LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » HELP....Bactrim

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP....Bactrim
nonna05
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33557

Icon 8 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been asked to add Bactrim...
. I Have been told allergic to Sulfa since 5 ..... Asked what happens,,,I don't know just always ,my Mom said it ,so did I.......

It's been 50 years... He wants me to try..

I'm not sure if it's helped a lot of people get over a hump...

I don't seem to be moving forward , well a little at snails pace.

So that's why.. I was to try it.

Then I, JUST, remembered I had a bladder infection several years ago..they usually use Bactrim , but he gave me a 6 month script for the other ingredient that starts with T.. In Bactrim
..It took them 4 months to find the infection. Didn't show up on labs, x-ray and scan. Finally a scope found it. FYI for others who might have issues. Bad Infection. Sound familiar????/

Went on trip and within 4 days on that med I had horrible leg pain ,more tired and several other things.

So stopped and got some, Amox then Rifampin while in Rep. of Georgia.

I googled it , when there and found chat line for
or people who had been on it..Not so great stories. ( other ingredient in Bactrim)

Now what??? Does it work really well with this illness???? Co-infections?????

Can I test some how????

Want to get better.....Oh! after I was on Rifampin for a couple months and they stopped me and stared again a few months later ,I had reaction.... So they said allergic, I didn't think so.....

RIFAMPIN:
Months later I tried the 150 orange tab and have taken it several times ,without issues. The 300 is always red and only 2 of the 150 are orange.

Anybody have some ideas,Bactrim, or feed back how they did on this to kill the Spirochetes. babs or bart????????????????????/

THANK YOU [dizzy] Nonna

Sorry to ramble, I want better, I want to comply, but I don't need extra problems....THANX

[ 01-06-2012, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: nonna05 ]

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor said it kills babs and bart.

I got rid of babs by taking Bactrim DS and artemesinin. Took it for 11 months (5 months past symptom-free point). It worked for me.

Most people find it easy to take. It causes no problems.

But, the one problem it CAN cause is serious--Stevens-Johnson syndrome. You have to stop right away if you get this reaction.

You can read about it here:

http://www.lymebook.com/antibiotic-treatment-for-babesia-bartonella-ehrlichia-co-infections

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was the ingredient you took trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (trimeth sulfa)?

If so, that is the same as Bactrim or Septra.

I had a reaction to Bactrim DS. After 3 weeks I developed a fever, chills, fatigue and loss of appetite.

Then my liver and pancreatic enzymes became extremely elevated and I became jaundiced.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TF what is Steven Johnson???

48 , did you stop or ride it out???? was it a Herx? Was there something to take to protect liver and pancreas?? Was that the reason for it?

My doc said you mostly have to watch out for eyes.

Thank for your time...
Any other siggestions to get moving??

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kramberry
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kramberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had rashes all over my body after 1 week of bactrim doc told me to stop.

Is it possible its a bart die off? She said it could be too but not risking steven j syndrome too

--------------------
 -

Posts: 215 | From California | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nonna, the website I gave you explains Stevens-Johnson syndrome. It gives you the signs to look out for.

Here it is again:

http://www.lymebook.com/antibiotic-treatment-for-babesia-bartonella-ehrlichia-co-infections

Here is part of what it says:

"This serious reaction is usually characterized by fever, flu-like symptoms, mouth sores, and often a skin rash. My patients are instructed to stop Bactrim immediately if any fever or mouth and/or skin sores occur. The condition usually clears in the next 24 to 72 hours. However, if it worsens, the patient needs to seek emergency care."

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

If you turn yellow ("jaundiced" as Dekrator said) you always have to stop whatever med has made you turn yellow. You may have to stop ALL meds.

If your enzymes get too elevated, you must stop meds.

There is no choice about it. But, this can happen with many meds, not just Bactrim.

I don't know why your doc said that you have to watch out for the eyes with Bactrim. I never heard of it causing any eye problems.

Read everything the website link says about taking Bactrim and you will see about needing regular enzyme tests, etc. while on Bactrim.

You won't see anything about eyes.

nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much!!!!! Any body else good/bad Bactrim???
nonna05
Member # 33557

yes it was Trimethoprim.....still scarred but so want to be better.
nonna05
Member # 33557

yes it was Trimethoprim.....still scarred but so want to be better.
hopeandfaith
Member # 19884

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeandfaith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bactrim is one of my favorite meds. It gives me energy and has been very effective in treating my babs and bart. The one drawback for me is it sometimes makes me feel "wired" especially at night before I go to sleep. I have to take benzos just to be able to get good sleep. That's definitely a tradeoff but I have to say I function so much better on Bactrim.

Brain fog and sharpness has improved. Night sweats better and have increased energy.

--------------------
Shelly

Posts: 73 | From New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Thanks for the input......anybody else? I really need to be careful
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nonna,

I had to stop all meds and supps for 3 months.

It took a long time for my enzymes to return to normal.

My LLMD said it is hard to tell..could have been toxins from die off causing problem with liver, or could just have been the sulfa drug itself.

I personally think it was a reaction to a sulfa drug. My daughter is allergic to them.

Milk thistle is good for liver detox.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bactrim landed me in the hospital for 4 days. I'm allergic to Sulfa. I'd be VERY careful.

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightfoot
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! After reading some of these posts, I feel very very fortunate! I have been taking Bactrim for 20 months and I'm not done with it yet.

It is doing wonders for the bart. I stopped for a month and the symptoms came back with a vengeance.

Good luck!

--------------------
Healing Smiles.....lightfoot [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 7228 | From CO | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nonna, or anyone else, do you know what problems it can cause with the eyes?

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

I thought Plaquinel was the onethat causes eye problems
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read to start with an extremely low dose and even if you have had a reaction to sulfa drugs before you might be able to desensitize yourself to it. I started with 1/8 tablet once a day - then 1/8 two times a day - then 1/4 etc.

I took it for about a year and it was very helpful with bart. Then I couldn't tolerate it any more. That always happens to me with drugs - just so much my body can stand before I need to switch to something else.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doglover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doglover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took it with Biaxin for about eight months. The best two drugs I've been on so far. I improved so much I could almost see my progressing enough to get out of my wheelchair!! But I plateaued and have been at a stand still sense. Now being tested for mercury poisoning.

I'm off all antibiotics now. Let's see what happens next.

--------------------
diagnosed with MS, 1988-Diagnosed with Lyme Disease 2009. Also babesia and bartonella.
Currently not on antibiotics. Taking Metalloclear for high lead and mercury since October 2012. Rifing since June 2012

Posts: 148 | From usa NH | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement