LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Methyl Cycle Mutation Updates ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Methyl Cycle Mutation Updates ?
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got my test results and sent them to Heartfixer. I finally got them back about a week ago. It took 3 months to get the test results and another 3 months for his analysis. I had pretty much figured things out on my own but he tweaked it a little bit.

My base problem is the CBS homozygous mutation with BHMT heterozygous mutations compounding the effects. This means I cannot tolerate sulfur, make too much ammonia etc. Although I also have trouble converting B12 and folate to their usable forms, I can't use the methyl supplements until I correct this sulfate problem.

I have been trying to do the first step literally for five months and have gotten no where. I have urine test strips and my sulfate remains as high as it gets. In order to lower the sulfates I have to eliminate all sulfur containing foods and supplements.

To lower the ammonia and also to follow Dr. F's low fat vegan diet, I have eliminated animal products as well as nuts, seeds, avocado etc. Then the sulfates require me to eliminate soy, garlic, kale, spinach, cabbage and onion. I am also supposed to eliminate foods high in glutamate including peas, mushrooms and tomatoes. Darn near impossible unless you eat nothing but plain white beans and rice.

Is anyone else dealing with this and getting frustrated? I am feeling much better but I don't know if I will ever be able to get my CBS mutation under control.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nefferdun,

Are we twins? I have the same problem with the CBS double mutation and it is nearly impossible to work with. Everyone keeps saying I need this that and the other supplement, but when I look at ingredients, it has something in it with sulfur, sulfites, or too much B6...

The biggest help for me is to take lots of molybdenum and B12. I use Thorne Research Molybdenum - it has 1000mcg per capsule. I can always tell when it is time for my next dose...

Also, I find help for the ammonia issue by taking Yucca Root daily - I buy the bulk powder from mountainroseherbs.com, and have measuring spoons devoted to use with my medicinal herbs so I always have the spoons available to measure out the herbs when needed.

And yes, the diet is insanely limited. There is a small handful of foods that aren't on one of the "no" lists...

I have to wonder if the infections are also contributing to difficulties with getting a handle on this methylation stuff. I know Lyme generates a lot of ammonia itself, and I have to wonder if other coinfections also do that.

So yeah, I share your frustration.

Cyberhugs,

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Razzle, do you have the test strips? If so, what is your reading? How do you know the molybdenum is helping you? I take molybdenum every day. I also take hydroxy B12 neuro health formula, phosphytidleserene, folapro, GABA, NADH, CoQ10, carnitine and just ordered Folinsic.

I use the Ammonia RNA support. I was taking charcoal at night but I started getting insomnia and quit. I took a bottle of yucca but quit that too when I ran out. How do you know it is lowering your ammonia levels?

I wonder if the B vitamins, which turn your urine orange, might affect the color of the test strips which turn from pink to orange when your sulfate is high. It is just too frustrating to think I can't get this down at all. It is still 1600.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yuacca root and treat parasites.
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Yucca is supposed to reduce ammonia. I took it until I ran out. Did not reorder but I am taking RNA Ammonia Support. What about sulfates? Is anyone else testing their sulfates?

How is everyone else doing that did this test? Any changes?

--------------------

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I admire that you did all of this but I don't know if I would go this far with things. Can you really tell that it's helping & not some other aspect of your treatment?

I learn alot from your posts. Keep doing what you think is correct.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really happy to hear you are feeling better Neff. It sounds like there is something missing, though otherwise your ammonia would drop. Maybe you're already doing this, but I found the link below--citrus (hope it helps).

http://www.ehow.com/how_5845643_naturally-ammonia-levels-down-body.html

Also, here's a blog where someone mentions high dose lactulose:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/Amonia-high---brain-fog/show/96023

Also, gastro intestinal bleeding causes high ammonia.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/228000-what-are-the-causes-of-high-blood-ammonia-level/

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heleneh
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heleneh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the CBS gene too and for me it is a major problem. I am working with a dietician who told me the best foods to eat when you are trying to avoid sulfur are: carrots, green beans, zucchini, celery, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, yellow potatoes, blue potatoes, avocados, beets, pumpkin, yellow squash, fresh sweet peppers, okra, wax beans, fresh basil, thyme, rosemary, fresh ginger, tumeric, apples, apricots, cherries, asian pears, pink grapefruit, peaches, pineapple, lemon, fresh dates, dark chicken meat, beef, wild venision, elk, buffalo, turkey, trout, rabbit. almonds, cashews, walnuts. These are some of the things I was told to eat. One thing we found was it can depend on the soil and the fertilizer. But these are the things I was told to eat.
Posts: 140 | From Illinois | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

I haven't had my ammonia levels tested. High ammonia goes with the CBS/BHMT mutations. I should get it tested to find out where it is. The doctor said it would be easier to lower the ammonia than the sulfates. Protein produces ammonia, especially meat which I do not eat.

Here is a stie I found today with sulfur levels in foods. I am so glad I found this as it clearly shows what amounts foods have. Meat is very high in sulfur so heartfixer advises not eating any animal products.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1264524/pdf/biochemj01022-0143.pdf

I am still doing well especially considering where I was a year ago. I had to stop taking the stomectol (ivermectin) every day because it gives me headaches. I need to take it to keep symptoms away so I am currently taking it every 3 days or so. Other than LDN and the supplements, that is all I am taking.

I usually relapse in winter so I don't consider myself out of the woods yet. I will probably add in doxy in a month or so because it increases the effectiveness of the stromectol. I can't handle drugs very well so the diet is critical.

--------------------

dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
razzle, is the molybdenum picolinate the one you're taking?
Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Heleneh, the list your dietician gave you is good with a few exceptions. These foods are high in sulfur: turmeric, pineapple and any kind of meat. Almonds and walnuts need to be eaten in very small amounts as they also have sulfur. Peanuts are extremely high.

You can add eggplant, yams, pumpkin, bulgar, rice, honey, arrowroot, tapioca, oranges, bananas, lentils and beans (especially white beans). Beans and lentils have more sulfur than the vegetables and fruit but they are necessary for protein and they are much lower in sulfur than any kind of meat. Avoid soy.

Eggs are very high. Tea and coffee are high. Cabbage is very high. I was eating a lot of oatmeal believing it was safe but it is actually high. Whole wheat is high so you need to limit it.

If you have the CBS and or BHMT mutations, then you probably also have mercury toxicity as a result of low glutathione production. In blood work your homcysteine levels will be low or low normal. You probably react to red wine - get headaches.

The sulfates and ammonia cause a number of issues: Low energy, fight of flight response (anxiety), low dopamine and serotonin (worry and insomnia) reduced nitric oxide resulting in constricted blood vessels (headaches, heart disease, sluggish circulation) and low glutathione production (disease, build up of heavy metals).

You cannot supplement methyl groups before you reduce the sulfates or you will just add to the problem. That is what worries me. This is where you begin - not MTHFR or some other mutation. This is where the door opens.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement