LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Earthing update... How are you all doing?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Earthing update... How are you all doing?
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know there was a big, long thread about this. I was just wondering how the people doing this were.

I'm starting to get into the idea of treating EMFs. I was studying the shielding info on the web but it seems out of range, expensive, & not all that effective. $800 quasi-faraday cages, anyone??? Who even knows how effective they are?

Anyway, I saw some videos on Youtube & I was sold. I'm going to do the cheapo version... (silver sock & alligator clip grounded wire - in case anyone has seen the video by zenfood1) I was just wondering what people's experiences were.

I've been dowsing & EMFs seem to be a big factor for me.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We do sleep on the grounding sheet... haven't really noticed much of a difference. I will be doing more with reducing EMFs and wireless when we move back into our home.... in about 4-6 weeks. We just got battery operated alarm clocks. Plan to toss all of our cordless phones in the house and only use corded, etc. Lots of little things like this add up.

Regarding the faraday cages - Dr. Klinghardt says not to sleep under them unless you also turn off your circuit breaker at night. He said it can actually attract and trap the EMFs under the cage. The best thing to do is to turn of as many circuit breakers at night as you can.

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Sparkle, I didn't buy the expensive silver nets either... I wonder how to wash this stuff if they get dust and moldy...

I read a lot about shielding electrosmog some time ago. Some sites in French had good information, they did their own experiments and guess what? What best shield most harmfull frequencies is simply the emergency blanket!!

I mean, do you know the silver and golden blankets used to cover patients to avoid them to get hypothermia?

It seems these are the best materials that shield against most frequencies! The cost is minimal. But not very aesthetical, I mean, to have your bedroom floor, ceiling and walls covered by them... [Roll Eyes]

But temporarily, it is a good solution, until you figure out a nicer solution. It will be probably the best solution to shield than the most expensive stuff, you only can't invite guests to see your bedroom!! [Eek!]

Already the alu foil amazes people....

--------
I use alufoil for the moment, you can hide them under decorative paper and change it once a year to avoid mold.

I think alu foil is also good, but not as good as the blankets (if my memory is good). I get deep sleep with it, so for me it's good enough. All 4 walls are covered, at the height of the bed. Cel phone antennas emit a very parallel radiation and it is horizontal, so you don't need to cover up to the top of the wall.

the problem are neighbors though, if you have them, you got anyway to cover all around because of their home phone, wifis, cel phone, etc...

Then comes the wiring of the house. It does create electrosmog, at least in my house (old farmhouse, with old electric installations). Only turning off the circuit breaker will do the job of cutting these... I sleep much deeper with everyhing off.

Then I still wired my sheets with copper and attached it to the earth...

I do sleep deeper with all these stuff.

Another thing that helps is to get out of the computer. Just touching a mouse with a wire and the keyboard make me feel chilly (it is my first symptom of electrosmog exposure).

But so far, the best would be just to sleep in a cave, I suppose, but not moldy, and with your body literally touching the ground. All these devices to conect you to the ground (like the one you said from zenfood..) helps but it feels like it is only about 10% of the effect of what real grounding brings.... (feet on wet grass!!!)

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read various things about aluminum foil & the heat blankets. I was considering that. I had a heat blanket on my old computer but it may have lead to it's demise... It was pretty old anyway.

I think it needs more study. Some people feel that the silver netting is a joke. Just expensive mosquito netting... Currents & electrosmog can move in many ways so you may not really be getting rid of it - just altering it's course.

The grounding seemed to make sense but I'll see. Just watch out for the ticks on that wet grass! Too cold for that here this time of year.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

FYI -

http://www.emfcenter.com/emffaqs.htm

Each kind of EMF requires different kinds of shield materials and installation procedures. Magnetic fields are shielded with special alloys such as MuMetal�. (Please note that magnetic shielding requires some professional guidance, because improper placement can actually increase the fields.)

Electric fields are easier to shield, but again the shields must be properly installed, or they can also raise the exposures rather than lower them. Similarly, RF/microwaves can be shielded with special materials. We provide both the materials and the technical guidance needed to shield all types of EMFs.

In some cases, electric fields and RF can be shielded with common materials that are readily available to save costs.

sparkle7
Member # 10397

More -

http://www.emfcenter.com/emffaqs.htm

B1. What are Electromagnetic Fields (EMFs)?

Electromagnetic fields (EMFs) are a type of low-frequency electromagnetic radiation emitted from virtually everything electrical and electronic in our modern world � power lines, transformers, electrical panels, building wiring, computers, lights, clocks, appliances, televisions, hairdryers, cell phones, cordless phones, microwave ovens, Wi-Fi, wireless routers and other devices, TV/radio/cell towers, etc.

In general, the term "EMF" is used to refer to the wide range electromagnetic frequencies slower than visible light, called "non-ionizing" radiation. (In contrast, the frequencies faster than visible light including x-rays and nuclear radiations, are much more dangerous and are called "ionizing" radiation.)

---

B12. Are there different kinds of EMFs?

Yes, there are three basic kinds of EMF.

Magnetic fields are the EMF component most often linked to serious health effects in the scientific research literature (e.g., between power lines and childhood leukemia). They are emitted from power lines, building wiring, lights, appliances, and virtually everything that runs on regular electricity.

Electric fields make up the other half of the "electro"magnetic fields emitted from power lines, wiring, lights and appliances. They are also related to certain biological effects, and anecdotally, electric fields are often involved when people knowingly feel discomfort or �symptoms� from electrical sources.

Finally, Radio frequency or �RF� includes the higher frequency fields and microwaves emitted by cell towers and cell phones, cordless phones, TV/radio broadcast towers, Wi-Fi and other wireless computer devices, microwave ovens, and various electronics. (The electric and magnetic parts of RF fields are not separated, so you only need one meter to detect the RF field.)

B13. How are the different kinds of EMFs measured?

Each of the three kinds of EMFs requires a different type of test meter. Magnetic fields are usually measured in units called milligauss (mG) with special instruments called "gaussmeters."

Electric fields are detected by either measuring the volts (V) on a person's skin with a "body voltage tester" or the volts per meter (V/M) with a standard "electric field tester."

RF/microwave fields require a special test meter that can detect a wide range of RF frequencies, especially the digital microwaves, in units of microwatts per centimeter squared (μW/cm�).

---

http://www.emfcenter.com/metrsale.htm

C. If you are experiencing symptoms of "electromagnetic sensitivity" or serious health issues like cancer, chronic fatigue, chemical sensitivity, Lyme disease and immune disorders � I strongly recommend that you test for all three kinds of EMF, especially the electric fields, and with a Body Voltage Meter...

Magnetic fields: Alpha UHS (measures ELF and VLF fields, high accuracy), or TriField 100XE (less accurate but picks up "dirty" fields which seem to be more problematic for sensitive individuals, also measures ELF and VLF).

Electric fields: Due to anecdotal evidence from sensitive clients, I strongly recommend testing the electric fields with a Body Voltage Meter (most useful and sensitive test method).

RF/microwaves: TES 92 or Tes 593 (both meters detect digital microwaves well, which "anecdotally" are more troublesome for sensitive individuals).

sparkle7
Member # 10397

PS - Not even mentioning Fukishima...
Garden
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've been too slammed with regular life to take much action on EMF's. (still making progress on carpet removal, though).

Not that I want a Wii anyway, but the knowledge of EMF issues has helped us stay strong. Santa will NOT be bringing a Wii this year, no matter how addicting my daughter finds Just Dance to be. (actually, that's always a big flag for us - she can get fixated/addicted to electronics like that - lately she's been playing with Lego's - MUCH, much better!!)

--------------------
Garden

"Fibromylagia" for 8+ years
Pos IgeneX WB per both Igenex and CDC
Pos Neuroscience MyLymeImmuneID
Started tx for Lyme in March 2011

Posts: 245 | From East Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Yes, I'm going to try the grounding techniques. I'll see if it helps. I still have wireless internet but I'm going to try to pull out the plug when I go to bed. You probably don't want to go backwards & forget about all the benefits of technology.
Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know if your wireless router is about 30 ft away from bed is it ok? Are they EMFs at least weaker if they're further away?

Since you're talking about neighbors EMFs, I'm guessing it's not.

My phone is plugged in on the wall on the otherside of my bed, not that far from my head. No other jack in house except for DSL. I'd unplug for the night, but it's inside of a cabinet and hard to get to.

Since I've put my laptop in another room 3 rooms away instead of by my bed, I think I'm sleeping better.

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

I don't know but there are ways you can find the currents. There are meters you can buy or rent or you could try dowsing. I should really try the dowsing but I haven't tried using the L rods - which are probably best for this purpose. I usually use a bobber or pendulum.

My apartment is above a store. There are big refrigerators all underneath my floor. I'm sure that's not good. Plus, there's a refrigerator in the kitchen next to my room.

It's hard to get away from the EMFs in an urban location. There are street lights & cables all over. Plus, there are huge transmitter towers on a hill near by.

I live very close to Thomas Edison's former lab location. I feel like I'm in the belly of the beast...

Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grounding-only is not enough (unless you are barefoot on wet grass, as I mentioned).

I mean, if the purpose is to have a deeper and regenerating sleep, grounding only, while surrounded by too many EMRs won't be of much use, in my experience.

I always ground my bed sheets and my daughters'. But if there are too many cell phone antennas around, no way to get a good sleep for months....

We keep moving around, so I think I got some experience with this lately (I moved 4 times in the last 3 years...).

Sleeping in a Faraday cage is also not very good, it seems. We need some of the natural radiation.

Yes, you are right, shielding is frequency-aimed (different shields for different frequencies).

I usually aim at cell phone antennas, because in my case, that is what solves the biggest problem (insomnia).

I can't shield from all satelites, radio signals, tv signals, GPS signals, whatever...

There are too many (we are in a sea of EMRs), and things are only getting worse.

As for the mosquito net (of metal), I 've read in German and French sites (who did their own tests), and it does work well for certain frequencies (it does not have to be of silver, it can be of any metal, as far as I remember).

In Corea, I never shielded the part of the window that got a metalic mosquito net (in built), and we could anyway sleep well.

Any part of the wall that was left open caused us problem (daughter and I ).

I still think my problem is not solved totally (I can tell it by comparison, when I am sleeping barefoot on the ground, the quality I get from relaxation is amazing).

Anyway, if you ground yourself, please let us know how you feel!

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

I just got my ground wire yesterday. I'll let you know in a week. I think it made a difference but it's too soon to tell. Could just be the placebo effect.

I got the Plug to Gator thing...

http://www.lessemf.com/ground.html

I also got silver conductive socks & I put the alligator clip in the socks.

Yes - I have read that there are some frequencies that are beneficial - so, you don't want to block everything out. I'll try to find the website where I read this. It was a really interesting website created by an engineer for a big European phone company.

Too cold here for bare feet on wet grass! I used to lay on the ground alot on my blanket in the park. After they told me I had Lyme - I stopped doing it. I don't think I really had Lyme - in the big picture. So, maybe laying on my blanket in the park was a good thing...? Just watch out for the ticks!

AlternativePath
Member # 31929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlternativePath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to pull this thread up and ask about grounding a Macbook Pro laptop? I didn't have any problems with my old laptop but this one seems to be frying my brain with EMFs.

Since I'm on it 8 hours a day working and such, I could really use some advice for relief.

Anyone try to "ground" their computer with a grounding mat from earthing.com? I'll try pretty much anything that anyone reports success with at this point.

Posts: 44 | From US | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have the wireless capability turned off? What about the old one, did you have wireless turned off for the other one?
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daystar1952     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used my tri-field meter at my computor and found that the mouse gives off a small amount of emf. I'm on the computor alot and my right hand which uses the mouse, has a trigger finger and all the fingers in that hand are stiff and hard to bend in the morning while the left hand feels totally normal. Anyone else have that experience or any problems from a mouse?
Posts: 1176 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read the title of your post as " EarthLING update - how are you all doing?"

I thought you were in outer space somewhere checking back with us earhlings here. I am fine, sort of.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlternativePath
Member # 31929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlternativePath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MichaelTampa, no, the wireless capability is not turned off. We have WiFi for internet. The wireless wasn't turned off on my other laptop either.

I know the wifi in the house bothers me in general, but it's the worst when I'm using the MacBook Pro. It wasn't as bad with my old laptop. Hopefully I'll be able to find a shield/pendant/solution that works.

Any suggestions would be great.

Posts: 44 | From US | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Try the aligator clip thing from LessEMF (above). It's pretty much the same as the grounding mat but alot cheaper. If that helps, you may want to go for the more expensive option.

There's a video on YouTube with a guy - I think he calls himself "zenfood". He measures using the grounding wire & the EMFs in his body go way down if he's in contact with the wire. It's pretty much the same as the grounding mat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYT3qaNIUPs&feature=BFa&list=UUww68Y2OZPz8ZqaZPwFAA7g&lf=plcp

I'm going through a bunch of stuff so I'm not sure if it helped me. I was sleeping on a mattress on the floor above a refrigeration unit! I decided to move into another room...

The new room doesn't have a grounded outlet - so, I have to get everything in order... I think it does make a difference to try to get the EMFs down.

E-A-R-T-H to nefferdun... LOL

0ldman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 0ldman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spending 8 hours a day on a computer will make you feel horrible anyway. That's been my day to day for the past 14 years.

I bet that your posture and repetitive movements are causing more of the problem. If you have a fluorescent bulb in the LCD rather than LED's, this can cause headaches in normal folk, even worse for us Lyme people.

I keep a hand exerciser handy and try to get up every now and then, stretch, breathe a bit.

I still have issues with anyone blaming WIFI for their problems that owns a microwave and hasn't dropped dead. Consumer grade WIFI puts out about 19dBm, under 100mw total transmitted power. One tenth of a Watt. A microwave, even the cheap ones, are 900Watts. I've seen good ones that are 1500Watts. Comparing the most powerful consumer wireless router and the weakest microwave, the microwave is 9000 times more powerful.

--------------------
Ticks suck.

Posts: 140 | From Alabama | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement