LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Everyone Around Me Is Getting Sick-Freaking Out A Little

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Everyone Around Me Is Getting Sick-Freaking Out A Little
jessicabooklover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessicabooklover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone...everyone around me that I see regularly and care about is getting sick with this flu virus, including possibly my fiance. He doesn't feel terrible but he is nasally and coughing a bit. He thinks its allergies but who knows..

I did not get the flu shot, as my LLMD is against them, and I also have issues with them. I got a flu shot 5 yrs ago and it made me TERRIBLY ill and I vowed never again..

Anything I should do to try to protect myself now, or is it too late with exposure? I do have a functioning immune system according to all the tests, just a slightly elevated white blood count.

I just shudder to think what a flu will do to my already plummeting weight. UGH. Any suggestions as to what to do for an underweight person who might get this flu? Thanks. Jess.

Posts: 870 | From ct | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daynise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daynise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you able to do any herbs with your other meds?

If they aren't contraindicated with your other meds,

Echinacea
Astragalus
Vitamin C
Vitamin A
Elderberry

can help your immune system ward off the extra crap going around.

When my hubby or the people around me at work are all sick I take Airborne plus extra of all the stuff above.

The people at my job have all been horribly ill this winter with cold/flu (nice that they come to work to share right?) and I've managed not to get it yet this year.

Usually I catch everything, but I've been ok so far taking these herbs. Knock on wood... [Smile]

Posts: 428 | From Midwest | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jessicabooklover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessicabooklover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daynise-THANK YOU SO MUCH! Jess
Posts: 870 | From ct | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lost11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear ya. I'm freaking out too. Lol
Posts: 267 | From South | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jessicabooklover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39427

HAHA right? My poor fiance, hes getting sick a little but hes so sweet natured. And he keeps apologizing -"I am so sorry I might be diseased honey" LOL...Im like, "its ok, you accept my disease, I will accept your flu or whatever this is" oyyyy [Smile] . Jess.
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
L-Lysine, 1000mg, on an empty stomach 20 minutes before breakfast helps to prevent and/or treat a viral infection.

Viruses think Lysine is Arginine, so they take it in, but Lysine doesn't have what the virus needs to reproduce, so the virus dies instead.

If you get the flu, take the L-Lysine 1000mg 20 minutes before every meal.

Can also give this to your fiance.

Other things:

Andrographis is proven to prevent respiratory infections (colds/flu). I'm soooo glad I've been on this now for a while. I take 400mg 2x/day, but don't start with that much...it hits Lyme and may trigger a herx.

Elderberry also inhibits viral reproduction. I take 2 capsules 2x/day when ill; otherwise I take 2 caps 1x/day if I'm around someone else who is ill.

Can also find elderberry lozenges or liquid/tincture... Can take elderberry with or without a meal.

Homeopathic Influenzinum and Oscillococcinum are both good for flu. We take one tiny capful of the pellets of Oscillococcinum once a week during flu season to help prevent flu.

If you get the flu, use the capful of Oscillococcinum every 2 hours until improvement is noticed. Also, take Influenzinum 3-4x/day.

And of course, wash - wash - wash the hands, always...before eating, before & after using the restroom, after returning home from work/stores, etc.

And don't touch mouth/nose/eyes without first washing your hands.

Best to use regular soap, as antibacterial soap won't kill viruses, and can contribute to bacterial resistance to antibacterial stuff.

Hand sanitizers do not work very well; hot soapy water is best.

A castor oil pack on the chest is excellent for helping with coughs and bronchitis.

Essential oils:

Diffuse Thieves or Purification

Apply Eucalyptus, Thieves, Purification and/or Lavender oil to your throat & chest (make sure you use medical grade to avoid the contaminants and synthetics used in perfume-grade essential oils).

If any essential oil irritates your skin (usually felt as a burning sensation), apply olive or coconut oil on top of the essential oil to dilute the oil and relieve the irritation.

Other oils that are good: Melissa (strong antiviral), Peppermint (strong antiviral), Oregano, Thyme, Lemongrass, Lemon...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jessicabooklover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39427

Razzle-what would I do without you? You are a complete and utter godsend! THANK YOU!!! Jess.
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also vitamin D3 in high doses. I even heard on mainstream CNN, a discussion about whether the flu shot was any better than Vitamin D. Vitamin D3 at 50,000 IU's makes me instantly better!
Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jessicabooklover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39427

Thanks bailey! Jess.
sillia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sillia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"False fevers" aka sauna treatment or hot baths (if you can tolerate them) can help to kill off a virus. Especially at the very early stages.

In case you do get sick, either with flu or with the norovirus (intestinal) that's also going around, have something ready for rehydration.

ORS (Oral Rehydration Solution) is simple to make with just sugar, salt and water in the right proportions. This is recommended worldwide by WHO and has saved many lives, especially children.
Recipe here: http://rehydrate.org/solutions/homemade.htm#recipe

You can also buy ORS in ready-to mix packets. Might be handy if you're too sick to think, but in most cases you can probably just mix your own.

Posts: 261 | From Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jessicabooklover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39427

Sillia-thank you so very much!! Jess.
CherylSue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lauricidin pellets

Olive Leaf Extract

Oil of Oregano

Citrus therapy, fresh squeezed orange, lime, or lemon juice (can use truvia to sweeten)

Limit sugar products- sugar affects immunity

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement