LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Tell me the truth..How BAD was/is tindamax?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tell me the truth..How BAD was/is tindamax?
jackie81
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am about to start Tindamax and I just want to know the truth about it.

how did you (are you) handling it? Was the herxing really bad? what kind of side effects does it create?

Has it done anything great for you in terms of feeling better?

Be honest please!

Posts: 574 | From Out there somewhere | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never tried it myself, here's some good info on it:

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/tindamax-side-effects.html

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/drug-tinidazole/article_em.htm

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally and semi-professionally, I've found Tindamax easily to tolerate for most patients, especially considering the type of drug it is. As you most likely know if you've been reading here, Tindamax is a wide-ranging antibiotic that also is capable of "cyst-busting", with regards to Lyme and some other organisms that otherwise protect themselves with cyst and cell-wall-deficient forms.

It has the same side effect profile as most common antibiotics, but is notable for how much easier it is compared to its closest common relative, Flagyl. For instance, many get a metallic taste in their mouth with Flagyl, but Tindamax has far fewer and less severe taste disturbances for most. Flagyl tend to make many "just feel sick", and Tindamax to again have less severe side-effect profiles. Note, this is not limited to Lyme patients either. Also, I don't really "herx" as others seem to, so my personal experiences aren't any use here.

When it comes to going up against a wide range of organisms and especially those polymorphic "defensive" forms, Tindamax is often a great choice. Typically, the "worst" thing about it is its price - at the moment there is no American generic so if one has to pay out of pocket it can be extremely expensive, compared to Flagyl. However, if your insurance covers it and there isn't some extenuating circumstance, Tindamax is usually a better choice.

There is some debate over if Tindamax or Alinia (which is easily tolerated for many. Its chief side effect is typically bright neon yellow urine and the possible slight yellowing of other bodily fluids - sweat staining t-shirts will have a greater chance of discoloration etc... - Of course, there are other possible side effects and some do herx.) is a better Lyme cyst buster, with many leaning towards Tindamax, but with Alinia having bonuses against protozoa and other complex coinfections. Alinia's price is even higher than Tindamax though, so without insurance coverage it can be financially unacceptable. If Tindamax isn't working for you, after giving it a solid try and outlasting any herx reaction, Alinia isn't a bad idea either provided you can get coverage.

Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie81
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so so much for your post Blackstone!

I have never heard of Alina. Do you know if its available in Canada?

Posts: 574 | From Out there somewhere | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i got headaches from it the first few weeks I used it.

I only used 250 mgs on Saturday and Sundays

After a few weeks, I never got the headaches anymore and the brain fog got less and less with continued use.

it is expensive compared to flagyl. Honestly I reacted similar to BOTH. So, since flagyl is cheaper, if I go back on a cyst buster, I'd request Flagyl.

Although I heard Tindamax is much less abrasive on the body.

--------------------
www.mylymechronicle.wordpress.com

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took 750mg twice a day for months and tolerated it fine, no problems, some fatigue, which I have experienced with all abx and all other non-abx methods of killing buggies.
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's way easier on the system than flagyl!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beths
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Tindimax has another name outside the US.

I actually did better on Flagyl than tindimax-my LLMD says some react better to one or the other.

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tinidazole?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie81
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27031

quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
Tinidazole?

I think that Tinindazole is the generic name and in Canada I think it might be called Fasign..I think lol.
lilacs48
Member # 20025

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilacs48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was very excited to get to take Tindimax but my insurance wouldn't pay for it. Pharmacist said I could pay for it out of pocket...I don't remember the exact amount but it would have been over $1,200.

A friend suggested trying Canada since she has to get one of her scripts there. I got Fasigyn for less than $70. (Plan ahead..takes a while to get it.) I was able to get the amoxicillin here cheap.

In just a short while after starting it has helped my brain organize thoughts to get my work around home done...I started it a week before starting the other so know which did it.

I think you need to start your detox pretty heavy at the beginning & all the way through...think I would have felt better if I had. Glad I'm taking it. Certainly not well but better.

Posts: 75 | From Missouri | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t9im
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I attribute Tindamax to bring our daugher back from the brink with all the neuro symptoms.

Then last May I attended Dr. S's conference at the UNH and she had Tindamx as the #1 cyst buster (invitro - testtube) and spirochete.

Unfortunately she had some side effects and we had to take her off early.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ktkdommer
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We all herxed at first on tindamax but it is short lived. Each week got better and now no big deal at all. I found that I herxed more the 2nd day and the day after so I moved my meds to Thursday and Friday and then I could recover on the weekend and still work full time.

The information on this topic has been great. It was a good refresher of why we are taking it.

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beths
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too found that my herx is worse on the day after I finish the flagyl pulse
Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement