LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » No Gluten, Sugar, or Dairy? Don't starches turn into sugar?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: No Gluten, Sugar, or Dairy? Don't starches turn into sugar?
In19944
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for In19944     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on this no sugar, dairy, or gluten regimen. But I'm buying all low sugar gluten free items, but don't my gluten free rice chex get converted into sugar in my body? Don't want to be hurting myself and wasting money.
Posts: 184 | From taking pills | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spot on In1, that's what happens. We have to think low carb too. It's rough isn't it?
Posts: 845 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
In19944
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for In19944     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am extremely hypoglycemic. How do I remedy this with no carbs? UGH Thanks
Posts: 184 | From taking pills | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It's SIMPLE vs. COMPLEX

I do better with "Healthy WHOLE COMPLEX Carbs" -

"Low Carb" diets can be very dangerous for anyone with any kind of porphyria (and many with lyme do deal with variations of that).

With porphyria, the liver has trouble making all the enzymes needed to process proteins but also to process out waste. Carbohydrates (sugar from foods) and the bulk they provide are essential to help the liver process wastes.

Protein and fats, without carbs, cannot provide the bulk needed. Our brains, and all our cells, also need glucose from carbohydrate containing WHOLE foods.

Technically, "low carb" discounts the plant world. We NEED plants (carbohydrates) in our diet. And we need LOTS of them. Some doctors suggest 8 - 10 servings from the plant world each day, not just 5.

You can have a health "HIGH" carb diet if eating lots of vegetables and plants. But, for many "carb" is the bad word. Really, it's not a bad word or a bad thing.

"Healthy - WHOLE - Carbs" still focus mostly on whole vegetables and low sugar fruits as the majority of the carb content (and our body really does need carbs) . . .

still, (in moderation) seeds, grasses & legumes are good to help carry even the vegetables carbs longer into the day for us, for glucose stability and a sustained supply of nutrients.

(Non-Gluten)

Seeds: quinoa, millet, amaranth . . .

Grasses: Wild rice, black rice, brown rice . . .

Legumes: Lentils, black beans, other beans . . .

(missing a transition here)

But lyme can also predispose one to diabetes so we have to a very actively work to prevent that, as much as possible, with diet and gentle but consistent movement.

Refined flours are definitely higher on the glucose scale.

But some, like quinoa flour have a higher protein and fat ratio, so therefore better balance blood sugar. Black bean and lentil (or other legume) "flour" also has a better protein and fat content.

Rice chex do NOT have that kind of nutritional complexity and can spike and crash blood sugar, if eaten alone or even with any kind of milk.

They are too SIMPLE, where we need COMPLEX carbs.

Plus - what else do they put in that box? What kind of rice do they use? Any artificial ingredients added?

It is best to consume WHOLE foods, not processed. However, if in moderation, bean and grass / seed flours - or nut "flours" can be used. It's still best to eat along with WHOLE foods so they help keep even blood glucose levels.

Better than eating rice chex: Chinese Forbidden BLACK Rice. The nutritional composition is very good.

http://www.lotusfoods.com/Organic-Forbidden-Rice/p/LOT-10260&c=LotusFoods@Organic

BLACK Rice

5 grams of protein per serving. The nutrients are fabulous. Better purchase prices are at Vitacost.com and iHerb.com - some grocers carry it.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/10352/2

Quinoa, nutritional detail - 8 grams of protein, 4 of fat. Excellent.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eat tons of vegetables and you will get plenty of good carbs.

and yes, rice chex turns into sugar

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler is right.

I just put my black rice on the stove. It isn't just vegetables that you need. Whole grains and legumes promote good health.

My son has type one diabetes. All of the grains Keebler mentioned do not raise his blood sugar. Rice chex sends it through the roof.

Processed refined food breaks down very quickly and easily, spiking your blood like a bomb. Check the glycemic index .

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RubyJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, starch is just sugar molecules stuck together. The body breaks all starch into sugar pretty quickly.

Did anyone else do this experiment when they were in grade school?
Take a soda cracker, hold it in your mouth for a few minutes. It will start to taste sweet as the starch is broken down into sugar by your saliva.

I don't often disagree with Keebler, but low carb does not mean no vegetables. There are oodles of low starch veggies.
Basic low carb is animal protein and low starch veggies.
Gluten-free does not mean low carb or low starch. Some gluten-free stuff is filled with sugar.

I've been eating low carb, gluten-free for seven years. Long before I was diagnosed with Lyme, I found out that this way of eating is the best for me. For me, sugar/starch equals PAIN.

I do eat some dairy and it isn't a problem for me. I know that's not true for everyone. I don't drink milk or eat ready-made ice cream, but I do eat yogurt and some kinds of cheese. As long as dairy is cultured in some way, it doesn't bother me.

I just bought a great cookbook. "Paleo Comfort Foods: Homestyle Cooking for a Gluten-Free Kitchen". Good recipes with big pictures. I hate a cookbook with no pictures.

--------------------
"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art" - LaRochefoucauld

Lyme neuro symptoms for 20+ years.
Infected in Maryland.
Diagnosed with Lyme Jan 2011. (previously diagnosed with CFS, Fibro, peripheral neuropathy)

Posts: 261 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RubyJ, what specific kinds of cheese are you able to you eat? I fight yeast almost everyday and would love to know which ones, specifically are good and or bad.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RubyJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I eat yogurt, cultured sour cream, cultured cream cheese, and some hard cheeses like parmesan.

These don't cause me trouble that I've noticed, but everyone is different and they might not be best for you.

--------------------
"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art" - LaRochefoucauld

Lyme neuro symptoms for 20+ years.
Infected in Maryland.
Diagnosed with Lyme Jan 2011. (previously diagnosed with CFS, Fibro, peripheral neuropathy)

Posts: 261 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33557

Icon 11 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK ,I thought it was mentioned that if you eat some sweet or cracker,that it brought out some of the spirochetes.

Then you attack with some detox stuff , like burbur detox...Again did I totally miss -understand??
Or is it a parasite herb that should be taken? If so which one??/

Seems like trying 20 things at one time...One doc just said avoid to much milk,bread and sugar.

Other said nothing about food.

Unless I was on Mars again if he said something.

The meeting went very fast and I had a ton of history, but I don't remember food coming up.

. [Eek!] [dizzy] [lick] Nonna

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11802

Icon 14 posted      Profile for daisys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't noticed that milk products bother me, except that milk is too high in carbs for me. I heard that goat and sheep milk are easier to digest and so I try to get that kind of cheese.

I put kefir in my morning vitamin smoothie, and have found goat milk kefir in Fred Meyer.

To make a latte, I use unsweetened coconut milk, unsweetened almond milk, a little cream, and a whey protein mix that is sweetened with stevia and mixed in water (according to their directions). It foams up, tastes good, and doesn't add sugar to my day. I make it a decaf, and rarely indulge because I still get some caffiene, but it's good to have a treat now and then.

The anti-inflamatory diet also has mainly veggies with some meat.

I have found a site, netrition, that has a category of low carb, sugar free items that help me in cooking. They have selections of sweeteners that are actually healthy, and taste good. They're also expensive enough that I don't overdo it!

I arrived at the diet that is right for me, and recommended for those with Lyme disease, by going on the Atkins diet, years ago. I did it right, by staying on the strict beginning phase long enough to break my sugar addiction, and then adding one type of food each week. The first things added are more veggies, and then higher carb veggies, higher carb fruit, and then gluten. By then, my system was clear of gluten, and I had a horrible reaction to it, so no need for more testing.

Everybody was so hateful to that man, Atkins, and now I see different diets that just start where the Atkins diet would've taken them with the first strict phase, and then in a structured way that is helpful in finding which foods will work, or not. So, he isn't getting any credit for being the first "loud" advocate to switch the food pyramid around. Does this sound like a rant? I'm not upset, just mho.

nonna05, I love your strategy of eating sweets to lure out the bad guys! But I know it's just my sweet tooth trying a new approach. [Wink]

Posts: 552 | From New Mexico, USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement