LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Does anyone take ADD meds?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does anyone take ADD meds?
TxLymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, please don't blast me for this but I was so incredibly tired a few days ago (and I work full time...had a very busy day) so I decided to try something new for my overwhelming fatigue (my worse symptom). So I took one of my daughter's ADD pills (Vivanse). Holy WOW! I haven't felt that good since I was a teenager. All my fatigue disappeared, I was able to think clearly, my mood was awesome. I wondered to myself "is this what it is like to feel normal?"

I don't think I am ADD but since getting lyme, my mind is foggy, I'm forgetful, and mostly I just require so much sleep I can't get as much done as a normal person.

Does anyone out there take ADD meds....does it help with the lyme? Or would this be hurtful overall? The one thing I did notice is the next 2 days after taking the pill I was much more fatigued than usual and had a lot of leg aches/pains that I did not have previously.

So I don't know...I'm just desperate to feel like a "normal" person and after 2 years of abx, supplements, changing eating habits etc...I"m still not better. I've had months of getting better for a while... but the lyme just keeps coming back [Frown]

--------------------
TxLymie
IgG-Negative
IgM - Postive bands 23 and 41

Other dx: 2000: Endometriosis 2009: Chronic EBV, Mycoplasma infection, HHV6, H.pylori

Posts: 297 | From Houston | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jmb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started taking Addreall XR a year before I got sick. Becasue I was ADD then. It made me feel awesome. Actually it made me feel like I was normal.

Then Lyme and Co showed up. I kept taking it. I kept working. I am mostly well now. But the Adderall no longer seems to work. I am more ADD now than before.

And tired. Don't know if it is because I am sick, or just ADD or because the gut is a wreck after three years of ABX.

SO I have more questions than answers. But when I was at my worst I am not sure I could have continued to work without it. And without the work I would have had no insurance. So for that reason I am glad I had it.

--------------------
enjoy the day.

-jmb

Posts: 208 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxLymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how long did you take adderall and do you still take it? Also did you ever have to increase the dose? Just curious. I hate to add another med but it sure did help me

--------------------
TxLymie
IgG-Negative

Other dx: 2000: Endometriosis 2009: Chronic EBV, Mycoplasma infection, HHV6, H.pylori

Posts: 297 | From Houston | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to be rather fatigued. I had a doctor prescribe Provigil. Yes, it gave me some energy, but also the worst frickin' headache.

What turned the corner on my fatigue was Babs treatment and Humaworm. I'm thinking it's time to hit the Humaworm stuff again.

If you've never treated for Babs, that could be your missing piece.

To answer your original question: I know nothing about ADD meds.

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ktkdommer
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a doctor at the ILADS conference saying he was using Adderall on some of his patients and how it improves their quality of life. They have more energy and cognitively are better.

My son is on Adderall and is old enough now to let me know how much it helps. If he has a big test, he double checks to make sure I gave it to him.

My poor heart won't let me take it. I dream of it some days.

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
racer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for racer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like vyvanse - can't function without it.

--------------------
Me - Igenex: IgM: 41IND, IgG: 39IND, 41+ but Plasmid PCR Positive
Kiddo - after 1 year IV - positive Lyme culture (before IV: IgM:31,34,41,83-93 IND; IgG: 41+++, 66+)

Posts: 133 | From CT | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxLymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20847

Racer- Do you take it in combination with abx or other meds?

I haven't talked to my doc about this yet but I'm considering it. Just not sure how it interacts with other meds.

--------------------
TxLymie
IgG-Negative

terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you had your thyroid checked? My doctor wanted to put me on adderal for my afternoon fatigue. I convinced him to test my thyroid. My numbers were all in range but he was willing to try me an very low dose of synthroid. It has made a world of difference.
Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jmb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started at 30mg, and have bumped up to 45 though i try to take at least one day off per week, and because i get 15mg capsules I also will just take 30 or even sometimes 15mg.

I am not sure I would start Adderall now based on what I know. I wouldn't do it unless you have to.

--------------------
enjoy the day.

-jmb

Posts: 208 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
racer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for racer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take vyvanse for ADD, but it helps so much with energy too. When I don't take it, my body and thinking is sluggish and I can't seem to get out of my own way. I like Vyvanse much better than Adderal and Concerta - it has a smoother delivery, so I don't feel the ramp/taper of the drug.

... and I don't work for them [Smile]

I also take synthroid, antibiotics (oral/IV) and a ton of supplements.

racer

--------------------
Me - Igenex: IgM: 41IND, IgG: 39IND, 41+ but Plasmid PCR Positive
Kiddo - after 1 year IV - positive Lyme culture (before IV: IgM:31,34,41,83-93 IND; IgG: 41+++, 66+)

Posts: 133 | From CT | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement