LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Miralax and Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Miralax and Lyme
canbravelyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

There is some literature linking Miralax (laxative: Polyethylene Glycol 3350) to mood swings.

Anyone experience any mood changes while taking Miralax?

Best,

--------------------
For medical advice related to Lyme disease, please see an ILADS physician.

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please provide links to the literature to which you are referring.
Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canbravelyme
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Beaches,

Maybe I shouldn't have said literature, because it usually implies medical literature (which may be available, but I couldn't find on a Google search).

More accurately, there are some references. Here's a couple:

http://www.danasview.net/miralax.htm

http://judytsafrirmd.com/spotlight-finally-on-miralax/

"The mainstream medical position has been that PEG is minimally absorbed from the intestine, and thus poses no systemic risk. But there are many anecdotal reports by parents of very serious adverse side effects of this medication, particularly neuropsychiatric symptoms, mood and anxiety symptoms, tics, self-stimulating repetitive behaviors, seizures, to name only a few. A Yahoo group dedicated to this concern has over 1700 members."

--------------------

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cozynana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cozynana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Naturopath told me there are ingredients in Miralax that are used in anit-freeze. He said do not take this product!!!!
Posts: 620 | From Ks | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, my DD suffered through GI sx like no kid should EVER have to. She went through HELL and back over and over and over again for YEARS. She went through test after test after test. We tried every allopathic/naturopathic/holistic remedy under the sun.

We finally �stumbled� across an enlightened GI doc after YEARS of searching with NO expectation of any physician being able to relate to her in any way at all.

He wasn�t LL per se, this doc we came across, but he was very Lyme-aware and very respectful of my daughter and her significant medical history, him being from a medical center in an endemic area of the Midwest.

Guess what? His recommendation was that she do a full clean out with Miralax, followed by a nightly �maintenance dose� of Miralax. He explained the need for fluid intake when using Miralax.

Guess what again. The protocol he recommended is still working for her.

The only serious side effect we've seen from "this medication" aka Miralax is its ability to maintain bowel regularity.

You state: "The mainstream medical position has been that PEG is minimally absorbed from the intestine, and thus poses no systemic risk. But there are many anecdotal reports by parents of very serious adverse side effects of this medication, particularly neuropsychiatric symptoms, mood and anxiety symptoms, tics, self-stimulating repetitive behaviors, seizures, to name only a few. A Yahoo group dedicated to this concern has over 1700 members."

This has not been our experience at all. Hmm, those symptoms sound like they could be from Lyme/associated coinfections. Those parents might want to consider getting their kids evaluated for same.

[ 12-10-2012, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: beaches ]

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Oh and did I mention that Miralax IS NOT A MEDICATION???

If you have a kid with neuropsych sx, tics, self-stimulating repetitive behaviors, seizures, guess what time it is?

Time to get your kid evaluated for TBD by a LLMD. Seriously.

twicebitten
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twicebitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've taken it for 8 years, because of pain meds, and don't have any psychiatric issues due to it.
It is a bit scary looking at the chemicals in it. But, it's preferable to the effects of NOT taking it in some cases. It is also sold over the counter now, although I think it is still cheaper for me to use my rx.

--------------------
One day at a time

Posts: 409 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fourwinds
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fourwinds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a whole support group on Yahoo on the negative aspects of taking Miralax

I suffer from IBS, ulcerative colitis and constipation... never had problems with the IBS

and colitis until I started abx... I too was told by my gastro to take Miralax. I do

"occasionally" but find high dose ascorbic (powder) Vit C and other options more natural

I am concerned about the Polyethylene Glycol 3350 content of Miralax

Posts: 396 | From EAPennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canbravelyme
Member # 9785

Hi Fourwinds,

I was reading the posts in the yahoo group this AM. I took some Miralax last night, and found myself thinking about things in a more easygoing way than usual (which is why I started researching Miralax and mood).

Who knows whether it was the Miralax, but I'm going to try to see whether I can control the hideously constipating effects of the Zofran naturally or with Colace...

--------------------

beaches
Member # 38251

canbravelyme,

We tried colace, vit c, mag, etc. etc. etc.

Nothing worked like the miralax!

terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can Miralax be taken with meds and/or probiotics or is it another thing that has to be spaced?
Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

terv, in my experience with DD the Miralax can be taken with meds and probiotics. She's been taking them all at the same time for quite awhile and it's worked for her.

Of course during times when she's on abx, the probiotics are taken separately. But she has taken abx with Miralax and there have been no issues at all.

beaches
Member # 38251

fourwinds and canbravelyme,

I have to tell you both, I am surprised to even hear of this yahoo group. And, honestly, since the Miralax has worked so well for dd who had been so sick, I�m very hesitant to even explore this group! Lyme/cos has been so god-awful and enough already! I don�t need any more problems!

The sx that were mentioned previously and associated with use of Miralax�tics, neuropsych issues, etc. reek of tick-borne disease sx. DD�s sx have been greatly diminished with tx for same, along with the regular use of Miralax.

Canbravelyme, are you saying you felt a bit lighter after taking the Miralax? LOL Sorry, I just couldn�t resist!

Hope you feel better soon. I know how bad/painful it is.

seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My young daughter has been on Miralax every day for 3 years now. Her docs say it's completely safe.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twicebitten
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twicebitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miralax works differently than colace or some other laxatives. This is what I was told by my pain clinic. It stimulates the system to go, doesn't "soften" or change consistency.
At least that's what they told me. The pain meds I take slow the system and the miralax is just to kick start it up.

--------------------
One day at a time

Posts: 409 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fourwinds
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fourwinds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@beaches and @seekhelp ... yes I guess there are negatives to anything if we look hard enough, sigh.

I have concerns about pharmaceuticals and OTC "stuff" that has serious chemicals in it.

I am just one of those curious types that doesn't put anything in my mouth to swallow without looking it up, LOL.

There are so many "things" on the market that are dangerous that the FDA just closes their eyes to because it is profitable.

I view knowledge as empowerment with regard to my body. I've had too many doctors give me BAD advice. ("I" don't trust everything doctors tell us...;0

Ultimately, we each have to make our own decisions based on that knowledge..... [Smile]

Posts: 396 | From EAPennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had a bad experience with Miralax. It turned my guts to cement that was absolutely $##$@% to pass (manual extraction required). Worst stuff on the planet for me.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement