LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Wow: IDSA founding member writes new book in support of chronic Lyme!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wow: IDSA founding member writes new book in support of chronic Lyme!!!
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.amazon.com/Treatment-Chronic-Lyme-Disease-Fifty-One/dp/1462056857/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320766081&sr=8-2

Has anyone seen or read this?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I thought this might be a joke, or a slam on patients somehow but it looks like it might actually be a book that looks at chronic lyme with brave and honest eyes.

$25. is not much to most people who've not yet lost all they had - and for anyone with a Kindle, it's just $4.00 -- you can also look inside the book a bit at this link.

After reading what I could, it seems like he gets the picture. He does state that, in his experience and view, untreated - or under treated - lyme can result in years of debility.

He invites those who do not believe in chronic lyme to explore the book, etc.

It made me cry to read this from a doctor who was / is (?) a member of IDSA. I hope other doctors with the IDSA read it with open eyes and an open mind (and an open heart if they still have one).

I'd love to hear from anyone who reads this more about it. He outlines case studies from fifty patients, includes many essays and more.

A breath of fresh air, indeed. This give me hope that someday we won't have to whisper in shame when we need medical care.

-------------------------

http://www.amazon.com/Treatment-Chronic-Lyme-Disease-ebook/dp/B0061HPSYE/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320885996&sr=1-1

KINDLE link $4.00
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Oh goodness, I didn't realize there was a kindle version! I just sent myself the free sample. Thanks!

Why did you think it might be a joke? Because the news came from me?

*insert halo icon here* [Smile]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But what does HE consider to be "chronic Lyme?" I would be suspicious and wouldn't put my money on it until someone I trust says it's great.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
James, oh, no. Not because you posted it.

But anytime the term IDSA is connected to anything about lyme that might seem hopeful, it usually involves at least the twist of one long knife.

I had just seen this video clip and thought your post might also be a joke like this one that rings so true to my own experiences, dozens of times over:
---------------

Posted by PenguinGirl

http://goanimate.com/movie/0XCA4kvs8vk4?utm_source=facebook

Lyme Disease? Bah! The Very Idea.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Good point by TuTu: what does HE consider to be "chronic Lyme?"

You can see his basic definition if you go to the Kindle Link, click on "Look Inside this book" and scroll nearly all the way down. "Chronic Lyme" has a basic outline at the end of the readable scroll.

He suggests treating the organisms & possibly along with methods to help with autoimmunity corrections.

But, speculation aside, I don't have a Kindle and don't have $25 for the book so will look forward to others' book reviews.

The chapter titles seem on target.

I really hope he gets it. From what I could read of the look inside the book, it looks promising.
-

sideways
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sideways     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just sent it to my Kindle.

I'll report back after I read it. That could take awhile, though. I'm reading with one eye these days and I'm a little slower than I used to be!

Posts: 181 | From Midwest girl gone home | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Keebler - you don't need a kindle to be reading kindle ebooks. You can download a free program for your PC. If you have a smartphone, most of them also have free programs.

Just google: "Kindle pc app".

If I end up buying the book, I'll see if it's "lendable". Then they'll let me "lend" it to you for 2 weeks for free.

sideways - can you see if the book is "lendable"?

seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a self published book which could be either good or bad.

When I looked on Amazon just now the book does not have the search inside the book feature option.

Personally I would not buy the book until someone I trust reviews it. The book must be selling well or it has shipped to bookstores recently -- the paperback book ranks around 16,000 in book sales which is a pretty high number considering the hundreds of thousands or maybe it is millions of books available from Amazon.

I just got some credit card rebate money and do plan on finally buying a couple of the other lyme books which have been out for several years.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JAC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I just downloaded it on my kindle for $4.00. I will let you know more about it later.

--------------------
A little lymie...

Posts: 104 | From Greener Pastures in PA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Bea,

The paper book link does not have a "look inside this book" option.

It's just the Kindle link that lets you "look inside the book" for selected pages, mostly the table of contents and a forward.

http://www.amazon.com/Treatment-Chronic-Lyme-Disease-ebook/dp/B0061HPSYE/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320885996&sr=1-1
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
James,

Thanks for that detail. I am very overwhelmed with anything but the most basic task for my computer. I don't even know how to do most simple things but I'll explore that sometime when my brain can wake up a bit.
-

TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GREAT find James!!

Check out his website.
http://www.waisbrenclinic.com/

Here is an essay on his website.
http://www.waisbrenclinic.com/chronic-lyme-disease-idsa.html

The Emperor�s New Clothes, Chronic Lyme Disease, and the Infectious Disease Society of America

Dr W, Sr. M.D. FACP
Founding Member and Fellow of the Infectious Disease Society of America

This essay will start with a definition of Chronic Lyme disease: Chronic Lyme disease is a syndrome that results when individuals who have been inoculated with multiple microorganisms by infected ticks and who have not responded to an initial course of doxycycline develop extreme fatigue, intermittent fever, joint pain, muscle pain, brain fog, concentration difficulties, skin rashes, and in many instances symptoms of autoimmune disease to the extent that they impinge upon their quality of life.

When one comes face to face with patients of this type in whom other diseases are ruled out, it is obvious that something serious is amiss.

It�s a conundrum why a group of respected physicians who are members of the Infectious Disease Society of America have not recognized this and have, instead, written a guideline that essentially denies that the syndrome exists. This guideline has resulted in literally hundreds of patients unable to be treated for Chronic Lyme disease.

Conclusions regarding this conundrum may be:
1) The physicians who wrote and signed the guidelines of the Infectious Disease Society of America may have seen what they expected to see in the manner of the populace described in the Hans Christian Anderson�s perceptive fairy tale, �The Emperor�s New Clothes.�

2) Perhaps the authors of the guidelines had too much respect for authority and decided to sign the guidelines based on the opinion of some of the members of the society without having personal involvement in the treatment of the syndrome.

3) Perhaps they were unduly influenced by the expenses incurred in the many factors concerned in the empirical treatment of Chronic Lyme Disease.

4) Most probably they were influenced by controlled studies in the medical literature, which were based on Deductive conclusions rather than Inductive conclusions as described by Francis Bacon in 1622. Have they forgotten the well accepted statistical dictum � absence of proof does not equal proof of absence.

Deductive conclusions in regard to Chronic Lyme disease are suspect because there is no way to prove that a person has Chronic Lyme disease. Personal observations (inductive) are what has to be relied upon to conclude that an individual has Chronic Lyme disease.

In Hans Christian Anderson�s story, a little boy turns the tide by yelling out, �But the emperor has no clothes!� At the present time we must await the time when many will yell out �These patients are sick!�

This point will have to be proven by inductive observational studies of patients subjected to empirical treatment for chronic Lyme disease. For these inductive studies to reach a level of scientific certainty great enough to indicate empirical multifactorial treatment of chronic Lyme disease, physicians will have to once again believe what their patients tell them. To do this they will have to remove the �double blind� blinders put on their eyes by Claude Bernard in his monumental book of experimental medicine.

The Internet will provide service in this regard if physicians who treat chronic Lyme disease will present to their colleagues and patients detailed case reports regarding this experience on the internet as well as in the medical literature. Respected medical journals still reluctantly present case reports. Unfortunately, when they do so they usually warn about anecdotal evidence. In this respect isn�t it ironic that huge numbers of individuals strongly accept ideas based on anecdotes presented in religious tomes and serious literature.

Phillips, in a brilliant critique of the IDSA guidelines, has separated out numerous observational studies that suggest the occurrence of chronic Lyme disease as described in this essay.

Read More About Chronic Lyme Disease

1. Update on Our Present Treatment of Chronic Lyme Disease.

2. Three Anecdotal Case Reports Regarding Chronic Lyme Disease with a Hypothesis That Might Explain How They Came About

3. The Management of Chronic Lyme disease

4. Treatment of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Multiple Sclerosis with Anti-Lyme Disease Antibiotics

[ 11-09-2011, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's an amazing essay.

One thing I disagree with is this statement:

"This guideline has resulted in literally hundreds of patients unable to be treated for Chronic Lyme disease."

It is more like thousands or hundreds of thousands who are ill and untreated. Some LLMD's have treated thousands and how many are sick and don't know they have lyme and coinfections?

In any case, I'll be thrilled if his book holds similar sentiments to his essay.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JAC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I have read the first 10 patients reports that he seen and they were all "well" so far within a 2 yr period. Off meds and back to a "normal" life. I am still skeptical about this.

--------------------
A little lymie...

Posts: 104 | From Greener Pastures in PA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Terry !!!!!

If anyone survives daily infusions of 6 grams of Rocephin for 6 - 8 weeks in combo with oral Flagyl and another oral antibiotic they deserve a medal.

Not sure how the docs treats coinfections but he defintely doesn't seem to mess around with lyme.

Don't think there is any way hubby could have tolerated the docs treatment.

The website gives the details above regarding updated treatment of chronic lyme.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34240

Ok now I am really annoyed. This guy keeps using Quest for his blood work and with every test he reports "negative from Quest" I don't get it, why use Quest at all?

--------------------
A little lymie...

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JAC:
Ok now I am really annoyed. This guy keeps using Quest for his blood work and with every test he reports "negative from Quest" I don't get it, why use Quest at all? [/QB]

-
That is pretty weird.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34240

All these stories so far have happy endings. Now whether he is just reporting those who are well and not a well rounded figure of his patients in general he has not stated.

IMO to many patients getting spinals too. This proves to be intersting reading because I want to know why everyone is all better lol. My story would not be found in his book, thats for sure.

**his website has already been posted**

[ 11-10-2011, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
A little lymie...

mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2kids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read the "free sample" on my Kindle and have been reading other articles from him online. I am by no means the expert that so many of you are on the Dr.'s/aspects of CLD, but what I have read so far seems okay to me. I will be downloading the whole book and when I am don will lend it out also, if somebody more "techie" than me tells me how to do it.

Being a founding member of the IDSA doesn't necessarily make one a bad person (ducking the rotten fruit being thrown at me).

~Dr. D was removed for fighting to include the diagnosis of CLD and longer treatment

~Ben Luft was demoted because he wanted to hear Dr. D out

(I posted these names because it is public knowlege of this information, let me know if I was wrong)

I just don't want to dismiss people because they were at one time (or still are) associated with a certain group. And that goes for more than the IDSA or Lyme in general.

Just my 2 cents, fo whatever it may be worth.

**ALL names of LLMDs are off-limits here. This whole thread is in question**

[ 11-10-2011, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
Down on her knees, she wept on the floor.
This hopeless life, she wanted no more.
Dead in the mind and cold to the bone,
She opened her eyes and saw she was alone. ~Seether

Posts: 427 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

JAC - perhaps check out the website case reports. He mentions sending tests to IGeneX and also somewhere else on the site that they will use a speciality lab if requested.

More importantly he states emphatically that they diagnose clinically and treat empirically so no positive test needed.

In one of the case reports it looks like they treated for 4 years. He also mentions the need for re-treatment.

I don't agree with every single thing that he says but I think it is amazing that he is a founder of IDSA and has come out with a book supporting chronic lyme. This should help other IDSA members be more open minded.

This is one of the most hopeful developments that I've seen since I've been in treatment for chronic lyme disease.

Terry

Lymetoo
Member # 743

He's been treating chronic Lyme for quite awhile. So I see no breakthrough.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2kids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Lymetoo, my bad. I thought if it was in a published book it would be ok. I'll go stand in the corner now...actually is it ok if I just lay in the corner?

[bonk]

--------------------

Posts: 427 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

The breakthrough is that he is coming out for the IDSA and the world with his experience and belief that chronic lyme exists. He is publicly breaking rank. I would think he has considerable credibility which is very helpful in getting the interest of anyone sitting on the fence or who doesn't have the background in infectious disease so just takes the word of the IDSA. He has an amazing background (read his qualifications on the website).

I think it is a breakthrough and I'm sticken to it. LOL

Terry

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
He is very brave to do this. I sure appreciate that.
-

JAC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34240

This is true Terry he may be coming out but I am still not impressed. I have read so far 39 patient reports and imo he is reporting more tests with quest having negative results. He does have some results from ingenex in there. Why even do quest was my point.

He seems to use a standard of difluxucan, gamma globulin, flagyl and ketek along with abx. to treat his pts.

One thing that annoys me as I have this also is anyone who has white spots on their mri he says this is suggestive of MS. I have been to neurologists and they do not agree with that diagnosis at all. Unless I am somehow misunderstanding what his reports say.

Also he refers to his patients as having Epstien Barr, what is up with that diagnosis with lyme? I am not familiar with that. Patient after patient has that in their report.

You can go to his website and read some of his cases in his book on there.

--------------------
A little lymie...

Lymetoo
Member # 743

IS HE A CURRENT MEMBER OF THE IDSA??

I don't see the difference between this book and a book by any other LLMD??

--
Yes, mom2kids.. you may lie in the corner!! [Razz]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Wonder what those at the local lyme support group near the author have to say about how they are now?
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Keebler:
-
Wonder what those at the local lyme support group near the author have to say about how they are now?
-

-
VERY good question.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JAQ said.. "This guy keeps using Quest for his blood work and with every test he reports "negative from Quest" I don't get it, why use Quest at all?"

1. Quest antibody tests in some cases tend to pick up infections that Igenex and others don't because they are using PCR tests. I've found this especially true for Bartonella tests. They have several additional strains they test for too.

2. If you can get a positive Quest test (it does happen), and it is paid for by insurance and is allowed in the insurers "plan", use it first. That saves the patient big $$$$. Other tests can be used later if needed.

3. The IDSA/CDC has been putting out a lot of trash on "other specialty labs" and tests not being acceptable, mostly the labs used by us and LLMD's. If you can get a positive by Quest it is more plausible the insurer won't balk as much.

4. Since he is treating Lyme as a "clinical diagnosis" as it should be, test results are being used only to help support the diagnosis and a negative test doesn't rule out lyme or other TBD's.

Hope that helps.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This book is a HUGE break through for us and our position.

To have an IDSA founder, fellow and member publicly admit there is such a thing as "CHRONIC Lyme disease" is a HUGE step in the right direction!

It goes against the IDSA Lyme Panel, the Guidelines Panel and its authors, and the "official position" of the entire organization. Not to mention it debunks the position of Yale, Ho Ho Hopkins, Hold the Mayo Clinic, etc.

To publish 50 plus case studies PROVING chronic Lyme disease even exists is unheard of in this day and age, especially by an IDSA member.

I am very happy about this and think he is helping us a lot. And he is risking a lot by doing it.

Three thumbs up for him!!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

JAC said ... " I have read so far 39 patient reports and imo he is reporting more tests with quest having negative results."

That is fine. As long as he isn't using the negative results to say "no Lyme" and is treating people in spite of negative tests.

As they say when doing the hokey pokey...

"That's what it's all about!"

```````````````````````````````````````

JAC said... "One thing that annoys me as I have this also is anyone who has white spots on their mri he says this is suggestive of MS."

The white matter lesions historically have been used to "confirm" a diagnosis of MS. Use to be the main test used to say a patient had MS.

Not until recent years have radiologists and others even considered adding Lyme to the list of possible diagnoses when white matter lesions are noted on the MRI's. This alone was a difficult barrier to overcome.

If he didn't mention MS when white matter lesions were seen he would be compromising himself and his patient in the process. Plus he could be in trouble with the medical board for not considering the lesions and listing the "differential" diagnoses in his report.

````````````````````````````````````````````
JAC said ... "Also he refers to his patients as having Epstien Barr, what is up with that diagnosis with lyme? I am not familiar with that. Patient after patient has that in their report."

Many moons ago I started noticing EBV was showing up here in Lyme patients, and not only were the readings positive, they were HIGHLY positive.

I contacted some LLMD's and told them of the situation and did a good deal of research on it myself.

Doctors started testing chronic Lyme patients for the EBV and they noted the same thing. Usually very high readings.

And again, if that diagnosis isn't checked and ruled in or out, it can do a disservice to patient and put doc in hot water.

The question now is.....

Is EPV being passed by ticks? Is it an opportunistic infection? Or is it just unfortunate that the patient has 2 distinct diseases?

We don't know for sure yet.

Also, some of the LLMD's treat with anti-viral medications for viruses, so they need to be checked.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions. I do love it that you are asking them. Keep thinking and keep asking.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

One more point...

In the "old days", when we didn't all have access to better tests like Igenex tests, many people had no choice than to have the IDiot ducks depend on the not so good tests.

If negative, patients were told nothing was wrong with them and were sent packing.

If we could get patients to also ask their docs for an EBV test, it would almost always come out HIGHLY positive.

This would shock the docs. They would wonder- "How did that patient know to test for EBV? I would have never thought of it."

THAT little ditty alone would make the docs actually start listening to patients a little more, allowing us to educate them in the process.

It would also tell the docs these patients WERE physically sick, and not just crazy, as they would usually always think.

Years ago there was some published literature indicating MS patients often had a HIGH reading on the EPV tests too.

MS, Lyme, ????

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am still pinching myself that this is true. It sure is a breakthrough.

I also disagree with his statement, hundreds of patients are still sick. It should be hundreds of thousands.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

Lymetoo,

--
Yes, mom2kids.. you may lie in the corner!! [Razz] [/QB][/QUOTE]

Thank you ...

My EBV titers were 6x higher than normal on my last test and HHV-6 was very high also.

My LLMD was a founding member of the IDSA also, but he treats long term. I downloaded the whole book and will be starting it today. Docs can't all be bad and they won't all treat the same either, it's the outcome that counts.

--------------------

Tincup
Member # 5829

"...it's the outcome that counts."

And an A+ for effort too!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

BTW- I meant to post this for JAC earlier. It is a link to Epstein Barr info and other TBD's.

https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/tick-borne-diseases

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, you people who got this book and are reading it....let us know if all the cases turn out well. If none of them have to have openended treatment, then this is not a reflection of reality. You have to wonder if he got any really late stage cases, untreated for years also.

And if all the cases turned out well, is that because he pronounced them cured when they weren't, and those patients either then decamped to another doc for further treatment, or else they fell for the line that they now had something else instead of chronic lyme.

Sorry to be the grinch, but it will take a lot to convince me.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34240

Tincup that is great info. I never thought about them covering themselves by reporting on those issues. Epstein Barr info was really great info too. I have never been tested for Epstein Barr and so was baffled at this info. Makes alot of sense.

I never thought about doing quest because of insurance. I had mine done by Quest, MDL and Bethesda MD hosp.

All of them took my insurance. MDL were listed in the back of my ILADS booklet and yet my llmd doesn't put much stock in them.

LOU There were some pts who stopped treating or went elsewhere. He tried to followup on them and the outcome varied. I still find it odd that so many were cured. Yes I may be a grinch too but I am still skeptical.

It is great he is making progress by opening new doors. It will never cease to amaze me how much of a controversy lyme has become. How sad too.

It is such a small world. I went for a massage tonight to help my neck stiffness and hips. It was a new therapist today and we got on the subject of lyme. It turns out that her brother filmed the documentary Under our Skin. He has lyme himself.

--------------------
A little lymie...

nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lou, I tend to agree with you -- ideally.

However, if this guy was a IDSA power player, and for some reason I don't remember his name, but if he was, just the fact that he is bucking the tide with admitting that there is a serious multi-infection problem going on, that people often don't get well from guideline treatments as currently written, and that he himself treats these cases in an aggressive manner, similar to LLMDs, that the IDSA regularly shoots down -- just these facts are enough for this to be important.

I wouldn't expect him to become an ILADS convert or spokesman.

Hell, Fallon is on our side, supposedly, and he has never gone out on close to the limb this guy seems to be walking (based on the above reports of the books contents).

Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imagine2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This took a lot of courage. I just hope the IDSA will listen but I think they will discredit him. That seems to be their usual MO. [Frown]

Hats off to his bravery!

Posts: 677 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something interesting - I clicked on the 'About the Doctor' link on the website provided above and found this:

"His military service was at the Navy Medical Research Institute, Bethesda, Maryland and the Biological Warfare Center, Camp Dietrick, Maryland"

hmm.

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34240

Feelfit I thought that odd as well. Fort Dietrick was the site of the paperclip project, if any of you know how that relates to the tick, interesting reading.

--------------------
A little lymie...

METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's been on my LLMD list for a long time. I'm surprised no one knew about this.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just bought kindle version, looking forward to the read. Not sure how quickly I'll get it read but i bookmarked this thread for the future. Interesting points made here.

--------------------
www.mylymechronicle.wordpress.com

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a Lyme doctor who has been treating Lyme for some time.
Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Evidently he testified at the recent PA legislature hearing re the proposed lyme law, and on the right side.....so maybe this is the real thing.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by METALLlC BLUE:
He's been on my LLMD list for a long time. I'm surprised no one knew about this.

-
That's what I've been trying to say. He's an LLMD, so what else would you expect him to do/say?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this book interesting. I have read the 51 cases but not the essays yet. it also was interesting from a doctors perspective dealing with non-compliance, and working with other doctors (which in my opinion does not happen anymore--each doctor sees you through their eyes and works with you and drs don't seem to spend the time consulting one another anymore)

for those that have read it.. what about his protocols? there were some things I don't see talked about. ( it was gamma something injections) also, I noticed he mentions Diflucan as a cyst buster? is that true?

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Kudzuslipper:

for those that have read it.. what about his protocols? there were some things I don't see talked about. ( it was gamma something injections) also, I noticed he mentions Diflucan as a cyst buster? is that true?

-
IVIG??

I don't think Diflucan is a cyst buster, but others might.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

TerryK
Member # 8552

metallic wrote:

Most of us don't know the names and backgrounds of all the LLMD's since full names are not allowed + most of us go to LLMD's in our own State or in a nearby State.

I have no idea how long he's been an LLMD or if he is a member of ILADS or IDSA. I can tell you that the good old boy network is still alive in medicine. Hopefully he still has friends and collegues who will look at his work and think twice about the IDSA rhetoric.

Terry

merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that patients should at least try quest. I miraculously tested cdc pos and i think i get a heck of a lot more "respect" i guess since i have it and it was covered. My suggestion is to order the elisa AND westernblot not just elisa with reflex.

I also dont like the term syndrome.. maybe its just me

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wanted to add that a few llmds told me that the cat scratch panel at quest is reliable. They test for 5 strains of bart i.believe
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.waisbrenclinic.com/artinfo.html

Scroll down to see the author's essays on chronic lyme from his website

B. Chronic Lyme

Excerpt from the "Management" section:

http://www.waisbrenclinic.com/chronic-lyme-disease.html

. . . Has our approach �proved� that chronic Lyme disease exists or we have helped patients with it?

No, but if we and some of our patients had not thought that this approach has helped them we would not be including it in this website. . . .

----------- and his words on:

D. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia at

http://www.waisbrenclinic.com/chronic-fatigue.html

Excerpt:

. . . Some patients we have seen �who hurt all over� may well suffer from Somatization syndrome, which is described as severe generalized pain without known organic cause.

One help in coming to this diagnosis is that these patients pain breaks out of the boundaries so characteristic of fibromyalgia.

We have tried but have not helped patients of this type. . . .

--------------------------------------

Big Sigh regarding the CFS / FM page. I wonder if he relies on the typical inferior lyme tests to dx lyme.

And I wonder if other tick-borne and/or other chronic stealth infections such as Cpn, mycoplasmas, HHV-6 are considered - or heavy metals and adrenal dysfunction?

Wonder if he considers the range of porphyria abnormalities that can cause tremendous pain?
-

[ 01-10-2012, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Wondered if anyone has read this book yet?

Poppy just posted a new thread about it, asking for reader discussion:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/29500?#000005
-

Al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James, Keebler,
I click on the site below,

http://www.amazon.com/Treatment-Chronic-Lyme-Disease-Fifty-One/dp/1462056857/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320766081&sr=8-2
----------------------
and this is all I get,

Looking for something?
We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site

Go to Amazon.com's Home Page

?????????????

Posts: 789 | From CT, | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ME too ,Al......

My EBV numbers a year ago were a lot lower than this last October...and I'm sicker with LD and it's buddies......

So will this prove to be another BUDDY?

Can anyone else say they have done his treatment program as listed above?????
That he always or almost always treats with same meds.

Cause I don't recall seeing anybody list their treatment exactly that way...

I know I keep wanting a miracle /key cure.......and it doesn't work that way ,but is this different?? [confused] [bow] Nonna

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just ordered his book yesterday. No problem.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twicebitten
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twicebitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
where is kindle version? I can't find on amazon anymore. Anyone have the kindle version ? Did you get it at Amazon?

--------------------
One day at a time

Posts: 409 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

I have the Kindle version that I got from Amazon.

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Here's the updated Amazon link that mom2kids posted at another thread.

Everyone: take a look at who writes the first review here, a well known lyme expert.

http://www.amazon.com/Treatment-Chronic-Lyme-Disease-Fifty-One/dp/0982513887/

===========================

nefferdun
Member # 20157

I just got this book yesterday and started reading it. It is mainly reports of cases he treated, most of which were successful (that is encouraging).

He treated 51 patients. He lists the dates he treated each patient, how the treatment was altered and how they each progressed. This is very interesting because no one else has ever described this that I know of.

So far, of the 12 cases I have read, he started with IV Rocephin or ceftriaxone. He writes he used flagyl to help the gastrointestinal tract accept the antibiotics and because it was supposed to help with ""other forms" of borellia. I didn't know Flagyl was good for the gastrointestinal tract.

In some patients, he specifically says he used Diflucan for cysts. That is different but I have heard of it before.
Everyone got doxycycline but only 200 mg a day.

In the second part of the book he has essays such as the dangers of viral vaccines and his suggestion to add gamma globulin to treatment protocols.

This is a very interesting book - the kind you read cover to cover. Speaking of the cover, it is very offensive as it has a giant lone star tick. I found it so repulsive I immediately covered the picture with masking tape.

--------------------

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Here is a link to the essays he has on his website. You can probably find most of the information contained in his book in the essays here.

http://www.waisbrenclinic.com/artinfo.html

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

200mg of doxy?? Sheesh

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

dan67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dan67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update on if this book is worth the price? 51 case reports would seem pretty valuable. Does anyone know if he addresses co-infections?
Posts: 641 | From Nevada | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, I clicked on "search inside this book" feature at the Amazon link, and looked at the table of contents.
I don't see anything about coinfections.

One of the reviewers says that he didn't find anything that was helpful to him personally, as a patient.

You can actually read alot of the book, if you sign into Amazon and if your browser supports the "search" feature for the book.

p.s. I just read about "Patient 2."
The poor guy was "positive" that he had Lyme, and begged to be treated for it.
Although he had improvements, he still was not well, and the author says, "Did he have Lyme Disease at all, or had he fallen in love with the disease?"

Ugh.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Double UGH!

How about treating coinfections, doc!?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement