LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone fall down a lot, fall out of bed?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone fall down a lot, fall out of bed?
lymeladyinNY
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been falling down regularly, at least once a week. I fall out of bed frequently, too, just when I'm reaching for something that's not that far away.

My body is all black and blue, and I feel out of breath after each fall. Anyone with a similar problem?

I told my LLMD and he's prescribed PT, but I currently can't walk so I'm waiting for the next time I am able to walk to fill the prescription. I hope getting stronger helps.

- Lymelady

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry to hear you are falling. Have you been checked for orthostatic hypotension? You can be dizzy or out of balance even sitting or at least that has been my experience. Turning your head can make you lose balance with orthostatic hypotension. I used to be really unsteady on my feet after I started lyme treatment. Trigger points can also make it easy to fall.

Last time I fell my knee buckled. I broke and dislocated my finger. 2 surgeries and I need another one and the finger will never be usable. Doesn't bend anymore.

I fell once and caused a lot of pain in my tailbone. My regular doctor said nothing could be done but it was fixed immediately by a chiropractor. I've even fallen down a flight of stairs.

I haven't fallen in 2 years. Treatment really helped. I hope you stop falling soon.

PS
My sister was sick like I am and she fell down all the time. She fell through a glass coffee table and cut her hand really badly once.

Please be careful!!

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sleeping dog
Member # 27267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleeping dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi lymelady.
i fall down and fall out of bed as well. i am often lightheaded and dizzy and i have balance issues in my inner ear (lyme has given me many inner ear infections). i find that sudden movements (switching positions or going from a standing position to a sitting position or vice versa) or stair climbing are when i'm most at risk. i also have pretty severe muscle weakness in my legs at times (i call them spaghetti legs...). i think the falls are from these symptoms...
i try to pay attention when i'm switching positions, take it very slow, and hold on to stable objects (or people!). i also had pt to build up my muscles, but i don't think that helped too much. my legs are still pretty wobbly. my pt suggested hydro-therapy (swimming!), but i have a picc line so that is not an option for now... my doctor also has me on high dose vitamin d (initially my vit d level was 9 - very low). did you have your vit d level checked? the good news is that if it is low, it is a very quick and easy thing to improve. my legs are much stronger than they were, but definitely anywhere close to normal...
good luck and be careful...

Posts: 43 | From new jersey | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to talk to your regular GP (for medical insurance coverage reasons).

It does not hurt to get a "second opinion".

The ***falling down regularly*** is ONE symptom of other diseases too. The shortness of breath should also me mentioned to your doctor.

Your GP may order a PET scan or a *functional* MRI brain scan and cardiac testing.

Either way, the findings would be good to know.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please don't forget that the medications you may be taking may affect your balance. Some could be in conflict with another.

There are abx drugs that affect balance when you take them.

My husband and I call it rubber legs. Fagyl causes us to feel this way. Check with your doctor on the meds you are taking.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the ideas, everyone. My husband said something so mean the other night. I'm having a hard time forgiving him. He said I fall down or out of bed only when he's around and I'm "psychosomatic".

What happened was I was getting ready to go to bed and I noticed the phone next to me. I reached over to hang it up WHILE I was receiving IV antibiotics. For some reason, next thing I know I'm trying to hold my arm up so the PICC won't get pulled out, and pushing the rest of my body hard against the wall so I wouldn't fall down entirely. As it was, I knocked my drinking glass of water all over the hardwood floor. Because I screamed for help, I'm called that hated word, psychosomatic. Hey, it's not my fault my husband resents me.

Anyway, no, Terry, I've never been tested for orthstatic hypotension but I'm quite sure I have problems with it. It sounds like you and your sister have had a terrible time. I once fell backwards and missed hitting the kitchen counter by about a half an inch. Very scary.

Sleeping Dog, I have tinnitus with a new noise in my ear. I wonder if that isn't part of my problem. The new noise started with an aggressive new IV therapy my Lyme doc has me on. I do get my Vitamin D levels checked regularly and take a supplement. I would like to try gentle swimming when I my PICC removed.

Marnie, I do have wobbly legs from babesiosis. Also, my GP and LLMD both know of the shortness of breath. It all started with aggressive IV therapy this past winter. My LLMD says it's because we're hitting spirochetes in my lungs like I've never done before, and my GP defers to his judgement. I have a nebulizer. It just seems the problem gets worse when I fall.

You're right, Faithful, I have been prescribed many new drugs that I've never taken before because I have a new LLMD. This may be part of my problem.

Thanks, all, for listening. I just need to be very mindful about where I'm going and what I'm doing. That's tough when you've got a mushy brain! [Smile]

- Lymelady

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone. My husband said something so mean the other night. I'm having a hard time forgiving him. He said I fall down or out of bed only when he's around and I'm "psychosomatic".

What happened was I was getting ready to go to bed and I noticed the phone next to me. I reached over to hang it up WHILE I was receiving IV antibiotics. For some reason, next thing I know I'm trying to hold my arm up so the PICC won't get pulled out, and pushing the rest of my body hard against the wall so I wouldn't fall down entirely. As it was, I knocked my drinking glass of water all over the hardwood floor. Because I screamed for help, I'm called that hated word, psychosomatic. Hey, it's not my fault my husband resents me.

Anyway, no, Terry, I've never been tested for orthstatic hypotension but I'm quite sure I have problems with it. It sounds like you and your sister have had a terrible time. I once fell backwards and missed hitting the kitchen counter by about a half an inch. Very scary.

Sleeping Dog, I have tinnitus with a new noise in my ear. I wonder if that isn't part of my problem. The new noise started with an aggressive new IV therapy my Lyme doc has me on. I do get my Vitamin D levels checked regularly and take a supplement. I would like to try gentle swimming when I my PICC removed.

Marnie, I do have wobbly legs from babesiosis. Also, my GP and LLMD both know of the shortness of breath. It all started with aggressive IV therapy this past winter. My LLMD says it's because we're hitting spirochetes in my lungs like I've never done before, and my GP defers to his judgement. I have a nebulizer. It just seems the problem gets worse when I fall.

You're right, Faithful, I have been prescribed many new drugs that I've never taken before because I have a new LLMD. This may be part of my problem.

Thanks, all, for listening. I just need to be very mindful about where I'm going and what I'm doing. That's tough when you've got a mushy brain! [Smile]

- Lymelady

--------------------
I want to be free

lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Oops, my finger fell down and posted my response twice. I'm not kidding! [Smile]

--------------------
I want to be free

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement