LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Therapist suggests I try gluten free diet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Therapist suggests I try gluten free diet
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a new subject for me. I have been on a fairly simple, fresh diet for the past two years but have not paid much attention to gluten.

I go to the IMT (Integrative Manual Therapy) therapist twice a week and she really helps with the herxing, pain, etc. Today she said that the "hip pain" I was having was actually a blockage in my secum (the connector to the small intestine, I think). She cleared it with her energy manipulation and the pain was gone.

She said it might be a good idea for me to work on going gluten free, especially since I seem to be getting a lot of osteoporosis....knees, back, etc.

I am set to see an endocrinologist because my calcium levels are low and have been low for some time. I am worried about losing my hip, as my mother did. My therapist said to see him first, THEN see an orthopod to have my hip checked.

Meanwhile I can try to change my diet to see if that eases the pain I have in that part of my body world. Reading about it, it seems that gluten can cause all kinds of trouble.

Anybody have any advice for me?

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larae30
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larae30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I've read, a gf diet is recommended for people with lyme disease, along with a huuuuge multitude of other health problems. I have been one month gf now.

It's hard for me because I grew up eating too much and loving breads, pastas, etc...

If you do a search on this site, you will find a lot of information and even just a general google search on going gf.

There are a lot of great substitutions for things, so you can still have bread, pasta etc...it's just made with different kind of ingredients (coconut flour, almond flour, brown rice flour, etc...)

I'm starting to think a gf diet is the healthiest thing for most people to do...

--------------------
Treating lyme, bart and babs

Posts: 506 | From NE | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do it!! [Smile] You'll probably notice a difference .. if you adhere to it strictly.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canaanbites
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canaanbites     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD told me to go off gluten at my first visit back in 2008. I did not take her advice until this past spring. It seemed way too overwhelming and stressful, plus I assumed it wouldn't make any difference.

I finally took one of my children off of gluten in the spring, and decided I had better do it along with her. I am still surprised that I was able to stick with it, and make it through the first few weeks which were really difficult.

It took a few months for me to realize all of the positive changes this made. I no longer feel sleepy/groggy in the afternoon, I have MUCH less brain fog. I used to crash every day after work and would be pretty much useless until I revived with a nap. Now I am almost never groggy after work. Once or twice I slipped and had some gluten, and literally became so foggy/groggy that I would crash and have to nap.

I can't believe it took me all these years to try it, I still am amazed at the changes.

Posts: 114 | From NY | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rera2528
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rera2528     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto to what has been said above, but I would also stress that it is best not to try to just "substitute" with gf "replacements."

When I first went gf, I tried out every gf cookie, bread, cracker, bagel, pasta, frozen pizza, etc. When I finally had the Lyme diagnosis, I had to radically shift that diet.

This is a great opportunity to change how you eat, not just what you eat. I am at 11 months on the sugar free, yeast free diet, on top of the nearly 18 months gluten free. Is it challenging? Yes, but not nearly as much as it was the first couple of months.

Filling your diet with vegetables, nuts and seeds, healthy proteins, low sugar fruits, healthy dairy (if you can eat it) will make you feel even better. I loved the gf baked goods, but I like how I feel now even more.

Do I sometimes have gf pasta (go for Jovial), or crackers (Nut thins)? Yes! I also have a very occasional slice of pizza. But I had to move past replacement to a new mindset.

Sorry for the sermon [Smile] . Lyme aside, I feel much better than I have in many years, and I attribute it to diet.

Take care!

[ 02-05-2012, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: rera2528 ]

Posts: 447 | From Vermont | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DITTO WHAT RERA SAID!!

Avoid GF replacements. Have them occasionally.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
finallylyme
Member # 33807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for finallylyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My PCP recently reccommended going grain free and dairy free. She said both are linked to inflammation.

I'm getting ready to make the change. She said the first few days will be rough with cravings (grain) as my body detoxes. She said I may feel bad all over during those days.

Of course she also reccommended NO processed foods. I'm having the hardest time deciding how to have my morning coffee since all creamers are either dairy or processed.

--------------------
I have Lyme - but it doesn't have me.

Posts: 70 | From ohio | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going gluten free and dairy free made a HUGE difference for us.

As others have already stated above - watch the GF cookies, etc as they tend to be loaded with sugar.

You can still make just about everything you used to eat and just alter it to be GF.

More and more restaurants are offering GF choices now too. It may seem overwhelming at first - but it really does get easier.

Good luck!

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dyna3495
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dyna3495     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
avoiding gluten combined with sugar has changed my life ! I noticed improvement within 3 days and kept getting better as time went on.
Posts: 160 | From Mid-east USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightfoot
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck and watch the changes!! Concentrate on what you CAN eat and not what you can't eat. All good advice here.....think not of substitutes but think of whole and wonderful foods!!

--------------------
Healing Smiles.....lightfoot [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 7228 | From CO | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Be aware that even a TRACE of gluten can cause problems. Gluten can cause problems for the brain for months after ingestion.

If you have gluten-free bread be sure it is certified so and a "virgin" toaster would need to be used so that crumbs from previous use would not contaminate.

It sounds like a lot to take in but it'd be horrible to not know about the hidden sources and have that mess up results.

Also be aware that SOME gluten-free processed foods can still be junk food.

----------------------

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hidden%2BSources%2Bof%2BGluten&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Google Search: Hidden+Sources+of+Gluten

and

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=gluten%2C%20neurological

PubMed Search of Medical Literature:

Gluten, neurological: 155 abstracts

https://www.google.com/search?q=leaky%2Bgut%2C+gluten&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Google Search: leaky+gut, gluten

----------------------

www.celiac.com

www.celiacsolutions.com
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Remember: there are still many hundreds of foods that you can enjoy. Most grow right from the earth, in a perfect package.

Garden herbs & spices can turn even just your basic couple dozen vegetables into thousands of delicious recipes.

But do look outside of the typical veggies we are used to getting. Get to know the produce manager at your closest natural foods store.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larae30
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larae30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been gluten free-sugar free for a little over a month now. I haven't noticed any changes? Is this typical? Does it take months to feel a little better from the diet?

It's so hard for me to do this diet and makes it harder when I don't see results...I am an impatient person [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 506 | From NE | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Larae,

Having just been diagnosed a couple months ago, ill and getting used to various medicines, it seems logical that your body just has too much going on right now to notice particular benefits.

You could be worse, though, as gluten can really compromise the lining of the gut, etc. especially for those with lyme.

I think it's still important to keep to this, though. Your treatment be be more effective in the long run.

Many LLMDs want their patients to be GF as it helps so much (even if the benefits are not always crystal clear at first).
-

Larae30
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35220

Yeah, I'm going to keep it up. I just read so many people talking about how much better it makes them feel etc.. I was eating normally up until mid Dec. prob and so I've been gluten free-sugar free since then and I really haven't noticed changes, but maybe they are minute and I know it is better in the long run.

If there is one positive thing about all of this, it has made me more conscious about what I'm putting into my body. I was already a healthy eater, but did eat too many carbs.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by lightfoot:

Good luck and watch the changes!! Concentrate on what you CAN eat and not what you can't eat. All good advice here.....think not of substitutes but think of whole and wonderful foods!!

-

Absolutely! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement