LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Kidney Function--Creatinine & eGBR

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kidney Function--Creatinine & eGBR
GlitchyMomma
Member # 35826

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GlitchyMomma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I decided to break this topic out on its own in order to get feedback. Right before injecting the contrast dye into me, the nurse was asking questions about allergies and whether I was in renal failure or not.

I decided to mention that my doc wanted to run more tests on my kidneys because my creatinine was high. The nurse stopped and asked when my labs were completed.

Labs were done on Dec 21, so she said they needed to take a look at the numbers. Doc faxed them over, and they decided I could not do contrast today.

Basically, since my kidneys are apparently having trouble filtering, the risk would be renal failure. The technician said he didn't know why my creatinine would be so high, and I just mumbled Lyme, even though I'm just guessing (after being on these boards 2 weeks now).

The radiologist said he should be okay reading the scans without the contrast. Anyone else have kidney issues? eGBR or creatinine?

Do you think my levels will normalize at some point with Lyme treatment?

GlitchyMomma

--------------------
GlitchyMomma
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis dx July 2003
Cholecystectomy March 2010
Vit D3 Deficiency 2011
Progesterone Deficiency 2011
Adrenal Fatigue September 2011
Labcorp IgG 23 Positive, IgM 39 Positive, IgM 41 positive January 2012

Posts: 31 | From Louisiana | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good thing they asked you about your kidney function!!! Whew!!

I don't have any information, but will move this to Medical Questions where you will get more help.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kerryblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kerryblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry also having kidney & UTI problems with nothing working so far. I do hope you do not go into renal failure that would be terrible.
Keep chin up & keep up with this very important.
I have had 2 family members who had kidney removed & 1 was fine, other died of infections. Sure that is not you. Hugggssss, know you need.
Write me if you need I am with you & sorry having such problems.

Posts: 746 | From Clearwater/fl/Pinellas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Glad you did not have the dye, then. It has been known to cause kidney trouble anyway and I would not want to risk that.

Also remember that Ibuprofen can also cause kidney damage, even at normal dose. I just did some reading about this recently. Links below.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Ibuprofen constricts blood flow. This can pose problems.

Here's a post from a recent thread (so if some of the comments don't make sense, they may be from the original poster's questions).

------------------

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/analgesicnephropathy/

National Kidney & Urulogic Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NKUDIC)

Analgesic Nephropathy (Painkillers and the Kidneys)

Excerpts:

. . . Analgesic use has been associated with two different forms of kidney damage: acute renal failure and a type of chronic kidney disease called analgesic nephropathy. . . .

. . . Some patient case reports have attributed incidents of sudden-onset acute kidney failure to the use of over-the-counter painkillers, including aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen sodium. . . .

. . . A second form of kidney damage, called analgesic nephropathy, can result from taking painkillers every day for several years. . . . .

. . . Ibuprofen may also increase the risk of chronic kidney damage, . . .

================================================

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/04/16/us/kidney-peril-found-in-the-pain-reliever-ibuprofen.html

Kidney Peril Found in the Pain Reliever Ibuprofen

(AP) April 16, 1990 � The New York Times

Excerpts:

The popular pain reliever ibuprofen can cause kidney failure in people with mild kidney disease, according to a new study.

A three-year study on the drug was reported today in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine. . . .

. . . gave participants above-normal doses of 800 milligrams of ibuprofen three times a day - the equivalent of 12 ibuprofen tablets - for up to 11 days.

After eight days, three women developed kidney failure, which reversed when ibuprofen was discontinued. The remaining nine women, who received ibuprofen for 11 days, showed changes in kidney function but did not develop kidney failure.

After recovering, the three women were given 400 milligrams of ibuprofen three times a day, equivalent to normal doses of the drug.

Two of the three again developed kidney failure but recovered when the ibuprofen was stopped.

Ibuprofen relieves pain by interfering with the body's production of prostaglandin, a substance involved in inflammation. But at the same time, the drug constricts blood flow.

Normally, the change poses little risk if used for a short period.

But for those whose blood flow to the kidneys is already reduced by kidney, heart or liver damage, flu, or aging, ibuprofen could lead to acute kidney failure. . . .

- Full article at link above.

-----------------

http://www.naturalnews.com/ibuprofen.html

Natural News.com Search for: Ibuprofen - Links to several articles

-----------------

http://www.itmonline.org/

ITM - Chinese Medicine Library has many articles from a search for: kidney.

-------------------

From "The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook"

you can see many articles that discuss kidney care just to give you an idea of some of the methods to be considered by a ND or L.Ac. -

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/display/Search?searchQuery=Kidney&moduleId=1405778
-

-
Back to your original question, can lyme cause kidney problems?

Many links pop up from a search at Google for: borrelia, kidneys.

So, that is to be kept in mind and why I really hope you can find a LL nephrologist.

I've also seen some remarkable turn-a-rounds for a couple people I know who have dealt with kidney problems - after they who consulted an ND / L.Ac. and worked with their other doctors for a complementary approach.

The herb, Salvia miltiorrhiza (second word there is really important to distinguish the species) has shown remarkable effects for kidney health. Best, of course with expert guidance.

Again, hope a little time, TLC and some simple solutions pop up for you two. Take care.

=================================

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/salvia-root-salvia-miltiorrhiza.html

SALVIA ROOT (Salvia miltiorrhiza)

-------------------------

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/salvia.htm

SALVIA [miltiorrhiza] and the History of Microcirculation Research in China

--

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/salviarenal.htm

THE USE OF SALVIA [miltiorrhiza] FOR PATIENTS WITH RENAL FAILURE

========================================

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=salvia%20miltiorrhiza

PubMed Search: (It�s called both Salvia m. & DanShen)

salvia miltiorrhiza � 1280 abstracts

DanShen � 1440 abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=salvia%20miltiorrhiza%2C%20kidney

salvia miltiorrhiza, kidney � 68 abstracts

DanShen, kidney - 78

========================================

Acetaminophen can cause liver problems as it blocks the liver from being able to make a key detox substance, glutathione. But that's another whole topic.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbh93
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbh93     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should see a nephrologist. I have normal kidney function but am monitored because I have PKD and so that could change. A neph should evaluate your kidney function.

--------------------
------------
It took 20 years to find out I'm not crazy.
New bite in 2010 pushed my body over the edge. Positive for lyme, babs, bart, and myco.
I am not a doctor and happily offer only my own opinions.

Posts: 357 | From The Beach | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GlitchyMomma
Member # 35826

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GlitchyMomma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone. My first appt with an LLMD is Monday. I will definitely be asking about this.

I rarely take Ibuprofen or Acetomenophine. I have been on anti-depressents for almost 6 years now [Frown] however.

Hugs
GlitchyMomma

--------------------
GlitchyMomma
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis dx July 2003
Cholecystectomy March 2010
Vit D3 Deficiency 2011
Progesterone Deficiency 2011
Adrenal Fatigue September 2011
Labcorp IgG 23 Positive, IgM 39 Positive, IgM 41 positive January 2012

Posts: 31 | From Louisiana | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope someone told you not to eat red meat. Substitute chicken and fish, but a vegan diet would be best for saving your kidneys from further damage. When your kidneys have trouble filtering out toxins, albumin is released into your urine.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement