LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Just became allergic to skin-prep...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just became allergic to skin-prep...
WendyK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WendyK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I'm itchy!! We were trying to figure out what was making me itch, and I was just thinking it was whenever I got too sweaty. Nope, definitely the skin prep! Good thing the stat loc can be put on without it. So what's in this stuff? I'm going to have to go look it up for future reference.

Unfortunately, even though my wonderful nurse offered to change it again immediately once we figured this out, the infusion company doesn't send extra dressing kits (unlike the tons of extra other stuff), so I'm stuck itching for a bit until I can get a new one.

Benadryl is my friend...

--------------------
Wendy

Posts: 253 | From Near Albany, NY | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dal123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dal123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rubbing alcohol can cause this, it has petroleum distillates in it. Use ever clear pure alcohol or vodka to sterilize. I was getting very itchy rashes on my hips where I was doing methyl B injections, it cleared right up when I switched to ever clear alcohol.......
Posts: 532 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should always have an extra dressing change kit (or 2) on hand for problems like this. Have your nurse call and request one if the company will not listen to you. It is not safe to leave you with no extra supplies! What if you were to accidentally get the dressing wet or need an emergency change? You would need an extra then too!

There are a couple brands of skin prep that you can try since you are now allergic to the stat-lock brand. Smith and Nephew "No Sting Skin Prep" is my favorite. Smith and Nephew makes another classic "Skin Prep" that works really well (and doesn't sting either). Cavilon is another one that works well for sensitive skin. And AllKare (this one gives me a rash but it is what my infusion co sends).

Infuserve America carries Smith and Nephew original "Skin Prep". You could order a couple to try it to see if you'd like it. I have sensitive skin and it doesn't give me a rash. Then order a box online at http://www.jrsmedical.com or allegromedical.com. A box is about $6. The "no sting" is $24.

Skin prep is important because it helps protect your skin. It provides a barrier film to keep the adhesive from ripping your skin (micro tears for infection) when you take the dressing off. The film also gives the dressing a great base to to stick to, increases adhesion.

Without skin prep you are more likely to start getting dressing reactions. (In my personal experience.)

Make sure that you are getting all the adhesive off between dressing changes. You may need an adhesive remover every now and then. If you have a build up of adhesive under the dressing you can get rashes too.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it Chloraprep? The one that has an applicator. I had a reaction to this, I now use iodine. I was also able to get the kits with iodine instead of chloraprep.
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
racer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for racer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had reactions to Chloraprep formulations too. Awful, itchy rash. We used the PVP iodine and plain alcohol wipes instead when we had PICC lines.

racer

--------------------
Me - Igenex: IgM: 41IND, IgG: 39IND, 41+ but Plasmid PCR Positive
Kiddo - after 1 year IV - positive Lyme culture (before IV: IgM:31,34,41,83-93 IND; IgG: 41+++, 66+)

Posts: 133 | From CT | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sleeping dog
Member # 27267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleeping dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i also had an allergic reaction to the glue...terrible itchy rash!
stat lock and iv3000 bandages solved the problem almost immediately. also, we use paper tape to hold the catheter extension to my arm. no problems at all. it seems that many people have issues with the adhesives and/or latex. for me, it is just the adhesive that was a problem...
signed,
itch-free in new jersey

Posts: 43 | From new jersey | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WendyK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WendyK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the suggestions! Its not the chloroprep, its a much more focused area. Its either the skin-prep that comes in the dressing kit, or the adhesive itself on the stat-lock. I didn't know there are different brands of skin-prep that could be tried.

I have had trouble with adhesives in the past (especially with tape), and already have to get a special dressing in order to not itch. I guess I'll just have to experiment until the itch is gone.

I now have in my possession, 4 extra dressing kits. [Smile] I got several extra because we're about to leave for vacation at the ocean beach. I hope the drypro cover is as waterproof as it claims to be, but I'm skeptical. I'll be spending most of my time out of the water and in the sand this year.

--------------------
Wendy

Posts: 253 | From Near Albany, NY | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have fun on your vacation Wendy [Smile]

The DryPro waterproof cover really is waterproof so you can enjoy the water worry free!

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm allergic to surgical tape. It looks and feels like a burn.
Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the name of the ingredient? Chloraprep comes in the dressing kit.
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Haley, skin prep usually has a whole list of ingredients. It either comes in her stat-lock kit or the dressing change kit. It is different than chloraprep though.

Chloraprep is the cleanser, you use that first to kill germs. Then put the skin prep on to help protect your skin and to help the stat-lock and dressing to adhere well.

It is confusing that they call both products "prep" even though one is a cleanser and one is a protectant.

Haley
Member # 22008

Okay, got it Sammy. I guess I have only used cleansers. I never used anything to help the dressing adhere. I have had a port since end of 2009, never knew there was additional stuff to put on.
WendyK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18918

I will have fun, thanks! I haven't been able to get my drypro cover to be so waterproof though that I felt I could go swimming.

Its certainly a whole lot better than anything else, but I think because my insertion site had to be so high on my arm, its a difficult place to waterproof. The cover tends to roll down and expose the edge of the dressing and that's where the water gets in. I picked up some waterproof tape (that will probably make me itch), to try to hold it in place better.

I looked at the ingredients of the skin prep today, and didn't see anything I would suspect. Then we also did a little test - stuck an extra stat-loc in one place on my lower arm, and did a swipe of skin prep on another spot. And neither of them got itchy!

So maybe it is just sweat build up or lack of air or something under the stat loc? We tried putting in a slightly different spot today to see if that fixes the issue. Didn't use the skin prep in the normal spot though. Its not too bad right now.

--------------------
Wendy

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement