LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Taking probiotics at same time with ABX's

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Taking probiotics at same time with ABX's
nonna05
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33557

Icon 12 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! This just came up last night.....After years of separating ABX's from when I took antibiotics.........

.A well know doctor wrote out my instructions last year for treatment of the chronic infection,to do with Keets, that I'd been fighting for years.

First plan , of many to come. In morning start with Zith 250 x's 1 and 150 rifampin X's 1 and one of his three choices of probiotics x's 1 all in am.. as in together..later came the supplements and drops.....Lord I had a hard time then with taking everything.

Last night I read where someone said they should not be taken together... I've been throwing extra in once in a while when taken antibiotics thinking it might help smooth the antibiotic irritation. Not harming anything the ABX's did and probably mostly wasting the probiotic's at that time.

But any little help for the gut was worth the try and several probiotic's , later separate from ABX's [confused] [confused] [confused] [bow]

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
getting ready to start all the pills etc.

Comments Anybody?????

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The print out from my LLMD said to take probiotics two hours before or two hours after taking antibiotics.

Also, magnesium needed to be two to three hours away from abx.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you need to take probiotics away from antibiotics. Otherwise, the antibiotics just kill the probiotics.

So, to keep them alive for the longest time possible, take them at least 2 hours after antibiotics. They will live until you take antibiotics again.

If you can take them last thing before you go to bed, you will have the benefit of them all night long.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0ldman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 0ldman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I set an alarm on my cell phone for 2 hours after taking abx. As TF says, abx just kill the pbx if you take them too close together.

The problem I'm running in to is some supplements are taken with food, some without, some abx with, some without, get up, take supps, wait an hour, take rifampin, wait an hour, eat, take abx, wait 2 hours, take pbx, gotta eat some time during the day, make sure I have 2 hours after to take my rifampin again, eat, abx, pbx...

That dang alarm is driving me nuts.

--------------------
Ticks suck.

Posts: 140 | From Alabama | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you are treating lyme, you literally live by the clock.

You have a schedule of when you have to eat, when you can't eat, when you have to take a med, when you have to take probiotics, when you have to wake up, etc.

Your entire day IS spent watching the clock to see when it is time to do the next thing. But, the reward for carefully doing this is the chance to regain your health. Much less complications if you pay attention to these things and do them when you are supposed to.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do not take any probiotics with abx. it kills them, period. can't imagine a doctor saying take them together. course my doctor never recommends them at all.

even my sister who's on a ton of meds for her ra, her doctor does not recommend probiotics. amazing...and she takes a lot of iv treatments.

i take vitamins and probiotics at 8, then about 10:30 abx, then at dinner around 4, more abx, then about 7-8 more probiotics.

it's hard and then when you're travelling, most hotels don't have refrigerators. it's a mess really.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement