LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » UPDDATE: Child with dble bulls eye tests positive for West Nile.Continuing story:

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UPDDATE: Child with dble bulls eye tests positive for West Nile.Continuing story:
Tricky Tickey
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Child got "some sort of bite" at the lake last week. About Aug.,8 bite looked like this, a scab:

-

Scab came off and it developed into this bulls eye.

On Aug. 9, bite looked like this and she starts running a fever. Doctor gives her Bactrim and steroid. The mom took her off the steroid, then called pediatrician today, at my advice. She child is now on 14 day Amoxicillin. Do yall think this will work? I've given her all info to contact LLMD.....I pray it's early enough that the Bactrim, backed up by the Amoxy will work. The fact she has a fever speaks volumes. The drew blood on her for lyme today, but I told her mother it would be negative, explained the deal to her.

-

[ 08-24-2012, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: Tricky Tickey ]

--------------------
Early Disseminated LD- 2010.
Currently doing acupuncture and yoga.
Negative Igenex (IND & Pos Bands)
ISSUES AFTER: Tendonitis, letter reversal, Low immune system.
PREVENTION:SaltC,Iodine,Humaworm,
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. Dr. B says several WEEKS AFTER ALL symptoms have subsided. It's not enough considering that she currently has a fever. She may need it for a while after having had steroids.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gave her mother lots of information. I've done all I can do at this point, trying to explain how serious it can be, the importance of getting to a LLMD, etc. But it's up to her to act on it. Everyone wants to, initially, trust their PCP. Let's pray the child gets well soon.

--------------------
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would even do months. At least 6 months and up to a year. My daughter has to do combo for that long anyway. Might as well be sure than sorry years on down.

Go to eBay and buy the fish Amoxi, it is said to be the same as human grade and much cheaper. Do a search here and ask people who have bought the Amoxi. I just ordered the fish Doxy and the pill is EXACTLY the same as the human pill.

Fish and other animals don't sue Big Pharma, but humans do. Hence this inconspicuous availability and the higher costs.

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No less than 8-10 wks because the life cycle of the keet is every 3-5 wks.

and yes, go past the last symptoms by 6 wks

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
absolutely NOT enough

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tricky Tickey:
I gave her mother lots of information. I've done all I can do at this point, trying to explain how serious it can be, the importance of getting to a LLMD, etc. But it's up to her to act on it. Everyone wants to, initially, trust their PCP. Let's pray the child gets well soon.

That's all you can do.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Don't let any lyme illiterate doctor tell this mom otherwise. This moms choices can save this child from suffering.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

I've already mapped it out for her. She seems satisfied that the doc gave the child 14 days Amoxicillin. She thanked me for my help and said she'd keep me posted. I took that as a closure. So all I can do now it check in & see how the child is doing & pray for understanding.

--------------------
Chiropractic.

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Oh, my. Many times over.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Update!!!

Just found out that this child tested positive for West Nile Virus. They are in the Dallas-Ft.Worth area where it's considered endemic right now. The child is feeling better, rash is going away. They are monitoring her closely. They even admitted that she could also have Lyme.

By the way, the LD test was negative, naturally. Medical folks have no clue that the test is no good; especially so early in an infection.

--------------------
Chiropractic.

Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not read the replies yet, but 14 days is never long enough treatment. This would not even cover one growth cycle of the bacteria.

I hope this child gets the proper dose and length of treattment as soon as possible.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Sammi, she tested positive for West Nile virus. These were evidently mosquito bites.

--------------------
Chiropractic.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't matter... you said the child could also have Lyme. I don't trust any flea, tick, mosquito, etc.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Me neither, Lymetoo. That is an unmistakable bulls eye on that child. I've researched and cannot find anything that says the rash from WN is a bulls eye. It says it can occur on the trunk of the body and says nothing about a rash at bite site.

She may have WN...but that bulls eye is evident. I've done all I can do to inform her mom. Now that they got the WN test results, she's sure that's all it is. I'm going to keep in touch with her and ask about the child's progress.

--------------------
Chiropractic.

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't think west nile virus caused the bull's eye... Sure looks like a bull's eye to me, anyway...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got Lyme from a mosquito bite. That's the only thing that's been biting me. I just got my confirmed test results.

I'm a month a half into all this.

The child needs to be tested after a month for Lyme. 2 weeks is too soon for the test. Even my PCP said this and she's the least educated out of the infectious disease doc and LLMD that I've also seen.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Judie, I'm going to suggest this to the child's mother. You know how it is when you can tell somebody everything you know about Lyme, yet they still just want to trust their PCP, etc cause they view them as credible, not us. This is how this is, I don't want to **** her off by keep insisting what she do with her daughter. I'll approach it again gently for sure.

If a bulls eye appears after a mosquito bite, that tells me one thing: LD can be carried by mosquitoes!!!

--------------------
Chiropractic.

Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just learning that I can't trust the typical medical guidelines on this one. They are just plain wrong. The test I just got back today confirmed this.

I'm going through a lot of emotions today, seeing that even though my PCP had good intentions, it was not the right treatment.

My PCP is a good doc too. Lyme is just a whole other problem that even the good docs aren't prepared to handle.

My bulls-eye rash wasn't even as distinct as the one you posted. I saw another doc before my PCP and that doc thought it was a spider bite. It just looked like a swollen red mass, with a small white area in the middle (no progressing rings).

I swear, the only thing that's been biting me are mosquitoes. I have other bites, but this is the only one that bloomed into something big.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Judie... have you watched these yet?

The Lyme Controversy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVPRWiukp_M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yk0C-uX9cU&feature=related

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO anyone who gets bit by an insect should treat and treat very well...

They got so much going on its not funny. TX dumped millions of Rabies retrovirus baits and now research tell us they are finding rabies in asymptomatic humans.

Just treat if you get bit period...A heat pad may help to kill the bugs. Just don't burn.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My fear with this West Nile outbreak...they stop with the positive WN test and don't even consider all the other pathogens these victims are infected with.

After all what % of medical community has a clue that mosquito are carriers of lyme & co?

They will tx with "the book" dosage of abx. If symptoms continue or worsen? We know that road of he!!.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

It almost creates an inward panic in me that this disease and it's buddies are most likely the culprit in all "mysterious diseases". And the very doctors we trust with our medical care don't know anything about it!!! That's scary.

--------------------
Chiropractic.

tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She probably got both lyme and West Nile from a mosquito bite.

My kids have been reinfected with lyme by mosquito bites several times this year. I strongly believe that many of the mosquitos are now carrying lyme in the endemic areas.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes I think they use the word virus so doctors dead brains think NO ANTIBIOTICS...LOL

When we know we have hundreds of infections with no tests to detect.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22711642
Molecular Typing of Coxiella burnetii (Q Fever).
Coxiella is an agent that could be used as a bioterror weapon. Therefore, typing methods that can discriminate strains and be used to trace back infections to their source are of paramount importance. In this chapter we provide an overview of historical and current typing methods and describe their advantages and limitations. Recently developed techniques such as MLVA and SNP typing have shown promise and improved the discrimination capacity and utility of genotyping methods for molecular epidemiologic studies of this challenging pathogen.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget that FL1953 is spread by mosquitos also.

There's a SOUP of pathogens from bug bites.

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bullseye rash is diagnostic for Lyme. We know that, hope the Mom and docs do, too.

Has the Mom seen the video "Under Our Skin"? Maybe that would speak to her.

Do you know any other parents of young children with Lyme disease who might be able to "share" their experiences, if the Mom would be willing to chat with them casually over tea?

Just want to say that you have done a great job already, and a great service to this child and parent. If the time comes when they need more support, they will know who to turn to!

Best wishes.

Posts: 873 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rbm
Member # 33660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rbm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Lyme and co's and do do both of my kids, ages 5 and 8. They didn't get diagnosed until this year. My daughter has been sick with sinus type/asthma stuff since she was 2 and last year had leg and back pains.
My son has sensory processing disorder, a light case, and OCD. They see Dr. J.
I am happy to offer any support etc. to anyone that has kids also.
I wouldn't wish this stuff on anyone. Lack of education is huge, and my friends and even family are clueless and act like it doesn't exist.
My prayers and best wishes are with this child and all others afflicted with these illnesses.
Hopefully there will be a good outcome.

Posts: 31 | From New jersey | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

hoeful4:
I gave her the link to Under Our Skin when she first contacted me for help. Whether she watched it or not, I don't know. She seemed closed on the subject after she got the DX of West Nile, but was agreeable to treat the child the standard 10 day Amoxicillin offered by the pediatrician. Of course, I mentioned that this was usually not nearly enough for Lyme infection, but her response was very 'closed' and ended with a 'thank you for your help'.

I'm going to be contacting her pretty soon to find out how the child is doing.

--------------------
Chiropractic.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement