LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » The Irony of a Western Blot - Quest

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Irony of a Western Blot - Quest
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many of you know my endless search for what is ailing me. One of my doctors recently ordered a Lyme Western Blot from Quest Diagnostics.

I have had several of these over the years. Never CDC positive. Igenex found a good number of bands 3 yrs ago on the IgM side, but not enough to be CDC positive The 23 band was +++ and others, but not the two needed to be CDC positive. My IgG side at Igenex had 4 positives and 4 IND..again not CDC positive, but Igenex positive.

Usually all other 'mill labs' never find anything. Quest now shows I'm reactive to band 23 on the IgM side, but not to 39 or 41. They show I'm reactive to 41 on the IgG side, but no others. Pretty ironic they aren't paired together.

What a darn tricky scenario all the time. I have never had a regular lab find 23 before...makes me wonder.

However, my EBV titers were also very, very high. Not the IgM side, but IgG and also the Early Antigen number was up at 1:320. Normal was <1:10.

Is this a viral attack or Lyme? My Babesia WA-1 titer jumped from 1:256 to 1:512 recently. Normal is <1:256.

I HATE THIS STUFF. lol.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
seekhelp~

I'd treat what is most obviously wrong, and that seems to be EBV. Lyme may or may not be an issue but you could continue to try to treat that too.

Regarding Babesia WA1, any titer can easily vary that much so it didn't really "jump". That is normal variation. If it moves up or down several dilutions (not just one) then that is more meaningful.

Good luck. I hate this stuff too.

Best, Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been wondering about band 23 all of a sudden showing up. About 6 months ago band 23 was positive on my WB from labcorp.

That was the first any band ever showed up from them. I had lyme specific bands from Igenex in the past but like you always one band shy or so from cdc positive.

I noticed on here around the time I had the positive 23 band, quite a few others did too. No other positive bands.

My first thought was they're just learning to read them and started with band 23. [Big Grin]

Have you had your immune system checked? Total IgG, subclasses 1,2,3 and 4?
I had very high EBV titers also but it showed active but resolving.

These things will surface when your immune system is down and we know how well lyme and company knock our immune systems.

--------------------
2 Corinthians 12:9-11

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had astronomically high EBV titers every time we've tested them ...both of the LLMDs I've seen feel this is secondary to Lyme. (I had an unequivocal positive WB thru Igenex)

That said, Valtrex has helped immensely when I've taken it -- particularly with fatigue, but also with the overall symptom picture.

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement