LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Thoughts on Antidepressants

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thoughts on Antidepressants
Anissahope4healing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39221

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Anissahope4healing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone!

I just began treatment these past two weeks with a LLMD and have started the 200mg/twice a day of Doxy, and have now added Nystatin.

I have been taking Wellbutrin Xl since this past Jan, 300 mg and also Celexa 40mg. As of this summer I weaned off of the Celexa and now just take the Wellbutrin XL.

One of my serious problems with this has been my fatigue, depression, and memory..some slurred speech creeping in.

But my depression, and withdrawing socially has been on a decline for quite sometime. The past couple months Imhave been mostly bed bound.

Lately, my depression has hit a real low. I have two precious boys, ages 5 and 9, and I can hardly have the energy to just sit in bed and play and try to look "happy". [confused]

I have read about lithium Oritate (not sure on the spelling), I am taking high quality Omega's, B's, Iodine, Coq10, and others because I was trying to not have to add another med.

But maybe I do, to get me through this debilitating time right now. My five year old turned five last week, and we didn't tell him what the date was (thank goodness he is four) and he was more excited to go Trick or Treating- so he didn't know we were postponing his birthday party until Mommy could get out of bed.

I just can't stand very long without feeling dizzy, and I hate feeling so depressed. I, like many of you was an very active outdoorsy type of woman, loves animals, the ocean, rock climbing, hiking, anything active- and now I feel the best in my bed, just laying.

My head hurts..the front and temples, neck burning, but I do want to do something about this depression. [bonk] [confused]

Thank you for reading- sorry it got long. And I will try to do better breaking up the paragraphs.

Posts: 167 | From Southeast Tennessee/Chattanooga/Atlanta | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuel1212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there,

So sorry you are feeling crummy.

If I were you, I would definitely try to get off the wellbutrin, but this is just my opinion. Obviously, it doesn't appear to be helping a whole lot. There has been quite a few studies on Lithium Orotate that seem pretty good.

I think the lithium orotate works against your thyroid though or maybe binds to the hormone if you are taking it? It has been a while since I researched this.

What does you LLMD think you have just Lyme, or have you tested for co-infections like bartonella and babesia? I would have thought you would be on more than doxy with a LLMD?

Also need to really focus on detox.!!! I know if you are new it sounds goofy, but it is key. The antibiotics are killing the lyme and your body cannot keep up with ridding your body of the toxins. If you have the money buy an infrared sauna, look into Coffee enemas, lemon water, etc

Last, if you are a person of faith prayer is very powerful. You can either use this experience in a positive way, or just give up feel sorry for yourself and ask why me... Be strong you will get through this. Think of Lyme like a cheating husband or bad friend

Peace
Fuel

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

Posts: 610 | From Lymeville | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chastain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can only tell you my personal experience. Antidepressants made me crazy...I was literally suicidal on Paxil. I am not a fan of antidepressants. I understand that they help some, but to me and also my best friend they did much more harm than good. I hope you feel better soon though...depression is so painful. Jess.
Posts: 651 | From ct | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homeopathy or Bach Floral Remedies and/or Essential Oils (aromatherapy) have no side-effects and yet can be very successful at treating depression (personal experience, plus family member experience).

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joysie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joysie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A low dose anti-depressant made it possible for me to be present for my family. I resisted it for the longest time and that is the worst mistake I could have made.

Everyone is different, but an anti depressant saved my family life and sanity.

Posts: 520 | From Maryland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlcd1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlcd1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only take 5mg of lexapro and it's helped me a lot. I'm thinking about raising it to 10mg.
Posts: 908 | From Albany | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. K. states that psychiatric drugs make treating Lyme almost impossible.

My most recent research shows that foods with genetically modified ingredients (usually soy and/or corn---the most prevalent) cause serious behavior changes in animals.

Many doctors now treating chronic illness tell their patients to get off any GMO foods just as a start. Lots of behavioral/mood issues resolve on this alone. See the movie online, geneticroulettethemovie.com

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anissahope4healing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anissahope4healing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your feedback. I went back to edit this and warn you guys that this post is very long. [dizzy]

The LLMD I am seeing is going to treat for co-infections, but he likes to introduce one thing at a time- wait a week or so (sorry, my memory), I'll have to read his typed directions again.

He said he finds that when in the past his patients were put on a few different things at the same time, if it was helping, he and they wouldn't know which one, or vice versa, if there was a bad reaction they wouldn't know which was the cause.

So, right now I am on the 200mg Doxy tablets twice a day, I can't remember if I posted that I had added in the Nystatin, four times a day, I do sublingual drops daily and today I had my first Epsom Salt/Hydrogen Peroxide bath (under 20 minutes and not in hot, but very nicely warm water).

I have Ateminisin, left over from my dog Bandit (best Buddy- sadly lost him to melanoma).. It was growing on the roof of his mouth.. [Frown] ..

Anyways, the Arteminisin helped him, and we had surgery (maixelectomy) to remove the hateful cancer and were going to start on the Canine Melanoma Vaccine- but that cancer snuck by us and was all through his abdomen.

He was able to pass away in our backyard- one of our vets came over. I miss him so much- God knew what a blessing they are with such unconditional love! And boy do we need that! But I do want to use Arteminisin at some point and will research more on when it will be best to add it and with what.

But I think the next thing I am going to add is Magnesium ....wait and then try the Lithium Oritate ( and I will ask and look into it possibly hindering the hormones, adrenals, etc).but I will make sure it won't contraindicate anything.

I do believe in essential oils so I will definitely buy some to have ...I'll search for uplifting, cheerful, blends.

And as you all know this already, but as I was figuring out all,of my problems, one of my doctors referred me to a Psychiatrist.. [Smile] [loco]

The first one ended up being awesome. If you can believe that. She was great- I didn't know about my infection at the time, but she spent tons of time with me and spoke over the phone many times.

An amazing psychiatrist. Sadly, she discovered a life threatening illness that needed treatment ASAP aggressively, so I had to find a new one

The one I have now, I actually just saw him yesterday- and yesterday I was so happy to feel well enough to get up, dressed, and drive to my appt!

It's shows me how much in the past I took running errands, walking, getting out to get the mail for granted. Sorry- just a realization. But I did tell this dr., he is in his early 80's, that I have Borrelia, Lyme.

I knew that I could share "some" things with him and he has been open to learning about things in the past. But when I asked about adding an antidepressant, he said that he would wait and see how the Doxy and my treatments are going. I liked his reply and that he wasn't so quick to prescribe another med, and took my bacteria diagnosis seriously.

And I forgot to share that over the past number of years as my symptoms grew, changed, developed, I was put on anti-depressants, Adderall (for focus and mental clarity), Vyvanse for the same thing- just longer acting, Clonezepan for sleep, muscle aches, anxiety, and the list goes on.

It will be nice to see me slowly get off of all of these drugs. The antidepressants in the past were a life saver for me, and I understand how it doesn't work for others, or the caution regarding them. If I can get treated naturally, with supplements, hormones, etc. and get in balance that is my ultimate goal.

I watched the You Tube video on Dr. Terry Wahl's regarding how she treated her MS, and is doing amazing. It was very inspirational and also reminded me how vital it is to eat good healthy foods...extremely..

I feel that if I can implement even part of what she does daily, green foods, colorful fruits, I real feel those foods can help heal, protect and get rid of the toxins in my body.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I do personally have a strong faith, and I praise God for today and I thank Him for having you all to lean on in tough times.

And Fuel1212, although I do have days and sometimes longer of feeling really depressed, I am determined to fight this with everything in me and use what I can and is helpful to destroy these hateful microscopic bugs.

As I have learned and you all have said, everyone's treatment is unique and we have to find what works for us. Thank you again for your feedback.

And Razzle, which remedies was helpful for your family, and how often and how did they use them? Ex. Directly on skin, under nose, temples, or in the air with a candle lit,..??

Sorry for the long reply...you all, if you made it through the whole thing must be exhausted.. I'll work on shortening them, also how to communicate better. [Smile]

Posts: 167 | From Southeast Tennessee/Chattanooga/Atlanta | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering ... do you suffer with anxiety too? Panic attacks? Do you know how long you have had Lyme? My Mom has neurological Lyme, and she wasn't so much depressed, as jittery and anxious a lot.

Lexapro seemed to help her a lot. And a nurse practitioner friend who works with geriatric dementia patients says the SSRIs can be very helpful.

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-63990-Lexapro+Oral.aspx?drugid=63990&drugname=Lexapro+Oral&source=2

But Mom got "strung out" on Ativan ... which is a benzodiazepine. Xanax is another. They can stop working and cause you to want more and more to get relief - and they can be a bugger to kick ... so I'd stay away from any of these drugs if I could avoid it.

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-6685-Ativan+Oral.aspx?drugid=6685&drugname=Ativan+Oral&source=2

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-9824-Xanax+Oral.aspx?drugid=9824&drugname=Xanax+Oral&source=2

Hopefully, your LLMD can work with you on this.

Have you tried taking magnesium supplements? Many here seem to report that Lyme drains the body's magnesium. It has a calming effect (I use it for muscle cramps) and can help with mood.

Sounds like you have a great Doc - which is at least half the battle. Wish you the best!

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rivendell
Member # 19922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivendell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a little something that might help per Stephen Buhner (buhner protocal).

Japanese Knotweed can help with depression and anxiety as it treats neurological lyme.

The combination of eleuthero (siberian ginseng), ashwagandha and rhodiola can help with depression, anxiety, stress and inbalances with the adrenal pituitary and hypothalmic axis, which occurs with Lyme.

This combination sure helps me to feel better balanced and less depressed and anxious. Also found the knotweed very helpful - but only in small dosages. It can lower blood pressure, and you get dizzy standing. So do I.

Glad you are taking the fish oil and other things.

And glad you are seeing progress with a therapist.

Follow what you feel is right.

Good luck!

Oh, just remembered. If you get dizzy because blood pressure drops while standing, licorice root can help with that. Check you blood pressure now and then, because it can raise your blood pressure overall. If it does, just lower dosage or stop it for a couple days, then start with a lower dosage.

Posts: 1358 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anissahope4healing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anissahope4healing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your feedback.

Aunt Lynn, I was on Ativan last year and I used it for quite awhile, it helped me sleep at night but I felt very hung over the next day. And I noticed after being on it for awhile it started to affect my memory (listed as a side effect but I guess could hv been my infection).

In regards to anxiety, I do get anxious at times and worry. It's strange because I use to love being around people out in public and with friends, and I have noticed over the last number of years how I have gradually isolated myself. I wonder if it is from the bacteria and whatever else is in me?? Not sure, but I will keep trying things while killing all the nasty bugs inside of me.

But you are right about our body getting use to it, or building a tolerance. I have tried Lexapro before and it didn't work for me, but thank you for letting me know what helped your Mom. And I will check out the website.

Rivendell, is there a particular company you use that has quality ingredients? I hv been reading to check for pharmaceutical grade, sorry and something else which certifies that the product has been produced in a quality facility.

And if you know of the blend or amounts of each herb and can tell me which worked for you, that would be great. I will read about Buhner's protocol. Thank you!

whitmore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whitmore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never found any of the 'natural' things to be effective.

I take Zoloft at quite a high dose and it does help. I am going to be asking my psychiatrist to switch me to Pritiq or Savella to help with my current fibro flare. I also believe that P and S are more activating, which would be good for me currently.

It mystifies me why people are fine with being on ABX's for years, yet balk at being on antidepressants which can make one's whole outlook better. They are non-addictive, though have to be tapered slowly during weaning off.

Also, if you know you are sensitive to medications, start very slowly. I took Prozac years ago and started with 1 drop of the liquid. At 2 mg, I found it effective(normal dose 20 to 40 mg!!)

Sue

Posts: 226 | From Princeton | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anissahope4healing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39221

Thank you Sue for your feedback.

I have this one doctor that is an Osteopath (I didn't know what that was originally), - MD who also uses vitamins and nutrition, etc. shouldn't they all do that? ... Sorry, anyways, he has a doctorate in pharmacology and doesn't like to use conventional meds unless necessary.

He will prescribe antibiotics, and some antidepressants- he said it depended on how they are compounded..I think he means made, like their molecular breakdown.

So, when I went to see him quite awhile back, he said he would like to see me wean off of the adderral and vyvanse, but he was fine with the Welbutrin and seemed fine with Buspar. Another physician prescribed me the stimulants for my "focus, brain fog, and fatigue".. Now I know those symptoms are from the bacteria and whatever else is in me.

I know everyone is different, physically, mentally, etc. But an antidepressant has helped me in the past and is helping me now.

Yes there were some that didn't work for me, and some had strange side effects, so I tried something else. And for quite awhile before my "Lyme" diagnosis, Celexa and Buspar kept me functioning.

I had to take care of my elderly father who is diabetic, incontinent, my two boys, and say hi to my husband somewhere in between- but they kept me functioning.

I would love to be able at some point to wean off of all drugs, but for now, I am doing and seeking and open to 'anything' that can help.

I did receive a B-12 injection because it was low, and my Vit D is still low and I am taking 5,000 units from Metagenics everyday. I read that having low levels in just those two vitamins alone can cause depression, lethargy, etc.

So, I think it is wise for all of us, if we can, whether through insurance, or financially, have our Vit levels checked, anything we can so our body has what it needs just to function...so, we probably need to be on the high end. (and my testosterone was in the single digits- not good).

And I have had to force myself to make healthier food choices- I saw a link and clicked on it on this forum for Dr. Terry Wahl- minding your mitochondria. But it sure helped give me a good kick - in a good way about how what we eat does affect us.

If any of you haven't read her story, it is inspirational. She was diagnosed with having degenerative MS, and being a doctor herself went to the best MS Hospital in Cleveland, but the meds they gave her were not helping. And they told her that she would end up being bedridden and the prognosis was dim.

So since she had the medical background, and knew that nothing out there now can help her, she researched like crazy on the Internet and found lots of research on what vitamins, minerals, etc. helped mice protect their myelin and ultimately their mitochondria.

So she started to treat herself with supplements, and it slowed her progression. Then she said, why don't I lookup what foods have these nutrients in it. And there wasn't anything she learned in med school that had that information,mso she turned to the Internet again, and found foods like kale, spinach, etc. cabbage, that had the vitamins, antioxidants, and more.

Within a year she is now walking and still teaching at Iowa University (I think). But, it showed me how food is significant for our brains, immune system etc.

I am implementing a little bit everyday of nutritious food, like a salad, fresh berries, and do what I can. I need to do it for my children especially- so I am looking for healthy recipes for them- chicken nuggets, fries, etc. is a recipe for poor health and disease later. I know it's not realistic to change over night, but small positive ones along the way is possible and won't be overwhelming.

So I hope with all of the information that is out there, we can help ourselves through nutrition, meds as we need them, herbs, and so on.

Today, I am feeling better. I was able to get plenty of good sleep (with help of sleep meds), trying to eat well, eat every few hours for my hypoglycemia, drink water, continue in my treatment.

I also have found when my allergies are bad, I am as a result feeling bad, emotionally and physically. So, we are making changes to have a healthier indoor environment. BTW, at Walgreens they were having a major close out sale and selling allergy bed mattress encasings for $5! My husband texted me and he bought everything, king mattress, twin, pillow cases,- so that was incredible. I feel each thing we can do to improve anything in our or our surroundings will help us physically and emotionally continue on this battle of killing these bacteria, parasites, etc. in us.

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Antidepressants have so many devastating side-effects, even if just dry eye & dry mouth (for many). Dry mouth can lead to gum, jaw bone & tooth loss, really. And heart disease, too. Seriously. Anything that contributes to dry mouth should be avoided, when at all possible.

Dry eyes can invite trouble, too.

Many antidepressants CAUSE dizziness and balance trouble.

You say that you are dizzy now and that could get worse. (Ask your LLMD for a Tilt-Table test, and if they think you should see an neurotologist (ear and neuro specialist) but be sure the recommendation comes from your LLMD).

They can be very hard on the liver and also really mess with the brain, I found out the hard way. I will never take one again. Effexor and Zanax may have destroyed my ability to be around people - I hope not forever but it may be.

Hyperacusis was a major trauma from Effexor - and later that got worse with Zanax (which I had been given for panic attacks long before I found out they were lyme-caused).

I also was given just about every antidepressant on the market at one time or other around 1994 - 1997. Not one helped. They all made me MUCH worse.

OTOXICITY that comes with many antidepressants can damage ears and balance in all kinds of way. Please, it's just not worth the risk.

As lyme or other toxic infections can be the CAUSE, treat infections, heavy metals / parasites.

LIVER SUPPORT is also vital as a stressed liver can cause severe mood trouble.

MASSAGE, ACUPUNCTURE are also very helpful.

Although home-bound and unable to really be in life as I'd like, and of course, disappointed, etc. Sure, I have sadness and the exhaustion and huddles of this illness "set" are huge - so I do feel depression at times but I can pretty well sort it out and say, "well, sure, that makes sense" and then eat sardines, rest, or make other corrective action to ride the tide.

So, while I can experience deep emotions that I'd rather not, I'm not depressed. Somehow, it's possible to juggle the full range of emotions (and even the sadness I see around the globe).

I attribute that to putting it all in perspective and understanding how toxicity works against me, the lack of any processed foods & gluten, and getting good nutrients but mostly herbal supplements. Many are wonderful mood support.

The most important:

Addrenal support is absolutely essential, first and always for anyone with any mood stress

Magnesium, too

B-vitamins

Fish Oil (OmegaBrite)- vital

Berberine has good medical posts as helpful to lessen depression.

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=121034;p=0

BERBERINE � LINKS SET

How to find a LL ND (naturopathic doctor), etc. included here.
-

[ 11-08-2012, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
GREEN TEA, too: KUKICHA,& TULSI are good starters.

Be sure all mugs, pots, etc. are lead-free and cadmium-free, though (as should be all dishes and cookware)

Some safe ceramic dinnerware and tea pots:

www.EmersonCreekPottery.com - made in Virginia;

www.Chantal.com has safe mugs and wonderful infuser mugs, too, though not US made.

FiestaWare (HomerLaughlin) is safe, made in U.S. but very heavy so start with one piece and see how that works for you.

ForLife CURVE infuser mug is safe. Not sure where that is made.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
OTOTOXICITY LINKS here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS

------------

So, often a drop in mood is a sign of THYROID or ADRENAL dysfunction. And mood can be affected by liver & kidney stress.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.

To help with endurance stability, & thereby, mood stability:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
My mood also increased when I started eating good quality fish and meat again (after being vegetarian for 18 years).

At that time, I didn't even know what Taurine is or that my diet was nearly devoid of taurine, and that brought damage. Any one who is vegan or vegetarian must supplement with Taurine and B-12.

Now, many can do well with a vegan or vegetarian diet. And, whether one eats meat / fish / eggs or not, LOTS and LOTS of colorful vegetables should always be the main attraction at every meal, even breakfast - and snacks.

Legumes can be the main protein source of many meals, too. Very nutritious and help to balance blood sugar (as does BLACK, RED, WILD RICE).

Blood sugar shifts can also cause mood shifts, BTW.

And - just in case you take CYTOMEL - THAT can cause major drops when it wears off. Dangerous drops in mood from that nearly cost me my life.

Still, my body just did not do well without fish & meat at least once a day - or without great quality fats and enough protein. I had no idea, really, what good nutrition really meant.

The best mood support: SARDINES; WILD SALMON. From safe sources, so Google for that. Wild Planet Sardines are clean.

-
http://icmr.nic.in/ijmr/2006/august/0804.pdf

THE REQUIREMENTS OF PROTEIN & AMINO ACID DURING ACUTE & CHRONIC INFECTIONS

Indian J Med Res 124, August 2006, pp 129-148

- by Anura V. Kurpad

Fifteen pages of text.

Excerpt from abstract on page one:

. . . In general, the amount of extra protein that would appear to be needed is of the order of 20-25 per cent of the recommended intake, for most infections. . . .

-----------------

FOOD ADDITIVES and PROCESSED FOODS can cause depression, too. How:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors;

GMO foods that destroy the GI Tract; Gluten; Dairy.
-

whitmore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whitmore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler:

It's wonderful that you can control your mood by natural means and if you can, you should. And yes, there are side-effects from antidepressants.

But in my time on these boards I've seen two suicides reported. I don't know if these people were medicated but it would be tragic if they were not.

Do I like being on antidepressants? No, of course not, nobody does. But I take them for my family, to work, to function and to take away the crushing feelings of hopelessness that I experience without them. I've started treating hormone issues, so maybe one day I'll be off them, but better on them than dead(if only for my children).

Remember, depression can be just as fatal as lyme disease.

Sue

Posts: 226 | From Princeton | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anissahope4healing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39221

Thank you all for your feedback.

I am curious, and I am anticipating different answers, but did you guys de-Tox while taking antibiotics?

I am trying to add one thing or take away one thing at a time, so I can hopefully see what is affecting me positively or negatively.

But I am feeling that an easing into it, like Epson Salt Bath with Hydrogen Peroxide, in warm water is good and beneficial in many ways.

I was reading about Detox-Max Plus from my LLMD, and he suggests to take it slow and it may help breakdown biofilms (possibly) as well.

This whole thing sure can be or I should say is very complex. I forgot to add that I am taking milk thistle and I definitely want to support my liver and adrenals.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
whitmore,

Regarding suicidal inclination and antidepressants, often, with the Rx, suicide impulses are far worse. Sure was for me. I barely lived through them. I cannot describe how they made me very suicidal. Oddly, that is a side-effect of various kinds.

They may work for some, and not for others - and really not for others. To me, they were all just so toxic and messed with my brain terribly, even at tiny, tiny doses.

And I know I'm far from alone with that reaction.

Guess the bottom line is if they help, great.

But learn all possible about each Rx first, address the underlying causes first, and be on board with liver and adrenal support. If the Rx is not the answer, just ease off and don't push it but know there is another answer, somehow.

If the underlying reasons are addressed, wonderful results can be seen. Wish I had known that before I threw 3 years of my life away TRYING to make various antidepressants work.

During that time, on one antidepressant or another, I called the suicide prevention line so many times they told me to stop calling. Really. That intense suicidal drive was driven by antidepressants - in my case.

But, again, suicidal drive IS a side-effect of some antidepressants and few really know that can happen. If may not for everyone, of course, but when I was the one with no clue about that side-effect, it nearly cost me my life and it did cost 3 years of sheer misery.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Dr. Mercola poses several important considerations & suggestions for this very important topic.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/02/15/why-are-more-than-one-in-ten-americans-at-risk-for-suicide.aspx

Why Are More than One in Ten Americans at Risk for Suicide?

February 15 2012

Antidepressants are Often Ineffective and May Increase Your Suicidal Tendencies
-

[ 11-08-2012, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on a low dose antidepressant - I crashed very hard after the birth of my last child,

6 years ago, no clue about Lyme - I was so full of anxiety.
Went to a regular Dr. for help. It helped a some.
I needed 'some' help.

Anyway, been on it ever since- my LLMD recommend I not try and get off it at this point.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I strongly agree with the poster above, Whitmore. While it's great that some people can take care of their depression, anxiety, etc. with natural means, not everyone can---esp with Lyme & company!

As Whitmore said, it is far better to take an antidepressant or anti-anxiety med than to commit suicide, or to feel like committing suicide. The meds don't cause suicide for everyone by a long shot.

Whoever was saying that Anissa should go off the Wellbutrin, that is irresponsible. I know you meant well, but now is not the time to do that. We are not doctors (most of us), and we are not her doctor. So no one should be making such a pronouncement.

In terms of the dizziness and not being able to sit up, you probably have very low blood pressure, and quite possibly Neurally Mediated Hypotension. Florinef is given for that, and it helps enormously. Ask your LLMD about it.

IN the meantime, taking a lot of good quality salt helps, along with the licorice.

Please folks, use more discretion in your opinions on psych meds. What didn't work for you, may be necessary for others. As Whitmore said, no one likes having to take these meds. But it is far better than being dead or wanting to be dead (or so depressed you can't function).

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thought, Anissa, with your neurological symptoms---word slurring, memory problems---I wonder if IV antibiotics aren't the best choice for you now. You could discuss it with your LLMD. But he may want to start you on orals, and see how you respond first.
Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LSG Scott
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LSG Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you should watch this before you take them for any real length of time like more than 10 days

pt1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Q1MkDbVEU
pt2. http://youtu.be/hdau5o-Rvw4
pt3. http://youtu.be/A9Q6QL7MStE
pt4. http://youtu.be/nw22OubTpc4
pt5. http://youtu.be/hv0Wy_cgqEU

http://youtu.be/UDlH9sV0lHU

good luck

--------------------
LSG Scott

Posts: 513 | From Boston, Cape Cod, Mass | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LSG Scott
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LSG Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good luck and as always keep your doctor in the loop is how that last post was suppose to end

thanks

--------------------
LSG Scott

Posts: 513 | From Boston, Cape Cod, Mass | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anissahope4healing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39221

Thanks everyone. I wanted to let you guys know, thankfully I have had some relief.

Today is the first day, my head feels somewhat clear. And I don't feel so down and heavy emotionally.

My speech is improving and some of the other symptoms, but I am grateful it is moving in a positive direction. Also my lightheaded ness has decreased.

And I understand the pro's and con's to treating depression, and we all are unique. I came across this pyshichiatrists' blog last year http://carlatpsychiatry.blogspot.com/

When I was researching about medications, I found that although she is a psychiatrist, she is very passionate about exposing pharmaceutical companies/politics/greed/research trials when they are faulty and skewed, to benefit the pharmaceutical companies and doctors, who get paid to endorse their "new" pill.

Researching this area has shown me that like in anything with healthcare, there is the good, bad, and ugly. Right now Wellbutrin has helped me and so has increasing my Vit D, B, C, Iodine, and others levels.

One person ALWAYS needs to proceed with caution when adding a new medication, herb, etc. And since we are all different, the new med can be helpful or to the other extreme have significant side effects.

As we have seen on this thread, anti-depressants have helped many, and the others it has not. I feel what is important here is to share, which you have, what has helped you when you were feeling depressed.

Again, I appreciate all of your feedback and am happy to know that you all were able to find what helped you the most. Thank you for the encouragement.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement