LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Rifampin adventures ... hop on the bus if you want!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rifampin adventures ... hop on the bus if you want!
dan67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dan67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been having some Rifampin adventures.

4 months ago, I took it for about 3 weeks. It helped some, but I plateaued pretty fast. I know people think you can't plateau that fast and need to take it longer, but trust me, after 3-4 weeks on any drug I stop herxing and stop improving completely. I've even stayed on drugs much longer to prove this is the case.

Anyway, I'm taking Rifampin again now and it seems to be helping a lot more and actually doing totally different things to me. I'm also taking doxy this time, so maybe the combination is the difference? But I had been taking doxy for a week prior to rifampin this time around, and the doxy wasn't doing much.

Anyway, this makes me think we should rotate drugs -- take them for a while, stop them, take something else, then come back to them.

Curious about others' rifampin experiences.

Posts: 641 | From Nevada | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daphnesmom
Member # 22267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daphnesmom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Rifamin and it turned out the be the devil for me. I had to go off it.

However I do believe that rotating meds, and pairing them up in different combinations is the efficient way to stay ahead of the bugs.

Posts: 79 | From Northeast US | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on Rifampin for 3 months. I think I have plateaued somewhat. I tried it with Doxy and had an issue with it so Im going to try it with Mino. I hear that Rifampin works much better when combined with something else. I think rotating is a great idea, and I think that a good combination can work wonders.

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I felt great on rifampin and doxy for about a month, then my doc added zyth. Shortly after that I started herxing. I think it works much better when it is combined with other meds.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dan67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dan67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So people have taken rifampin with TWO other drugs, ie with doxy and zith at the same time? No one worries about liver complications or c-dif? thats a lot of antibiotics.

I was talking to a woman who got well on rifampin + flagyl for 9 months - that's it, just those two.

Posts: 641 | From Nevada | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cattail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cattail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifampin and Zith (5 months) didn't really effect me at all until I added Doxy did I herx like crazy, but then the Lyme took off full force and my Dr. took me off those three abxs and I crashed with Bart. I need to go back on something for Bart. I am thinking Rifampin, Doxy and Flagyl or Tindi.
Posts: 319 | From Mass | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmnn1385
Member # 31582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmnn1385     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on Rifampin for a few weeks and it drove me completely mental! How long does it usually take for antibiotics to leave your system?
Posts: 43 | From RI | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kramberry
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kramberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im currently on rifampin zith augmentin flagyl and bactrim.

Elevated my liver enzymes on my last lab result. And bactrim gave me rashes. Stopped bactrim

But still continued the others

--------------------
 -

Posts: 215 | From California | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, as long as your doc monitors your liver, it's fine. Do you have an LLMD? They know when to rotate your meds, and which ones work best for your co infections (as well as which doses work best).

Cattail, what was your herx like? I am still herxing (bad herx) but it is starting to get a little bit better everyday (now on day 10 of herx). My doc told me to stick with these meds, that it gets better.

Mmnn, I'm not sure how long, 72 hrs maybe? I do know that lemon water helps flush the system. It's good for people on abx.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cattail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cattail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My herx was extreme anxiety, very cold, shakey, bed bound fatigue,uncomfortable belly, no appetite. I felt like I was losing my mind. this lasted for weeks until I backed down on the Doxy dose from 200mg 2x a day to 200mg a day and then at 300mg every other day and then it started again and I went off. I wish I had never gone off like my LLMD said to, I should have stuck it out. I felt great when I backed down. It went from huge herx for a few weeks to feeling better than I did just 2 weeks before and then after going up, the horrible herxing started again, the worst ones I'd ever had were from this combo.

I did lemon water, epsom baths, etc. Nothing helped me much.

Posts: 319 | From Mass | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dan67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20344

I'm on Rifampin and Doxy now and thinking of adding zith and tini. I wonder if my system could handle all those meds? I'm feeling like rifampin and doxy are definitely hitting stuff.

I usually have a strange cycle with new meds where I herx for about 3 days, then feel much better for about 5 days, then feel crappy (more herxing? not sure).

Catgirl
Member # 31149

If rifampin and doxy are working, why not just stick with it until you plateau? I was on that but my doc added zyth because of another co infection attacking me.

--------------------

Catgirl
Member # 31149

I know this combo gives bad herxes.

I was very cold, EXHAUSTED, chills first few days until it turned it to major dizziness. We're talking, vertigo dizzy (10th day now, but not as dizzy as day one). Doc said it was just a bart flare, to stick with it.

I definitely feel better since I've been on the rifampin, doxy, and then the zyth later.

It's so hard for any of us to know what to do. I think we just have to follow our gut.

Cattail, maybe you could try it again (lower dose)? Or the rifampin, doxy , and flagyl or tindi might be better for you.

--------------------

Cattail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24357

Yes Catgirl, I am going to ask about this at my next appointment. Do you have any idea what Minocycline would be like in place of Doxy?
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Sorry, Cattail, wish I could help you with that one (I don't know mino).

--------------------

nonna05
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My goodness ,you all are talking about Herxing for a few day's... I've be in the house for 5 weeks.
minus two doc appts, 2 blood draws and .a CT.

Sounds like your doing something right [Eek!] [dizzy] Remember Rifampin messes with all other med, supps and hormones . So double check.. Found out the hard way.

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement