LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Who here turns their fuses off at night?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who here turns their fuses off at night?
Tammy N.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What have your experiences been? Have you noticed any changes in your health?

I will be speaking with an electrician soon to upgrade our box and I'd like to talk about how we can turn most of the power off at night, with the exception of refrigerator, furnace/AC and hot water heater.

Our bedroom sits up high on it's own floor, so it should be easy to turn everything off on that upper level. Will do battery clocks and corded phones, etc.

How have you handled this in your home?

Thanks,
Tammy

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ktkdommer
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you! I wish I were there. I watched Klinghardt last week and now I feel guilty for not acting on his idea. I am trying to tackle mold evaluations.

This disease feels like it is a full time job!

Keep up the good work,

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never did. I have an electrical box in my bedroom by my bed and bought an emf blues triangle thing for electric boxes. I never turned it off at night.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No way... I'm way too lazy for that!! [Wink]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I have a circuit breaker and have turned it off at night during warmer seasons. I would never want to touch fuses, so that is good.

I've tried turning off the circuit breaker in my bedroom at night this time of year, but I wind up shivering and seizing from being too cold. So, I really do need the heat from my baseboard heater.

For some, they can warm up the bedroom before bed - or they may have a full house furnace. I know that baseboard heaters are not ideal but it's what I have (at least I get to avoid gas that way).

I do unplug everything in my bedroom, though, and don't have cell phones or other electronics in there. All my neighbors do, though, and their equipment is just feet from my body. It's a bit more tricky in apartments.

=================================

Avoid FROZEN PIPES - keep some heat on during the frigid nights, open up cabinets under the sink.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
SixGoofyKids,

Do you have a link for that "emf blues triangle" thing?

Is this it? And it is the Tri-Pak near the bottom of the page?

http://www.emfblues.com/EMF-Protection-EMF-Devices-EMF-Products-EMF-Harmonizer-Neutralize-%20Electromagnetic-Pollution-EMF-Protectors-EMF-Health-EMF-Safe.html

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garden
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure that we are going to get there. With small kids, we need nightlights for comfort and safety.

The kids have traditional clocks, not digital, and we keep our smart phones downstairs at night.

We are moving towards reducing/getting rid of our wireless stuff. I do have some items from EMF blues for droids, etc.

The carpet removal is a huge project, and perhaps not coincidentally, my sensitive child is REALLY reacting to something. Either the Albenza broke up some parasites harboring some nastiness, or the partial carpet removal is stirring up a major trigger for her. I'm taking her in for ART this week to figure out what the next step is.

The bottom line for me is that the EMF/mold project is going to take many months, and unfortunately, it's not something I can do in a weekend and then check off, if that makes sense.

I hope you are able to figure out a way to reduce your exposure at night. Please let us know how it works. Sometimes I think the logistics of something can be initimidating, and if one person figures it out and shares, it can help so many people.

Thank you for continuing to share!

--------------------
Garden

"Fibromylagia" for 8+ years
Pos IgeneX WB per both Igenex and CDC
Pos Neuroscience MyLymeImmuneID
Started tx for Lyme in March 2011

Posts: 245 | From East Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've never really thought about this aspect. we have a clock radio on the nightstand. our electric toothbrushes are in the bathroom right off our bedroom.

our security system box is in the hallway which is right next to our bedroom. we can see the light all night long.

course the clock on the stove, the tv in the living room, microwave in the kitchen, all stay on.
oh and he leaves our porchlight on all night long.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keebler:
-
SixGoofyKids,

Do you have a link for that "emf blues triangle" thing?

Is this it? And it is the Tri-Pak near the bottom of the page?

http://www.emfblues.com/EMF-Protection-EMF-Devices-EMF-Products-EMF-Harmonizer-Neutralize-%20Electromagnetic-Pollution-EMF-Protectors-EMF-Health-EMF-Safe.html

-

Yes, it's the tri-pack.

When they installed Smart Meters on all my neighbor's houses, I bought the other tri-pack for that and the clearfield plate because we were really bothered by the meters (even my never-had-lyme family members were).

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one has said if they feel better when doing this.

Am I the only one that thinks this has gone a bit too far? Like the girl that need a private jet to get her to her Dr. Appointment (about $30,000). She also was not allowed to be near any microwave ovens.

Sorry - If I were that sick I would buy 3 seats in a commercial jet and take my chances. I still don't understand why she needed a private jet.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, in an apartment building, even if we turned off everything (but the fridge), the neighbors upstairs, downstairs, next door, etc. won't be doing that.

And the same goes for turning off wi-fi. We're surrounded by wi-fi anyway. So are most people, unless they live in the country.

So I haven't gone there at this point.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdp710
Member # 34017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jdp710     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use to do this 10 years ago for 1 year before I was VERY ill and noticed it was very helpful. All fuses were turned off but the kitchen.

It works! It was recommended way back then for EMF sensitivity. You'll notice during a blackout that you'll feel a lot better after a couple hours. Sorta like being in the wilderness. Turning off all the fuses feels very close to that.

It's definitely helpful and would recommend... especially for those sensitive to mold. Unfortunately, I'm unable to now but if I could I would go back to it.

By the way, I was highly sensitive to mold and had very bad sinus issues due to mold.

[ 11-28-2011, 03:36 AM: Message edited by: jdp710 ]

Posts: 52 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a $2.00 flashlight when I was in a condition where it helped me to have no exposure to EMF at least for the night hours. The EMF is especially bad if you remain in one location - in bed for several hours. That is when it hits us most. I don't understand why people don't seem to understand the importance of this. Dr. K. gets especially upset when he asks the father of the autistic child to do that and the father balks - just like some people do here. The choice is ours.

It definitely contributed to my getting well.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We use the earthing wrist bands at night and when on the computer. I have a spot in my gumline that is like a barometer for EMFs.

If I talk on the cell phone, it swells. If I forget the wrist band, it swells.

If I forget to turn off the power cord by my bed at night, it swells.

I also feel more tired and achy in the am if I don't use it, and I am in remission.

So, even though we are too lazy to turn off the breakers, there is definately a connection between the EMFs and how we feel at our house.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During Dr. K's last phone lecture, he was asked what are the most important things ill people can start doing for themselves to help start getting well (whether they live near a good doc or didn't have access to good healthcare). The top answers he repeated throughout the talk were to clean the home of EMF and mold issues... and turn the fuses/circuits off at night. He said it many times.

I know it's not easy, but because of all of his international research, clinical experience and expertise, the point was made with me. And to me, it seems like little downside (minor inconveniences) but certainly worth a try. Can only help.

We already have no microwave or wireless computer/cable in our house. We never did. And we turn cell phones off at night. We did have cordless house phones, but they will be tossed and replaced with good old-fashioned corded phones.

For some people, maybe the idea is to start with the easy things, and take it one step at a time... (battery operated clocks and nightlights, turn off all wireless and UNPLUG the items, etc.).

I'm still stuck on my family room floor which sits on a slab. I may still be doing radiant heat for the floor because there really doesn't seem to be any other workable option ( this is our main living area). It's not in a basement and this system will not be used to heat the room. It's only to warm the floor so it is not freezing underfoot. I plan to use it as little as possible on the coldest of days, and definitely will turn off at night.

All you can do is your best. And I think with all of the other reductions I will be having everywhere else, plus very little on at night, I think this is the best I can do.

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick shooter
Member # 34096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have been using Grahm-Stetzer filters on the AC lines in our house. These just plug into an ac outlet and smooth out the "dirty electricity" that is often found on the house wiring. I measured the lines before and after I installed the filters with the meter that they sell and it does make a difference.

We have about a dozen filters on several of the "dirtiest" circuits in our house, concentrating especially on our bedroom and the "electronics room" where computer, TV, recorders, etc. reside. These filters reduce the EMFs radiating from the house wiring which run through the walls, but they wouldn't effect the EMFs broadcast by wireless devices.

The filters and meter can be purchased directly from the manufacturer at: http://www.stetzerelectric.com/

or they are a little cheaper from this reseller: http://www.stetzerizer-us.com/?AffId=3

Google will give you other sites and information on these too with these search words "graham stetzer filters".

TS

Posts: 4 | From The High Plains of Wyoming | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeAware
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeAware     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tammy, it sounds like we are going through very similar processes right now. It is very encouraging to see you doing this, as sometimes it feels like an uphill climb, without a lot of other people working on this.

I happened to see Dr. K a few months ago and he was very clear that it is essential for me to work on lowering exposure to EMFs. I had always known that, but he really made it quite clear.

Particularly since I have seizures and a lot of other neurological things happening, EMF help is huge.

We've been slowly working on this since then, but honestly every new step takes time here on the home front. However, just before I read your post I had been setting up some of our new equipment, so we're on our way.

We too have never had microwaves and always turn off any cellphones at night. We also never had wireless, so that helps.

The 3 main points he made to us were: No wireless technology, No cordless phones, Fuses turned off at night in the bedroom.

It's necessary for us to have a digital alarm clock in the bedroom, so we now have a battery operated one that we're working on setting up (things move slowly around here [Wink] .

We actually bought an EMF reader and the amount of EMFs our old alarm clock emits is huge -- even more than some of our larger appliances. So, that has to go obviously.

Also have bought some corded phones and working on making the switch.

It's important to us to have caller ID, since it's hard for me to talk on the phone and need to only answer essential calls. We didn't like the way most corded phones use caller ID, so we're trying out a separate unit -- which I just plugged in. We'll see how it goes.

And, happily we found that there is already a switch at the circuit box that will turn off just our bedroom and the adjacent room (which has no electronics anyway), so hopefully that will be an easy transition once we do that (hopefully very soon).

Also working on ways to lower EMF exposure through my laptop, which I use a lot.

So, yes, I'm very much in process with this as well and just on the cusp of making the switch. I'll be very interested to hear how you do with the change, and if you feel open to sharing I'm certainly interested in what you are doing.

I'm hopeful that this will make a big difference, and do strongly feel that it's important. Best wishes!

Posts: 232 | From Oregon | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

LymeAware - good for your for taking these steps! It's nice to share with each other on this.

We will be doing several improvements in our home before we move back in (probably about 2 months). But I will plan to stay on top of this thread. And if I forget, please reach out to me.

Best to you.

Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Turning off the circuit breaker is pretty easy. One of the EASIEST things to do for your treatment.

It is the fixed habit in our minds that think this is difficult. It's not.

I started doing that when I was very sick with lyme disease. Now I'm lyme free for almost 3 years, and guess what? I still turn off the circuit breaker because the quality of sleep is better.

Today, I have no doubt about that.

I live in the country side, almost no neighbors. I keep the lower floors on, the upper floors (bedrooms off).

I use small candles that last 4 hours on the corridor when my daughter goes to bed so that she has bits of light to move around in case she wants to use the toilet.

After that, it is all dark.

Once kids learn to use the torches, they LOVE to be in darkness!! Just keep a torch under their bed, near a leg, so that they can easily find it. My daughter loves when she HAS to use the torch!!

We use also 2 euro torches to move around, no problem.

The only problem is when we have guests (to explain the whole story takes some time...) And they do think I am crazy.

Only grounding yourself won't help enough. What helps most is cutting EMRs in the bedroom.

I wrapped all my walls on alu foil (looks terrible, but that's the fastest solution). And I just change it once a year (no mold on it then). Then I grounded the alu foil so that they don't get charged. Cheap and efficient against some of the cell phone towers. The only problem is aesthetic.

There are other more nicer solutions like the silver net, but more expensive and you got to clean it against dust and mold.

Despite the alu foil against outside cell phone towers, I still have troubles to sleep deep without cutting the circuit breaker of the bedrooms.

So yes, definitively something to consider. Very easy to do.

Just the first time, you got to plan a bit, each person has to have a torch, that's all.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Selma,

You are right; we should be hitting the breaker. I am just being lazy. Thanks.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just encouraging you guys!!

It takes 1 hour or 2 maximum to pack your bedroom walls with alu foil, but you are protected 365 days a year, 24h /24hs at LEAST against cell phone towers.

Then it takes about 30 seconds a day to place all torches to everyone in the right place and cut the circuit breaker, and still light the candle in the corridor by the time kids go to bed.

For neurolyme sufferers, might take 1-2 minutes, but no more!!

then you are protected partially against your house EMR.

Getting off the computer 4 hours before bed, avoiding to use the cordless phones or wifis during the day also helps.

It is for me clear, that when I get more than an hour of computer EMR, my body gets cold!

Even without lyme.

A Korea natural food practioner told me, that 2 hours on a computer makes the kidney of his patients shrink by 2. What he meant, was that the power of the kidneys are shrinked due to computer EMRs. He can feel them on measuring their pulses.

This guy is quite famous in Korea, one of the best naturopathic doctor there!

Once I came back to Europe, I read dr. K. says the same: using the computer or getting too much EMRs affects the KIDNEY function!!!

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

I think the EMFs affect just about everything; it's just that most people, the general public, aren't aware of it yet.

It will probably be years before we see the full extent of it.

--------------------

lymenotlite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymenotlite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know whether a reader such as an iPad or Kindle is bad for you? Seems like it wouldn't be nearly as bad as a laptop.
Posts: 705 | From WA state | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

It's still wireless. I don't have one. I think the less wireless the better.

linky - I agree.... and remember, smoking didn't cause cancer, right?

lymenotlite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymenotlite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like the lack of ethernet ability is a complaint against the iPad. Maybe the iPad3 will have that. It will be coming out before long.

I've read that not all cordless phones transmit all the time. Does anyone know how to find out whether mine does or not? Wouldn't that lessen the emf issue?

Posts: 705 | From WA state | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the older ones are better and i read in a mercola or klinghhardt artical how to tell wheic are better but i dont know if i can find the artical again...maybe google their names and specific terms--cordless phone or older cordless phone

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0ldman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 0ldman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder... build a faraday cage out of chicken wire, some kind of fencing.

Lymenotlite, iPad or Kindle are essentially the same wireless tech as a PC. You will probably get more EMF from the board in the system than the wifi unless you are actively using the Internet. That being said, Kindle and iPad use less power, so they should put off less EMF in general.

Your cordless, PC, cell phone, etc, should not be transmitting unless in use. There is a regular bit of chatter just to keep the connection alive so you can receive a call, get on the Internet without a full on wireless reconnection, but we're talking something on the order of 1000x less powerful than when you are actually using the device.

The type of radiation from the devices also depends on what type, frequency, etc. Laptops, Kindle, etc, generally use 2.4GHz, same frequency as a microwave. This frequency is absorbed by water, it won't get very far into your tissue before it stops.

Cell phones use around 850MHz, this will pass all the way through you, some will be absorbed, some will pass through. Cordless phones can use 900MHz, 1.9GHz, 2.4GHz, 5.8GHz, few others that I'm sure I've overlooked. 5GHz band will essentially bounce off, it can't get far into your body.

The EMF from a refrigerator compressor, fan motor, etc, will be much higher than the wireless card in a laptop, just on different frequencies.

--------------------
Ticks suck.

Posts: 140 | From Alabama | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement