LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Hydroxy B12 vs. Methyl B12 (injections)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hydroxy B12 vs. Methyl B12 (injections)
Tammy N.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't feel right when taking the Methyl B12. Razzle has suggested that maybe it's jump-starting methylation too quickly. I'm about to give the hydroxy a try.

I've read neff and others say that they take the hydroxy. Wonder what the reasoning is?

I understand the Cyan is not good.

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tammy you definitely need Hydroxy and Deplin, you have the mutation. No other folate and only the brand.
Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delljen
Member # 25090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for delljen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take hydroxy B12 called Perque. I have been the simplified protocol for about 4 months and I feel it is helping my detox issues.

I did have problems in the beginning of the simplified protocol because I was not able to handle so many methyl groups. I felt terrible when I was on Methyl-B12. It gave me this over-methyl sick feeling and I then had to take no-flush niacin to counteract the sick feeling which really helped. If that makes any sense, ha (foggy brain)

Now that I have switched to hydroxyB12 I have not had those problems.

--------------------
Lyme, Bart, Babs D, FL1953
I am just sharing my thoughts and experiences - I'm not a medical professional.

Posts: 69 | From Midwest | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
karen - I've been taking L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate (FaloPro from Metagenics). It is the methylated version of folate. Why do you think Deplin is better? Thanks. Also, do you know why Hydroxy is better?

dell - looks like we have a few things in common! haha. I'm hoping, like you, I'll do just fine with the hydroxy version. May I ask... what else are you doing as part of the simplified protocol? Did you have any testing done? If so, where?

btw - I would not have known that no-flush niacin would help with that sick over-methylated feeling. Where did you learn that?

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delljen
Member # 25090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for delljen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tammy, We do have a lot in common : )
I was tested through Dr. L on MTHFR.net
I came back;
C677T Heterozygous
A1298C Heterozygous

I know about no-flush niacin from working with Dr. L but here is a link that explains it:
http://mthfr.net/methylfolate-side-effects/2012/03/01/

I am on: Folapro, P5P, B4, Hydroxy B12 (perque), Intrinsic B12/Folate, Seeking Health Multi. Niacin as needed.
Rich's Simplified Protocol info link:
http://www.ei-resource.org/articles/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-articles/simple-methylation-treatment-protocol-for-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

--------------------
Lyme, Bart, Babs D, FL1953
I am just sharing my thoughts and experiences - I'm not a medical professional.

Posts: 69 | From Midwest | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The key is to start slowly. For example, 1/4 of a tablet of the methyl-folate (5-methyltetrahydrofolate) once every few days.

Because if methylation has been stuck, getting it working again can release a flood of toxins and make a person feel absolutely miserable.

Good to know about the niacin (no flush) helping with the over-methylation. Thanks!

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tammy,
I think the folapro is ok, just another brand.
The hydroxy is easier to be metabolized if you have the mutation. Your body is able to take it but can't metabolize the methyl at the moment. Honestly nobody could give me a real answer.
The hydroxy will make you feel great. One shot a day?
Tammy, you have only the 1298 not the 677, right?
One 1298 is not so bad.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

delljen - Thanks for that info. And good to know about the niacin trick too! Thanks. Some of the supps sound great, but others sound like they are a little contra-indicated for those with methylation issues. Like for instance, I thought we weren't suppose to take any folate, only the methylated version. Also, cyan b12 is not suppose to be good.... I thought only hydroxy or methyl.

Razzle - I've been taking 1/2 FaloPro tablet every day for the last 2 weeks, and feeling good. But maybe I should back off a bit. I don't want to overdo it.

karenl - doc said to start with 1 shot per week. But that doesn't seem like enough. Maybe I'll increase gradually. I was told I am homozygous for MTHFR. But I'm not sure what the gene numbers are. I couldn't find it on the report. I think I'll call the lab.

Annelet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annelet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tammy..... people tolerate Methyl donors differently depending on their COMT/VDR status as well as the MTHFR mutations. If you get the full Methylation gene test done, this will become clearer.
Methylation is MUCH more than MTHFR

Posts: 250 | From canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Thank you Annelet. Yes, I understand there is so much more to it than just MTHFR. I'm just trying to figure out what the best possible lab would be, before I spend more money. I just saw your post on my other thread also. Thanks:)
Hailex
Member # 39674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hailex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is MTHFR? I'm a newbie.
Posts: 5 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Check out MTHFR.net. This site will give you a good overview.

But like Annelet was saying, there is so much more to methylation issues than just MTHFR. To learn more on methylation, go to heartfixer.com. It's a lot to take in, but worth exploring.

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am COMT positive so I have "too many methyl groups floating around" according to heartfixer. It is best for me to take hydroxy B12 for that reason. Heartfixer explains it best:

he downside of being COMT (+) is that you will have a lot of free methyl groups floating around, as you are not using them up breaking down dopamine.

Thus if we need to give you other Methyl Cycle intermediates (such as methyl-B12 if you have MTR/MTRR issues), we risk ODing you with methyl groups. Too many methyl groups can lead to mood swings. Panic attacks and bi-polar mood disorder are seen with greater frequency in COMT (+) individuals; this makes sense.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Nefferdun says is true, unless one also has VDR variants (I have both ComT and VDR variants...they cancel each other out when it comes to methyl group tolerance, so I can take methyl-B12 without trouble).

Tammy,

If you are doing well on your current supplementing routine, then there is no need to back off. Let your symptoms guide you.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement