LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme blood culture results

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme blood culture results
lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

Icon 7 posted      Profile for lost11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well triple YAY. I finally got my culture results.. I had the most in depth one.. And it was a big NEGATIVE.. Super excited. This is a pretty darn accurate test so I'm content to know.. No more Lyme in me.
Posts: 267 | From South | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beths
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What test?
Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
derk diggler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for derk diggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ya, how do you get that test

--------------------
+++++++
do i have lyme, please comment, derealisation,anxiety,floaters,hypertension,tinnitus,dizziness,minor aches,igenix results,igm,**83-93ind,igg**41++ what do u think,please comment

Posts: 195 | From california | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's accurate and fool proof IF IT CAME BACK POSITIVE. A negative does NOT mean you couldn't have it.

Sorry.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lost11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm. No lymetoo. If it grows the spirocetes ya have it if not ya don't. Confirmed by lab and LLMD. My other tests were not adding up. What ever I had is gone. I highly recommend this test to figure things out. 695.00 bucks advanced labs. Your doc can order with the exception of NY state at this time.
Posts: 267 | From South | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that's not what my understanding of it was. But if you're happy... you're happy!

Let me do some more checking...

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/120763?#000000

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/120826?

Read what JenniferMN said here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/119908?#000000

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joahsark
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joahsark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo is correct. If it's positive it is for sure a positive, if it is negtive it does not mean you don't have Lyme, it means there wasn't any in that particular blood draw. Just had mine too and confirmed this through my LLMD and Advanced Labs.
Posts: 219 | From pacific nw | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think its dangerous to think that someone is infected no matter what. There are so many other reasons a person may have symptoms such as mold, parasites, co-infections, heavy metal toxicity etc.. That is why a professional opinion is so important. So many on here are treating with a negative test thinking that this is what they have and then keep treating because symptoms from inflammation from chronic antibiotic use are mistaken for lyme symptoms.
Advanced labs testing is supposed to be some.of the best testing available.

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoops123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoops123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with lymetoo.
Posts: 749 | From State full of ticks | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lost11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen for you Lululy. I feel like every time I share something about a test here I'm lashed out at with well its only negative if its positive... I think you know what I mean. How negative that is. Be thankful folks that advanced has come up with such a test, and be thankful that work is being done to improve testing. Also.. Please realize that NOT every ache, pain, headache or some other feeling is LYME. My goodness.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

No lashing. Just warning.

Take it with a grain of salt. If you don't want the info, then don't worry about it.

Be happy you are well!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

I am happy. And honestly this site has a ton of negative and people who just think they are doctors with their advice. That's too bad. The over use of ABX I've read about to really creeps me out, that can not be healthy. I think I've made myself clear.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Thanks for the criticism. Makes me feel good about helping others.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

All I was trying to say is that not every test is false and not in every case is Lyme the culprit. :-)
lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

Thank you, thank you to the many that wrote me about the over use of ABX. Nice to hear you agree. :-)
soccermama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccermama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is important to view things in balance. Everyone knows that there is much more research that needs to be done.

According to alot of LLMD's lyme triggers an inflammatory response that may remain after the infection is gone.

Also, the effects of treatment i.e. antibiotics need to be addressed.

I think most doctors are taking a two-pronged approach which is treating for the infection while building the immune system so that our bodies eventually destroy the infection without the use of antibiotics.

Tests results are not the gold standard necessarily. I think it is important to look at symptoms. How are you feeling? That to me is the key.

Posts: 538 | From kentucky | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

I'd agree.. On the how are you feeling part, but what I read around here from to many is they think everything is Lyme related. Seriously.. That's just not right. You have to look at age, gender, your genetics.. Its more than just my head hurts the Bart is back. Or I'm feeling crappy cause I must be in relapse with babs. Come on already.. Really? Personally I'm at an age where hormones are a factor. So that headache or headaches near my cycle and sleep that's off.. That's not Lyme.. Its hormones shifting and that does not need a LLMD or an ABX to fix. Testing does leave many questions.. I think sometimes to many. Honestly..its the whole picture here that counts. Even emotions. If your more prone to be negative, your not going to feel at your best. So do you see what I'm saying? I've just read things on here that seem crazy. Like every little ache its back to Lyme. I think those that do theyreally need mental help more so than anything else.
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a bazillion antibiotics over the past year for clinical Lyme and many co-infections. I only got sicker and sicker.

I ended up with sepsis, and now liver problems (bile in my urine and elevated liver enzymes), a resistent strain of UTI infection...AND an immune system that didn't even try to fight any of this off.

What gives?

I don't know what's actually going wrong with my body. But after a year of antiobiotics, if it was purely a bacterial infection, I should have seen some progress.

Very depressing to go broke treating this disease and getting no where. I still have the same symptoms I started with, now with a new set of serious problems added to it.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hopeny
Member # 35984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hopeny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry this is off topic but lax mom is there a relation between sepsis and anitibiotics or was your sepsis unrelated? I saw another post about recognizing sepsis. Thank you and I hope you get well
Posts: 92 | From New Yorl | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have no idea how the sepsis started. I think it's all related. My immune system was compromised by all of the infections and treatment.

I was on a billion antibiotics, so resistent bacteria could easily form. Also, lots of other infections can hide because it feels like herxes or Lyme symptoms.

So, going back to lost11's post, everything symptom isn't always Lyme.

Antibiotic resistance is no joke. I always thought of resistance in terms of Lyme. Other small bugs in our bodies can get resistant to abx because of Lyme treatment.

This is all very depressing.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

I'm sorry LAX mom. I hope your better. There is a very big link to getting sepsis from ABX. I've read it on the inserts of a Zpack. Sepis can kill quick. IMO.. Those who treat with over loads of ABX are really asking for it. Its to bad.
Summer3
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you have to put the risks of long-term antibiotics in perspective though. Untreated or under-treated Lyme and co-infections certainly has it's own risks. Many of those risks can be disabling and sometimes even fatal.

Herbs can have risks as well. For some of us, long-term treatment (whether through herbs or abx) is the only thing protecting us from relapses and progression.

As someone who was completely anti-medication prior to contracting Lyme, I have NO problem using abx long-term based on the amount of research I've done on the topic.

I agree that every symptom should not be immediately attributed to Lyme and co. Especially if you have known comorbidities. However, I think it's risky to ignore returning symptoms for too long and allow Lyme to completely relapse instead of getting on top of things right away.

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an interesting thread. I often wonder if there is something that I have been missing with regard to my illness - that is beyond lyme.

I am wondering if a different problem may have caused my hearing loss and subsequent neuro symptoms besides lyme disease.

My Western Blot never tested positive - and was identical when I tested again a year later after ABX for 1 year.

IGG - positive for 41 and indeterminate for 39. IGM - positive for 41, 18, and indeterminate for 39.

Antibodies for herpes, anaplasmosis, and RMSF all showed up, but apparently are no longer active.

Just wondering if my immune system was able to fight lyme and co. for years until something happened to upset it. Mold? Reaction to dental work? Reaction to flu vaccine? Parasites from contaminated well water? It is all a mystery.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

quote:
Originally posted by dbpei:

Just wondering if my immune system was able to fight lyme and co. for years until something happened to upset it. Mold? Reaction to dental work? Reaction to flu vaccine? Parasites from contaminated well water? It is all a mystery.

I wonder the same thing.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

lax mom
Member # 38743

quote:
Originally posted by Summer3:
I think you have to put the risks of long-term antibiotics in perspective though. Untreated or under-treated Lyme and co-infections certainly has it's own risks. Many of those risks can be disabling and sometimes even fatal.

In my case, Lyme and co may be fatal years down the road, but sepsis and antibiotic resistant bacteria can be fatal immediately.

I am now looking into other ways to help my immune system get stronger to start fighting these bugs on its own.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Summer3
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In my case, Lyme and co may be fatal years down the road, but sepsis and antibiotic resistant bacteria can be fatal immediately.

I am now looking into other ways to help my immune system get stronger to start fighting these bugs on its own.

Right, if you're in immediate danger, obviously that comes first, but in terms of long-term outlooks...........I think a lot of people absolutely NEED abx to have any quality of life with this disease. After all, it is an infection.

Some people cannot get any improvement from immune support and herbal protocols alone. If you can, that's great. You're fortunate that you found something that works for you. Since we're all different, the same thing doesn't work for everyone.

So I don't think it's "creepy" or weird for people to do long-term antibiotics if that's what works for them. It's a personal choice. You will find that MOST LLMD's use abx at some point in treatment. They also use herbs. Lyme treatment is tailored to each individual's circumstances.

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessiep
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jessiep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I struggle with this issue so appreciate all the views shared. I hate taking these abx. But really fear getting worse. Right now I feel 80% and have for several weeks. Now what do I do? I'm tempted to stop taking the Tindy I am on within another month or so and see what happens. I still have babs tho and maybe Bart...ugh.

How long is long? In other words, are abx for a year ok for the most part? When do you enter the danger zone??

Posts: 342 | From Philadelphia | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally believe anything past 6 months is too long. I believe alternative treatment can be beneficial after that. It took my daughter 2 months of feeling very symptomatic once she stopped abx but then started to improve on alternative treatment. Most success stories with the rare exception of one or two i read on here were attributed to using alternative methods after abx.
I would also like to add there have been several who have died while treating agressively with abx.. Was that attributed to lyme or the treatment itself? We will probably never know. . All i know is many who are treating with herbs and alternatives are doing okay.

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

Lulu.. We come from the exact same school of
thought so it felt real good to read your post. I too have read of more Lyme related passings due to secondary infections due to over treating with antibiotics. I refuse to even touch that. Some don't realize that the pills they are gulping down now could and most likely will catch up with them down the road. Its pretty serious stuff. Lyme alone is toxic. Add more toxins like ABX to an already taxed immune system and look out. I'm just one person and this is simply my opinion. Based upon the number of private messages I received regarding this thread, it is
refreshing to see I do not stand alone. Thanks to those who read this.

lax mom
Member # 38743

I agree with lulu and lost.

I posted on another thread that my CD57 was 88 when I began treatment. One year into treatment, my NK cells are now considered non-functional at 3. Scary stuff.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sometimes wonder if the abx treatment itself does more harm than good. Like LAX Mom, what's up with the NK cells at 3 now? I'm having similar issues with my immune system....it seems to be worse now than before I started treatment. I now have low IGG, serum, and subclasses, where before I didn't. And abx are also not helping.

We need to do something about the immune system it seems to me. I'm taking a bunch of immune system support things now, like medicinal mushrooms, etc.

And I'm still symptomatic for active infection. LAX Mom, is parasite treatment still helping you?

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larae30
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larae30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe it is ever just 'lyme.' Why do some people get bit and get the rash and never have symptoms? I think there is a lot more at play: genetics, mold, methylation issues, diet, viruses, other infections, parasites etc etc the list is endless.

I think it's most imp to go off of how you are feeling.

I have done very well on abx the past year and have my brain back.

All of my testing has always been in range and I had a great Christmas, as opposed to last year.

I think people are too quick with their personal opinions, as no one really knows 100% about anything with this crap I feel like.

--------------------
Treating lyme, bart and babs

Posts: 506 | From NE | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is not a good idea to project your own personal situation onto others. Make your own decisions about how you want to treat, how long, how much symptomology you can tolerate. It is your decision, so do what you want. But this may not apply at all to other people.

Some of us require ongoing treatment to stay functional. We know when the symptoms are returning and what to do about it and would love to just quit or do "natural," but it has nasty consequences. It is true that this course of action is far from ideal, but no one has found anything better for us to use. The medical establishment isn't even looking, doesn't care. So we are on our own.

But if you think about other chronic diseases, they are not very well treated either. Cancer, diabetes, heart disease, parkinsons, alzheimers, als, ms, etc, etc. The current situation in chronic diseases in general is lousy.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

CD57: I am sad to say that I now feel just as sick as I was prior to treatment.

These diseases are so frustrating and filled with false starts and dashed hopes.

I felt great after 2 days of Biltricide. However, I was also on Cipro for a UTI...so who knows. I did 14 days of Pyrantel pamoate and felt wiped out.

I'm set to start another round of anti-parasitics in a few weeks.

So now, I am only on a small dose of Nitrofuerantin to prevent a chronic, resistent e.coli UTI from turning into sepsis again.

I am also on Diflucan, Lipo-Health, Mila and Nebulized Glutathione.

I feel like I need to be on antibiotics as I can feel my brain slipping away into a fog again. All I want to do each day now is sleep and sleep and sleep.

But I've been burned by the serious consequence of my own long-term antibiotic use (sepsis, non-functional NK cells)...so I'm scared and stuck.

Plus I have a new crop of viruses and M. Pneumonia that my immune system can no longer keep down (EBV, Parvo even HSV1). I had the Dr's test me for HIV, 2x (negative) because how can a person who was always healthy, develop a non-functional immune system at 38?

I feel like a mouse stuck in a maze. I keep finding a path, get my hopes up, then hit my head against another dead end wall.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

BuffyFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BuffyFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lost11, did you have the western blot done at all? or just the culture test?
Posts: 287 | From somewhere | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

Icon 7 posted      Profile for lost11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buffy.. I've had 3 blots and PCR testing. Oh and every CO infection under the sun.. All negative. This spans over 3 years. Oddly enough the last ignex blot was IGM positive and never was before. I sent that out along with my history to get 3 opinions. All agree odd and probably false negative. In chronic Lyme more often then not its the IGG that yiuve for. Never positive for that. I've had such in depth testing I feel comfortable enough to say any remaining minimal symptoms are not do to a parasite or an active BB infection. For me.. I've kicked it. I feel 150% GREAT. And I'm very happy about that.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement