SPREAD THE WORD!

Posts: 26 | From San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garden
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is what I give my three year old:

"smoothie" with
1/2 cup almond breeze
1 teaspoon cocoa
1 scoop Elecare elemental formula
1 Thorne adult multi-vitamin (adult dose is 6/day)
1 Thorne multi-min (adult dose is 3/day)
1 Culturelle probiotic
1000 mg Vitamin D

She will chew Nordic Naturals strawberry flavor Omega 3s
She will chew ZymePrime digestive enzymes - the grape flavor chewable tabs.

From my older (39 pound) child:
Behavioral: gluten-free and (even more important for us) dairy-free
Yeast: practioner gave us Diflucan

Supplements: Bach's "Rescue Remedy" drops for behavioral issues. Not a fix-all, but sometimes helps.

MAKE SURE child is getting sufficient calories. Poor calorie consumption in a child can cause all sorts of behavioral/health issues. I would not go low-carb or sugar-free because of this.

I hope this helps!!

--------------------
Garden

"Fibromylagia" for 8+ years
Pos IgeneX WB per both Igenex and CDC
Pos Neuroscience MyLymeImmuneID
Started tx for Lyme in March 2011

Posts: 245 | From East Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garden
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wanted to add:

Quercetin, curcumin, enzymes (to break biofilm on yeast colonies), and others sounds like great things to add, but they taste nasty in smoothies. There is nthing worse than adding $5 worth of supplements to a smoothie, and then your child refuses to drink - and when you try it, it is DISGUSTING.

Save your money, and start out simple.

--------------------
Garden

"Fibromylagia" for 8+ years
Pos IgeneX WB per both Igenex and CDC
Pos Neuroscience MyLymeImmuneID
Started tx for Lyme in March 2011

Posts: 245 | From East Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrystalKlear
Member # 34042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KrystalKlear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not buy too much before seeing the LLMD as he/she will probably have their own preference of what supplements to give.

My kids will swallow capsules so I don't know anything about liquids, and FYI my kids aren't on antibiotics, but I can share with you the basics that I give them. These really are only the basics:

high quality Fish oil. I give one capsule, around 1 gram, a day to my kids. I think that's the absolute minimum and I wish they would take more. I like Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega, and Carlson "Super Omega-3 Gems Fish Oil."

Probiotic - I like Genestra Brands HMF Intensive. If you can't find it, look for something with both lactobacillus and bifidobacteriums. Try to get something with at least 25 billion CFU for now, but if your family goes on antibiotics you would need much higher CFU's; again the LLMD will help with that.

Vitamin C - one gram a day. I use Nature's Way capsules. (If you want a liquid, you could try Emergen-C packets - they have 1 gm of vitamin C as well as some B vitamins and a little zinc).

Vitamin D3 - at least 1000 iu a day, probably more up to 4000 iu a day; unless you live in Florida or equivalent (even then, if your kids swim or wear sunscreen, they probably are low in vitamin D). Any brand is okay as long as it is D3 (cholecalciferol) and not D1 or D2. I use capsules with liquid vitamin D3, but if you buy the powdered capsules perhaps you can dump them into a smoothie?

Multi-vitamin/mineral - I use one from mercola.com called "Dr. Mercola's whole food multi-vitamin", but I don't think they make it anymore (I think they only have tablets now, not capsules). I look for high B vitamins, zinc, iodine, and selenium, among other minerals. Anyways if I were you I think I would wait for the LLMD before spending too much on multi-vitamin/minerals.

Good luck,

Krystal

Posts: 24 | From West Coast | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGee44
Member # 34394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheGee44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thx all! We are battening yeast right now.

I have noticed the white patches in my mouth. Any suggestions on that?

--------------------

Posts: 26 | From San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrystalKlear
Member # 34042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KrystalKlear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, for detailed supplement info I suggest reading the first Topic in "Medical Questions" = called "Dr. B's 2008 guidelines for Treatment:".

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/109735

Look at the table of contents. There is a section on supplements, and he lists the supplements in what he calls order of importance.

Also, there is a section near the end on managing yeast.

Good luck,

K

Posts: 24 | From West Coast | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0ldman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 0ldman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Garlic, fresh. If your kids can swallow a pill, crush it and give it to them is sizes they can swallow. If you don't touch your tongue with it before you take a sip to swallow it, the taste isn't too strong.

Garlic has helped me more consistently with yeast, Lyme and Bart symptoms than the abx, and aside from the occasional indigestion, there are no side effects that I know of. Its food.

--------------------
Ticks suck.

Posts: 140 | From Alabama | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGee44
Member # 34394

Any advice on what time of day/empty stomach/ etc that pro biotics and vitamin supplements should be taken?

--------------------

KrystalKlear
Member # 34042

I am not an expert, and I could easily be wrong on this..... but, this is what I do:

I give all vitamins and probiotics with food.

I give the multi-vitamin in the morning, in case the B vitamins make it hard to sleep.

I give fish oil and probiotics with dinner.

The only other thing I do is make sure that Vitamin D is given with a meal that has fat in it (like butter or oil) as it is better absorbed with fat. (I give D either in the a.m. or p.m., I don't think it matters.)

Krystal

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement