LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Methylation experts - B12 makes me hypomanic/anxious/sleepless

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Methylation experts - B12 makes me hypomanic/anxious/sleepless
cocowyo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cocowyo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't seem to matter which form I take.

I have homozygous C677T.

Suggestions?

--------------------
Clinical dx/muscle tests
+ CBS upregulation, parasites, babs
- bart, KPU, yeast, mold

Blood tests
MCTD (autoimmune): +RNP
MTHFR - homozygous C677T
CD57 - 192

Diet - modified paleo

Posts: 125 | From Rocky Mountains, USA | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried dibenzcozide or perque? They are already converted to a usable form.

With being homozygous you would likely be low in b12. Seems like you may be kicking many things into gear while bringing b12 up to a normal level.

Are you taking the active form of folic acid with it? That is likely important.

If it were me, I'd take a very small dose of the active form of b12 along with the other supplements that are recommended for your particular mutation.

You may also have the CBS upregulation which would be making you sick if you don't deal with it first.

That's about all the suggestions I have except to say that it would be worth your time to post on the yahoo group and perhaps Dr. Yasko's group for more suggestions about what might be going on.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/CFS_Yasko/
http://www.ch3nutrigenomics.com/phpBB2/index.php

You will need to sign up in order to ask questions but it is free.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One other suggestion - take in the AM - small dose.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no suggestions, just wanted to let you know I had the same reaction, even at low dose. I had similar reactions to some other parts of the methylation protocol as well. couldn't do it.
Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take in AM and with methyl folate.

Use 1/4 tablet and work up
4mg was rough on me too! Super anxious, brain fog, irritable, insomnia

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

If one cannot tolerate the methylation protocol and low dose does not work then the CBS upregulation could be a problem and/or toxin mobilization from opening the cycle.

The supplements to open your cycle may be causing heavy metals and other toxins to come pouring out too fast. Consider adding heavy metal and other toxin binders. Don't take anything that will mobilize toxins, just things to help your body get rid of them.

Terry
I'm not a doctor

vitamink
Member # 36646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vitamink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey coco,

check out this thread:

http://www.prohealth.com/me-cfs/blog/boardDetail.cfm?id=1407847

rich van k (the real 'methylation expert') describes this exact reaction, its possible causes and things that can help.

some excerpts:

"Quite a few PWCs have reported experiencing anxiety, a "wired" feeling, insomnia, hypersensitivity of the senses, and in some cases an elevated heart rate, especially when starting the methylation-type treatments."

"3. Additional supplements can be taken that tend to calm the NMDA neurons. Dr. Yasko has presented lists of them in her materials. They include GABA, magnesium, taurine, Valerian, topical progesterone, theanine, and others."

good luck!
k

Posts: 34 | From NYC | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cocowyo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cocowyo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wooooooooo hooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I've been looking for an answer to this question for *years*.

It has been so frustrating/confusing to have this reaction to B12 when almost all of the research and anecdotal evidence says that B12 is supposed to be calming.

I will definitely talk to my doc about metal toxicity and show him rich van k's post. I'll also ask him about dibenzcozide and perque. I'm pretty sure I already talked to my doc about CBS, but I'll ask again.

Thank you!

P.S. - I'm taking 1000mg of methyl folate daily.

Interestingly, I energy tested negative for every B12 supplement at my last appointment.

I started looking at the B12/anxiety connection recently after a bad trial of chlorella (very high in B12) and an uptick in hypomania/anxiety/insomnia when I take a PMS supplement that has methyl B12.

--------------------
Clinical dx/muscle tests
- bart, KPU, yeast, mold

Blood tests
MTHFR - homozygous C677T
CD57 - 192

Diet - modified paleo

Posts: 125 | From Rocky Mountains, USA | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try Hydroxy B12. Read heartfixer.com to understand how the 30 mutations are so interactive.

" COMT degrades dopamine, in the process using up methyl groups. Individuals who are COMT (+/+) degrade dopamine slowly, and as such have a lot of methyl groups floating around. If we supplement a COMT (+/+) individuals with methyl-B12 (or any other methyl donor for that matter) we can �OD� them with free methyl groups, too much of a good thing, and this leads to mood swings related to fluctuations in neurotransmitter levels.

Individuals who are COMT (-/-) have normal COMT function; they break down dopamine rapidly, using up methyl groups in the process. COMT (-/-) individuals need and tolerate methyl donors quite well. So if you are (+) for the MTR up regulation and/or (+) for the MTRR down regulation, and you are also COMT (-/-), all we need to do is to give you methyl-B12.

We are giving you the methyl-B12 that you need, and any extra methyl groups left over can be put to good use. Conversely, if you are COMT (+/+), we know that you have an excess of methyl groups floating around. We will give you hydroxy-B12, expecting it to combine with the methyl groups available to form the methyl-B12 you need (without ODing you with too many free methyl groups). This is all very confusing, and it gets worse when we consider the individual who is (+/-) for COMT, and when we factor in how one�s VDR gene status interacts with their COMT status.

I will give you specific recommendations, whether you need methyl-B12, hydroxy-B12, or both in combination, in my analysis of your Methyl Cycle genotype."

Also get GABA. It is very calming. Limit glutamate rich foods like soy, peas, mushrooms, wheat and tomatoes (alas, my favorites) which are excitotoxins.

If you can afford it, get the whole methyl cycle mutations panel. MTHFR is just one piece of the picture. It is not my main problems at all. CBS/NOS is.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw you are on the paleo diet. 90% of chronically ill patients have the CBS mutation. I am homozygous. When you eat meat you increase ammonia in your body. It takes two BH4 molecules to get rid of one molecule of ammonia so the BH4 is depleted. BH4 is necessary to generate dopamine, serotonin and nitric oxide.

Anxiety - depression? Change your diet. Even if you cannot afford the test, you can follow the treatment plan. It sure won't make you worse and more than likely you will get better. It takes months to reduce the ammonia. You have to be persistent.

You need to avoid sulfates and sulfites. Some supplements such as MSM have it so be careful what you are taking. Also foods like cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts, kale, spinach, soy and of course all animal products. You can supplement yucca and charcoal to help get it out.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cocowyo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36286

@nefferdun and TerryK:

I highly suspect CBS upregulation after looking over some lab work from over a year ago.

Urine taurine - high
Urine cystine - high
Urine AKG - high
Urine Ammonia - within range, but on the high end

All of these are "after" CBS in the methylation cycle.

D*mn it. I really like the paleo diet and sulfur veggies.

Thanks for your help ... I think :-P

--------------------
Clinical dx/muscle tests
- bart, KPU, yeast, mold

Blood tests
MTHFR - homozygous C677T
CD57 - 192

Diet - modified paleo

tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terry,

What kinds of things will help get rid of toxins without mobilizing them?

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sk8ter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sk8ter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
coco what test did you do for the above urine tests?What company?
Posts: 871 | From orange county, ca. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cocowyo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36286

Genova Diagnostics ONE Test
Optimal Nutrition Evaluation

Link below.

Click "Sample Report" on the right side and scroll to page 8-10 of the document to see what is actually tested.

http://www.gdx.net/product/10003

--------------------
Clinical dx/muscle tests
- bart, KPU, yeast, mold

Blood tests
MTHFR - homozygous C677T
CD57 - 192

Diet - modified paleo

canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump

I'd like to hear more regarding CBS upregulation

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

This doctor explains it the best.

--------------------

canefan17
Member # 22149

The good news on CBS abnormalities is it's fairly inexpensive to treat (mostly just avoiding sulfar/sulfite)

Seems that Yucca root may help if you eat animal products for a meal.

Someone also told me that supplementing with alkaline products (like pleo-alkaline) actually frees up the liver (which is producing ammonia to neutralize the stomach acids) to do it's job.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement