LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » My house smells bad - Further: Baking Soda could help?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My house smells bad - Further: Baking Soda could help?
susank
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(I ask about baking soda in a later post).

If taking a couple of apple pectin capsules counts as detoxing... I started taking AP a few days ago.

Past days I have smelled strong odors in my house. Maybe the odors are really that strong - but I have to wonder if my beginning efforts to detox may be effecting my sense of smell?

I am already over sensitive to everything. But this is bad. I have had two people come "smell my house" and they don't smell what I do.

"It" is burning my nose. Any ideas? Tks.

[ 11-19-2011, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: susank ]

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joalo
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up.

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A heightened sense of smell can be a result of chemical sensitivity or homones or probably other things that I'm not aware of.

I get a heightened sense of smell when I am toxic. Just guessing but perhaps you are mobilizing toxins but not getting them completely out of your system?

Terry
I'm not a doctor

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tks. I want to have my house tested. How do I find someone to do that?

ie to test my water, air quality, toxins in the house. Water leaks. Mold etc.

At first I thought the odors were coming from my sinks and drains. Nothing is clogged - but I wonder.

Our water supplier changed last year. The smell of the water is different. I particularly notice it when I am running hot water. Do water heaters have filters?

I also think I am smelling dog urine. Over the years the dogs had accidents - but nothing past years. This would be old urine remains I guess. If that is what I am smelling - wonder who could test it the old spots are "outgassing" - and if yes - what? And how to clean - not making things worse. I am, of course, chemical sensitive.

Tks any help. I know I need to get the book, "Mold Warriors" - but I need to find someone asap. Is there a list of reputable companies that do the house tests I need?

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if this is the same thing, but I have gone through days when I smell cigarettes. No one smokes, and I can't figure out what's going on. I though it was maybe coming from the house next door, but no one else smells it.

It's now gone, but I have had this happen for days at a time.

Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are companies that specialize in mold inspection and testing. They can do visual inspection, air quality testing and surface testing of any suspected mold they do find.

For the sinks/drains, are there any drains that you don't use frequently? Drains that aren't used can start to smell when they dry out. If you suspect something rotton down there, dump some bleach in there and then run hot water for a while.

For the burning in your nose, that could be mold. Or, is there anything new in your house that could be off-gassing? new cabinets, etc? Cabinets are notorious for off-gassing formaldehyde, which is an irritant and a carcinogen.

I looked into this a few months ago, but now don't recall who would test for that one (sorry). But you could start by opening those windows every day and seeing if it makes a difference.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An idea - if you're able to get an FIR portable sauna and detox, smells may not bother you so much anymore. I've been doing FIR for some months and it's easing the sensitivity to smells that I've had.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0ldman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 0ldman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did some reading and the Lyme bacteria is suppose to create ammonia in your body. Smell an awful lot like dog wizz.

I get that smell at the center of my chest, pretty strong on my shirt after a night sweat. My wife can barely smell it, but I smell it for the rest of the day.

On a positive note, I'm sure our place smells better because we have all kinds of odor neutralizers, candles and open windows all the time.

--------------------
Ticks suck.

Posts: 140 | From Alabama | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

Thanks all. This is all making me (more) nuts.
I think the smell is from my floor.

Years ago I had the carpet pulled up in the front room - where the dogs had had numerous accidents. The floor was "cleaned" but without chemicals. I had intended to have it better cleaned, then sealed. I never could find anything that I felt comfortable using to do that - chemical-wise. I bought some carpet runners to put down that can be laundered.

I think I am smelling ammonia residue from years ago. I had smelled it past years but now it seems really bad.

The floor (smooth concrete) needs to be better cleaned. I will have to have someone else do it. I hope soap and water will work.

Anytime in the past I have used anything to clean - the "cleaner" caused a chemical reaction that I smelled and sickened me.

ie what I thought was mildew/mold in the old fiberglass shower stall - I poured peroxide on it - that worked - but the after smell was strong and seemed toxic.

Is there a way to clean where the resulting odors can be "captured" and the "toxins" not released into the air?

Thanks. I am also reading the air filter thread. I need something like that. I also need to start wearing my silk "I Can Breathe" mask - once I am able to remove one of the layers. It appears to be a great mask - but for me the two-ply silk is too much - one might be better.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhitneyS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thought-- My house started smelling and I thought i was me, like detoxing and making the house smell.

When I moved, I put some supplements in the fridge (just to save space), and then the frige started to smell. It was my multi-vitamin. It took me like a year to realize it.

Posts: 844 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

I hear you on the vitamin smell. I have a drawer where in the past I had put some vitamins.
Then for whatever reason the smell really started bothering me. I got a bag - and as quickly as I could - put all the bottles in it and threw it out. Years later that drawer still smells.

Point: Baking Soda? This "remedy" just drawned on me. Until I can determine the source of all the things I smell too strongly - and until I have purchased an AustinAir - what about baking soda???? Put in bowls - dry - many - throughout the house? Wouldn't that help? BS really absorbs/neutralizes odors? of various kinds? Even "toxic" odors?????

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Urine odor can be mold. My husband found a large mold colony in the ceiling in the finished cellar. It was caused by a slow leaking pipe.
I could never figure out why it smelled like urine in that room. Took out the mold and the smell is gone.

Posts: 845 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could try spraying Orange Guard and see if that helps. It's from oranges and is a great cleaner. You can find it in healthfood stores and hardware stores.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a site that rents out an air pump so you can do air testing like the professionals do... a much less expensive way to get air testing done.
http://www.homemoldtestkit.com/

That same site ^^ sells tape lift kits for lab testing... so if you have visible mold, you can test that.

EMSL labs and mycometrics sell ERMI kits which is a dust test. You can either use a vacuum or a dust cloth. This is the way I first tested (vacuum) and it is a reliable way to tell you if there is a problem in the home. The disadvantage is it does not tell you where the problem is!
http://www.emsl.com
http://mycometrics.com

I still think the best test is leaving the home and taking NOTHING with you. If you take clothes, take them to the laundromat and wash them with a cup of ammonia... then put them in NEW bags that did not come from your home. (get rid of the unwashed clothes you are wearing)

Stay in a safe, clean place for a week or two and see if your health improves.

My son was unable to walk, had trouble remembering words, forming sentences, could not read, was in terrible pain, constant nausea and much more. He was on a downhill slide for 9 months.

He was diagnosed with Lyme Disease in July 2010 and moved out of the house (taking nothing with us) in April 2011

FOUR DAYS after leaving the house he was getting better. 6 months later, he was 100% better.

He was the worst of all of us... but we were all sick to some degree. Mold is a hidden and HUGE factor in our health!

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement