LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Candidas resistant to Nystatin?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Candidas resistant to Nystatin?
desertwind
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can Candidas become resistant to Nystatin?

I feel like I am having a yeast flare up but have been on Nystatin for a while now. Started back up on abx.s 2 weeks ago and now my gut looks like I swollowed a balloon and a 5lb. weight gain for no reason.I have not changed a thing in regards to diet.

Wondering if I should switch over to herbal anti-fungals for a while? Can Nystatin stop working after a while? Thanks DW

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nystatin stopped working for me totally. I even took a 6 month break and tried again with no luck.

I can totally sympathize with the balloon look. After a total abdominal ultrasound, I finally got some difulcan which really helped.

Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure.

your DIET is the biggest issue

You may need to ask your Dr for some Diflucan for a bit.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Candida Diet and Elimination:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021412.html

Another Candida Diet list:
http://www.thecandidadiet.com/foodstoavoid.htm

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do have some Diflucan and took one tonight. Can't believe my typically flat tummy looks prego!

Is this yeast thing going to be a life long endevour????

Thanks for the links Lymetoo! DW

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nystatin helps to prevent yeast, but once you get it, it cannot cure it. You need diflucan for that.
Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

desertwind... I am still struggling with yeast 8 yrs after being off antibiotics for Lyme.

I know others who are in the same boat. So take care of yourself to the max!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

beths
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can yeast cause vomiting and nausea.?
Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Definitely can cause nausea. Look at the second link above. Then look for a symptoms list there.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There has to be a way that we can re build our gut flora to where it was before we killed everything with abx. I wonder if all of Dr. Burrascano's patients restored their guts? So far, I think TF is the only one. At least the only one on this blog I know of.

I imagine that people who just did herbs and never touched abx don't have the same gut/yeast issues we do. I do remember having yeast before I ever touched abx, but I could still eat real food back then. That makes me think there has to be a way to do this (I'm off abx).

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Desertwind, I forgot to mention that compounded nystatin works much better than the pills (much more expensive though). But the diflucan should kill your current yeast issue. Diflucan quit working for me after long term use, however, I just tried it again and it's working, thank god. Otherwise, the herbal supplements help, along with more probiotics.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I may have really messed up by not taking Florastor during and after treatment. I don't know. I'm like you, I had yeast when I began Lyme treatment.

My yeast is worse now than when I was in treatment for Lyme.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

But the liquid contains sugar....or does she mean it's compounded without sugar?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Catgirl
Member # 31149

I get mine from a compounding pharmacy that does it in powdered form (I told them absolutely no sugar). It has to be refrigerated though. Compounding pharmacies are awesome--they will make stuff specifically tailored to your needs.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Catgirl.. how do you take it? I've always heard that it's nasty in the powdered form. (?)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

desertwind
Member # 25256

I felt like I had the yeast under control until I went back on abx.s. Within 2 weeks things got out of hand again...Now I cannot tell what is yeast and what is lyme.

I am on a week regimine of Dif and adding all my herbal antifungals and upping my pro.s.

Lymetoo; 8 years? Serioulsy???

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend from the Lyme chat said that this product worked for him for yeast:
Phytostan 90 Tabs Integrative Therapeutics
http://www.crohns.net/page/C/PROD/ITI2000

Amazon has a couple reviews for it.
http://www.amazon.com/Integrative-Therapeutics-Phytostan-90-Tablets/dp/B0011045GI/

He wondered why his doctor didn't just tell him to take it first, instead of trying three other things.
It has caprylic acid, undecylenic acid, grapefruit extract, Pau D'Arco.
Another friend told me that Pau D'Arco worked for her.

Also, look into Lufenuron.
http://lufenuroncandidacure.owndoc.com/

LymeNet thread here.

Try Kefir to repopulate your gut with the good bacteria.
I make it with the starter powder, very easy.
I no longer have SBD's, haha.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

I just mix it with something cold, or wrap it in a small piece of lettuce and chew it up. It doesn't tastes that bad (a little sweet).

--------------------

desertwind
Member # 25256

Thanks Carol in Pa....

I JUST started on Pau D' Arco tinture today along with GSE, OOO and OLE. About an hour after taking this combo I starting getting twitchy on my lip, ringing ears and numb feeling on my face and head.

Something that has helped me with yeast die-off in the past has been Molybendeum.

I sooo want to be done with abx.'s at this point and just stay on herbs...

Catgirl
Member # 31149

What specifically does Molybendeum do?

--------------------

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Great link Carol! Has anyone tried the lufenuron?

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Thanks, Catgirl. Sounds yucky.

desert.. yep

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Indica440
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Indica440     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES it can. nystatin did NOTHING for me when i started my first candida therapy after 6 months of abx with useless (damn DOCTOR who sold me them!) probiotics. i was a newby at this time.... frickin idiots!
Posts: 141 | From cali | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

My understanding is that Molybendeum helps the body process the various toxins that is left behind when the yeast is killed off.

I have used it off and on over the past 2 years with pretty good results.

I am done with abx.s..I really mean it this time!

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Right on Desertwind!

--------------------

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Lymetoo, you can always mix it with a nut butter and some alternative milk. I used to do that but now I just put it on something cold, or let my food cool down and put it on part of it.

--------------------

JeniferM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JeniferM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love this quote from the Lufenuron website that was posted above: "It works on people too, but we're not allowed to market this for human use by the FDA, but it would be OK to buy it for your pet Gorilla."

Hahahaha!

--------------------
IgM: [18++,31+++,34++,41++,83-93+] [39 IND]
IgG: [41 IND]
Positive according to IGeneX. Negative according to CDC. Negative for co-infections.
Currently treating for Lyme, Bartonella, Babesia

Posts: 225 | From Minnesota | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I do love their humor on that site! [Big Grin]

--thanks, Catgirl!--

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think most of us have candida before we even begin treatment, due to the compromised immune system. Diet is key, but that alone didn't do it for me -- I had to be on Diflucan or Ketoconazole the entire time I was on antibiotics.

It took me 3 years to heal my gut after that, even still.

Coconut oil has been a godsend for me with keeping yeast at bay, and with health in general.

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by minimonkey:
I think most of us have candida before we even begin treatment, due to the compromised immune system.

Perhaps the compromised immune system is why we get chronic Lyme to begin with.

Why is it that some get ticks on them all the time and never get Lyme and others get Lyme so easily?

Mold, metals, chemicals and toxins... and the inability to detox properly because detox pathways are clogged due to over burden of toxins and in part... genetics.

I believe that if more people had access to effective detox and nutritional cleansing... we would have less chronic illness.

"All disease begins in the gut." ~Hippocrates

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garden
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DAN practioners generally recommend rotating anti-fungals, due to resistance.

They'll say you need heavy probiotics, antifungals, biofilm busters, and a clean diet.

Healing the gut lining and restoring proper gut flora are related but distinct issues.

Quercetin, glutamine, and stock prepared traditionally (check out Nourishing Traditions cookbook) can help heal the gut. You also need to make sure you are getting a form of B12 that your body can adsorb (many require the methyl form and an alternative delivery system).

We all need to restore gut flora balance (good bacteria up, bad bacteria and candida down) and also heal the gut (soothe inflammation, rebuild gut lining).

--------------------
Garden

"Fibromylagia" for 8+ years
Pos IgeneX WB per both Igenex and CDC
Pos Neuroscience MyLymeImmuneID
Started tx for Lyme in March 2011

Posts: 245 | From East Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Right on Minimonkey!

I'm with Garden (rotating anti fungals and everything else she said). I became immune to diflucan this year. I went off of it for a few months and now it works again.

I'm starting to think yeast is at the heart of lyme (due to parasites). I started craving sugar after my last few tick bites.

Glutamine, aloe and DGL can heal the gut. I try not to take glutamine very often though, as I read somewhere that it feeds cancers.

--------------------

desertwind
Member # 25256

I like the idea of rotating as well. I am adding back in a few herbals that I stopped taking a few months ago when I started Nystatin. They seem to be working again! Within 3 days my balloon stomach is down.

I am doing Diflican on an everyother day schedule for a week. LLMD suggested adding back in Nystatin after a few weeks.

I herxed pretty bad from coconut oil. I did not realize it kills yeast and made this yummy coconut dish with cloves and garlic. Next day I was having a bad a** yeast and parasite herx.

I actually use coconut shampoo and conditioner and that helps to calm my scalp issues down.

I have found slippery elm to be very good for my stomach - has a very calming effect.

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Desertwind, I was surprised to find some herbs started working for me again too. I guess it's important to rotate everything.

I'm trying diflucan every three days and using the herbs in between. I'm just so happy that it works again. :) I'm going to check out slippery elm (thanks!).

--------------------

GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as the toxic metals are still there, the fungi is still wrapped up in the biofilm and we can diet all we want, nothing will succeed unless we detox down to a level where our body does not grow new fungi to protect us from the damage being caused by toxic metals.

When the metals are detoxed, the fungi will also depart.

www.klinghardtacademny.com Pull up the article called Heavy Metals and Chronic Disease. Pay attn to the third paragraph, where the relation metals/fungi is explained. Published in about 1995. It is still true today - our body still functions the same way.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

GiGI; Thanks for the link. My LLMD wants to start working on detoxing metals soon. I am allergic to most of the detox methods so we are trying to figure out what to do.

I will check out the link...

Bitten in Bergen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bitten in Bergen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gigi - that's so disconcerting about the metals. I have a mouth full of amalgams and I can't imagine getting them all removed while I'm trying to treat the lyme & co. Or, should I?

I've read that I can't do any detox if I don't remove the amalgams FIRST. Ugh.

Posts: 348 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beths
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Certain strands of yeast-candida krusei for one is resistant to Diflucan. However, berberine and coptis will kill it.

Candicid forte, phellostatin and a few other herbal anti-fungals contain berberine/coptis. Many Chinese anti-yeast pills also contain these herbs.

To those who keep getting yeast-rotate these herbs in and see if it helps. You should also rotate your yeast meds.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21272859

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nystatin pills did nothing for me....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TF:
Nystatin helps to prevent yeast, but once you get it, it cannot cure it. You need diflucan for that.

Really??? I just saw a new LLNP and she prescribed nystatin due to my blood work showing candida [confused]
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Ellen101:
quote:
Originally posted by TF:

Really??? I just saw a new LLNP and she prescribed nystatin due to my blood work showing candida [confused] [/qb]
-
I totally agree.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Lymetoo, can Florastor help you now?

--------------------

n.northernlights
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n.northernlights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the Boron websites they keep mentioning candida, and that there are several thousand strains of candida

Boron is supposed to help with candida

Posts: 366 | From Europe | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Catgirl.. I seem to get constipated with s.boulardii .. I'll try one more time. (sigh)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

desertwind
Member # 25256

Biotin is another thing to try/consider.

I just added Byron White A-FNG. I cannot take s. boulardi either due to yeast allergy....

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement