LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » how do you kill/get rid of MOLD ON CONCRETE FLOOR?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how do you kill/get rid of MOLD ON CONCRETE FLOOR?
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
all the mold sites i go to and i cant find out how...

it says dont paint over it til you kill and remove...but how do you kill and remove?

ive heard of dry ice blasting...anything i can do my self?

every time i dig deeper in this house i fing somethng new to deal with...all mold related tho

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WendyK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WendyK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
10% bleach and water solution.

--------------------
Wendy

Posts: 253 | From Near Albany, NY | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No bleach. This is a misconception (per many mold experts I've connected with). Some liken it to the idea of a lawn mower mowing over dandelions.... it just grows back.

Ammonia is best. Ammonia and water (50/50). Ammonia not only kills mold but it also neutralizes the mycotoxins. Straight ammonia is even better but you have to use special masks and have a lot of ventilation until the chemical disperses and dissipates.

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bleach will kill on non porous surfaces but not on porous surfaces like concrete.

We had the top layer ground out and a concrete sealer put on. This was the recommendation of the floor person. Seemed to work fine but I can't guarantee it will work for your situation.

PS we had the whole area closed off including all the vents while this was being done. Then we washed everything down with thieves oil + thieves oil cleaner per the book written by Dr. Close.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used tilex. But it does come back after a while if there is not enough ventilation, or if we get too much rain (humidity). August seems to be the worst month.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i know i need to seal it...but i didnt know about grinding it out...that will be hard. i get really sick from the dust.

does anyone know the name of a sealer that works good?

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Orange Guard takes out mold - it's a great cleaner - it's an essential oil from oranges - you can find it in healthfood stores and hardware stores.

Put a little in a spray bottle, fill with water and spray. Takes about a half hour to dissipate the orange smell.

I also use it as my tick repellent, since it repels bugs. I spray it on clothing and immediate environment, like where I'm going to sit, but I do not use it on skin.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine who has a head for chemistry and was dealing with her own major mold issue did a TON of research. Hands down she said ammonia.
Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. K says to use Vinegar and baking soda.

Vinegar is best for the mold. Baking soda for the mold spores.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigstan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigstan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First go to Home Depot and buy Concrobium Mold Control. See link:

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/cleaning/cleaners/concrobium/mold-control-1-gallon-jug-92169.html#.UDVA-KDuDwk

From there buy the paint Kilz. From the Kilz Site:

To block mold and mildew stains:

KILZ Exterior, KILZ 2 Latex, and KILZ Premium primers

Mold and mildew covered surfaces must be thoroughly washed with a mildew remover, rinsed with water and allowed to dry before priming. We recommend KILZ 2 Latex primer or KILZ Premium primer for interior surfaces, and KILZ Exterior primer, KILZ 2 Latex primer, and KILZ Premium primer for exterior Mildew-prone areas.

(Important to find source of leak and fix)

--------------------
HERX is a Four Letter Word!

Posts: 716 | From If you're going through hell, keep going......Winston Churchill | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used kilz before because the dear cat peed and sprayed everywhere, even the tack boards were covered.

Follow instruction, I don't remember horrible smell from it.

We also found a product at Home Depot called Odoban that has worked well.

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good ideas!! I've heard of Kilz before.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this from top mold experts: Ammonia to kill mold and spores.

No bleach/gets rid of mold but makes spores propagate.

use dry-lok on cement.

run fans with air running out windows. wear masks and protective gear if you are doing this yourself.

As TerryK has said, you can diffuse Thieves Oil and also wipe down with Thieves Oil cleaner as you go along. Everything needs attention (all of your belongings) not only your floors.

Do you know the type of mold you have?

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tgym
Member # 23638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tgym     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kilz does not control or eliminate mold.
Im in the drywall restoration business. A lot of my work requires remediation.
The industry standard is a product called Microban.
You can usually buy it at a janitorial supply shop.
Its what all remediators and hospitals use for bacteria, mildew and disenfecting

--------------------
Neuro symptoms since 1995. Dx'd Bart in 10-09.
Biaxin/Tindamax 10-10 thru 2-11
Factive 3-11 thru 5-11
Factive/ Rifampin 9-11 thru 11-11
IV Rocephin/ Tindamaz. 11-11 thru 1-12/
IV Rocephin/ Flagyl / Factive 1-12 thru present

Posts: 69 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would steam cleaning the cement kill the mold?

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

I don't think so Razzle......water on mold will only cause it to grow. You need a killing agent. The important thing to remember is that dead mold is also dangerous because it still produces mycotoxins. That's why ammonia is best. It kills the mold AND neutralizes the mycotoxins.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tgym.. Can she use ammonia then the microban? or skip the ammonia?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used kilz before because the dear cat peed and sprayed everywhere, even the tack boards were covered.

Follow instruction, I don't remember horrible smell from it.

We also found a product at Home Depot called Odoban that has worked well.

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

thank you all for answers...

stan: there is no leak. it is condensation from house built on slab. the fiberboard used for subfloor was the worst culprit. if they had only put carpet down it might have breathed thru.

im not big on carpet cuz of other allergies and mcs. i found a product called dri-core made in canada that is very promising. it does have glue in it but not formaldyhyde and you off gass it b4 installing

the last 2 rooms i demoed had new problems and i am struggling with those now...

mildew stains are not an issue...as slab will be covered with something...but my brother said to mix an antimicrobial into kiltz and paint that on...is that what you are saying stan?

thanks all for help...so much new learning for this lyme brain. in a way its good i'm doing this in sections cuz each part is different.

ps-the cat pee is sorta on hold while i deal with the mold room...

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

moldinspector.com got back to me and said mold doesnt eat concrete it only eats the dust on the concrete

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

That's good news at least!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement