LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cut my finger on galvanized sheet metal - Tetanus risk?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cut my finger on galvanized sheet metal - Tetanus risk?
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok..I know y'all aren't doctors.

I'm putting together a dryer duct for my new dryer. Stupidly took off my gloves and managed to slice my finger. It is about 1/2" long and not too deep. Right on / near the finger tip on my middle finger.

The duct is galvanized stainless from Home Depot. It has ZERO rust on it and has a small amount of oil on the surface.

What is the tetanus risk? I haven't had a booster in over a decade. Maybe now is the time. Ug...vaccines + lyme are never fun. But neither is Tetanus.

I'm sure it is likely fine as the cut I got is like one that someone would get from a kitchen knife while cutting vegetables. Still..it is a concern. Thoughts?

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It's not so much rust as the tetanus bacteria which can be in dust, soil, etc.

You need to call Urgent Care now and ask them.

The galvanized metal may have been very clean or very dusty or in between. If it was in a sealed plastic bag, that's a better chance rather than it having been in a dusty shelf in a home repair store, sitting next to potted plants, for instance.

Some potting soils are sterilized but I'm not sure about all - or the soil in potted plants that are brought in from outside vendors.

Even on the check out line, though, if exposed, it could pick up tetanus spores from potting soil debris, etc. on the conveyor belt or counter top.

That "small amount of oil on the surface" of the metal could harbor tetanus spores if it had been around any and it's just nearly impossible to know unless it had been in a seal bag.

It also could be that the Rx combo you are on might be helpful. Though, I'd want someone in the medical field to weigh in on this as tetanus is nothing to chance.

Good luck. Hope all is well soon.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Email or call your LLMD tomorrow. You may have some risk of the wound being contaminated because the materials you were working with sat out in the open environment at Home Depot. That is not a clean environment!

Tetanus is commonly found in the soil. That is why we need to keep the tetanus vaccine up to date, because we can be exposed so easily. Deep puncture wounds, cuts, and slices allow the bacteria in to multiply. Cleaning these kinds of wounds is difficult, sometimes impossible.

So call your doctor to discuss your situation. He will know what is best for you.

I had to get a TDaP vaccine a couple years ago and I tolerated it well. I had the typical achy arm immune response, it was actually good to know my body recognized the vaccine. That was it, no side effects.

Take care. Hope your finger heals quickly.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
The thing with tetanus is that HOURS matter. Waiting until tomorrow can be too late. A tetanus shot has a very slim window of time in which it can be given after possible exposure.

While it may be just after 11 where you are, you could still get to Urgent Care and back home by midnight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetanus

Tetanus (Wiki - for a start to your research)
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UGggggg.. I am not going to be fair minded on this answer because I believe my last booster shot caused me major problems. I also believe if you ask a general doctor they will push the booster, needed or not.

Here is the official vaccine schedule for adults by the wonderful vaccine pushers - the CDC.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6104a9.htm

Here are the contraindicators

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/should-not-vacc.htm#td

Here is a non-CDC site talking about it.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2342081_know-need-tetanus-shot.html

Here is what can happen if you get tetanus.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2067051_treat-tetanus.html

Now you are on your own. I wish I could say yes or no, but I can't do that for you.

Decisions, decisions.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
While I, too, had a terrible reaction to a tetanus shot decades ago (there were mitigating factors), tetanus can kill and do so very fast. It can also cause severe neurological damage.

It's a tough call but you need all the facts and then decide.

If you decide to go for a booster now, try to do what you can for protection before hand, later and tomorrow, etc.

Not about a tetanus shot, but still some good basic suggestions there that may well apply:

------------------------------------

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/09/19/The-Truth-about-the-Flu-Shot.aspx

What To Do if You are Forced to Take Swine Flu Shot (by Dr. Mercola) 2009

Excerpt (from the very end of the article):

Treatment for Toxic Vaccine Exposure

1. Place a cold compress on the site of the injection immediately after the injection and continue this as often as possible for at least two days.

If symptoms of fever, irritability, fatigue or flu-like symptoms reoccur -- continue the cold compresses until they abate. A cold shower or bath will also help.

2. Take krill oil as a source of animal based omega-3 fats.

3. Curcumin, quercetin, ferulic acid and ellagic acid as a mixture -- the first two must be mixed with extravirgin olive in one teaspoon. Take the mix three times a day (500 mg of each)

4. Vitamin E (natural form) 400 IU a day (high in gamma-E)

5. Vitamin C 1000 mg four times a day

6. Astaxanthin 4 mg a day

7. Zinc 20 mg a day for one week then 5 mg a day

8. Avoid all immune stimulating supplements (mushroom extracts, whey protein)

except beta-glucan -- it has been shown to reduce inflammation, microglial activation and has a reduced risk of aggravating autoimmunity, while increasing antiviral cellular immunity.

9. Take a multivitamin/mineral daily (one without iron -- Extend Core)

10. Magnesium citrate/malate 500 mg of elemental magnesium two capsules three times a day

11. Vitamin D3:

A. All Children -- 5000 IU a day for two weeks after vaccine then 2000 IU a day thereafter

B. Adults -- 20,000 IU a day after vaccine for two weeks then 10,000 IU a day thereafter

C. Take 500 mg to 1000 mg of calcium citrate a day for adults and 250 mg a day for children under age 12 years.

12. Avoid all mercury-containing seafood

13. Avoid omega-6 oils (corn, safflower, sunflower, soybean, canola and peanut oils)

14. Blenderize parsley and celery and drink 8 ounces twice a day

15. Take Jatoba tea extract (add 20 drops in on cup of tea) one day before the vaccine and the twice a day thereafter.

you can get it at iHerb's site for under $8.00:

http://www.iherb.com/Amazon-Therapeutics-Jatoba-1-oz-30-ml/14429?at=0
-

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because I'm allergic to the tetanus shot, I prefer to use homeopathic options for tetanus prevention. Homeopathic Hypericum is supposed to act as preventative to tetanus (lock jaw), and I carry this remedy with me at all times.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gmb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cut two fingers pretty deep last May and needed surgery to repair four severed tendons.

I thought about the risk of a tetnus shot on my supressed immune system and decided against getting the shot.

The limited research I did stated that a tetnus infection was a very low risk. Do a google search and see what you find.

This is a tough call to make.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4870

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once cut myself on a rusty nail. Called the LLMD who told me, that tetanus is so rare that the risk of the tetanus shot wasn't worth it. I did fine, no tetanus. Would think long and hard about getting any immunization.
Posts: 366 | From Louisville KY. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sammy:
Email or call your LLMD tomorrow. You may have some risk of the wound being contaminated because the materials you were working with sat out in the open environment at Home Depot. That is not a clean environment!

So call your doctor to discuss your situation. He will know what is best for you.

I completely agree wtih what sammy posted.

Years ago before I got Lyme, I stepped on something and even though I was wearing shoes and socks, it cut my foot. The doctor told me there could be any number of nasty bacteria on the item. I got a tetanus shot. Despite a thorough cleaning of the wound, it ended up getting infected repeatedly over several months.

I also had to get a tetanus shot a few years ago (when having Lyme and company). It had no effect on me except the sore arm, and I am immune deficient.

Definitely call your doctor.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all. I managed to find and review my vaccine records and see that I had a Tetanus booster in early 2007. So only 5 years ago. I should be good to go.

Thanks!

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began

IgM Igenex +/CDC +

Currently on:

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Whew. I didn't like either option: the booster (for someone with health issues), or to chance it. Glad you found your records.

Hope the cut heals well.
-

[ 09-12-2012, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bcb1200, what a relief!
Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Keebler. Me either.

Before I would get vaccines without even blinking. Now...I have to always weight risk v reward.

I do think vaccines are good...or to be clearer MOST vaccines are good. They serve a purpose.

But for my kids, I now only allow them to be vaccinated with one thing at a time and never when they are sick. I space their vaccines out at least a month each. No more getting 3-4 jabs in a single visit. It is too much for their little systems to handle!

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began

IgM Igenex +/CDC +

Currently on:

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement