LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Felt better at altitude!...or was it lack of EMF?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Felt better at altitude!...or was it lack of EMF?
CD57
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My family travelled to Reno to visit family recently. Reno is at about 5500 feet. I noticed while there that I felt very good, and two things occurred to me....I was outside, in the mountains, at high altitude, and there were virtually no EMFs around.

Can anyone comment on this? I thought altitude would make me feel much worse and have never really thought about EMF.

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my case, it is not EMF stuff but rather the fact that the high altitude causes me to feel better.

I was around tons of computers while in college, and the town I was in for college was at about 4800' elevation.

I felt soooo much better there than at home (which was 2900' elevation).

I think I remember reading something that Lyme can cause a person to feel better at higher altitude and worse by the ocean...which describes me to a T.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The body acclimates and pushes more oxygen through the blood in places it normally doesn't get to (bb hates oxygen).

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/climbing/altitude-sickness1.htm

http://www.divinecaroline.com/22175/84380-do-funny-high-altitudes

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, less humidity/mold, as another possibility.
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
also blood is thinner?

wow, I live right next to the ocean!

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Less humidity and altitude has helped me a lot. We just moved from sea level to about 9200 ft above sea level in Colorado.

Love it here. Weather doesn't feel cold without all that moisture in the air and it feels good to be outside.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched the speaker on Mold Toxicity (Shoemaker 101) at the 2012 Lyme Conference, and he mentioned people who felt better at higher altitude. My notes on his talk are here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/121800?

Here is the sentence where he discussed it:

"If a person feels better when they get to an altitude of over 7,500 feet, that is a clue that their ? is low. (Sorry, I missed the word here.) Going to high altitudes make these folks feel better, so that is the clue to this abnormality."

Whatever the missing word is, it is something that is commonly low in at least some mold sufferers. The rest of the notes may give a clue to what it is.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

TF...I wonder if that's MSH or VIP hormones that he is so into. Does that sound right?

I did measure abnormal on some of his markers. Time to check into this!

emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emla999/Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Endocrinologist Dr. Ray Peat, has some very interesting things to say about the health benefits of living in a high altitude.

http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/altitude-mortality.shtml

http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=19

On the link down bellow, starting around the 6:15 minute mark, Dr. Ray Peat talks about the benifical body chemistry/hormonal changes that occur while living in higher altitudes.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22195338/Kmud_Altitude_kmud_100716_190000fritalk.mp3

Higher altitude increases protective serum hormones

http://www.systemicvitality.com/myblog/2012/7/29/proof-that-altitude-increases-protective-serum-hormones.html

Basically, he says that the benefits in health that people sometimes experience when they move to a higher altitude can be due to the body chemistry changes that can occur when they move to a higher altitude.

For example, muscles can work up to 50% more efficient at high altitude. So, ATP wastage is reduced. And at high altitudes there is also a reduced production of lactic acid at a given work rate at high altitude. And living in a higher altitude may increase T3, testosterone, and normalizes hormones.

Also at high altitude, there is lower oxygen pressure and that lower oxygen pressure allows your body to retain more carbon dioxide.

And according to Dr. Peat, carbon dioxide produced in the cells, releases oxygen into the tissues, relaxes blood vessels, prevents edema, eliminates ammonia, and increases the efficiency of oxidative metabolism.

You might want to read some of Dr Ray Peat and Matt Stone's work if living in a higher altitude makes you feel better.

Also, was your eating and water/fluid drinking pattern different while staying there? Changes in eating and water drinking habits can have profound changes on the way that you feel.

Posts: 1223 | From U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Razzle, ever thought about trying Procrit?
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many, many years ago I went to Vegas and noticed that aches/pains went away.

Years after that I went on a ski trip to CO where the altitude was about 11,000 feet. I got severe altitude sickness and ended up hospitalized with very serious symptoms that had long ranging affects on my health.

So I wouldn't mind going back to Vegas, but I will never, ever again travel to a place with an altitude over 5K. Just my two cents' worth.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CD57, can I ask why you are asking Razzle about procrit?

This is the same thing as erythropoietin, which is given to people who are severely anemic due to kidney failure.

Can ppl other than those with that dx even get that med?

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you read the link (from Better Health Guy) in the mold toxicity thread I referenced above, you will see these notes on the subject of feeling better at altitude:

�C4a can be lowered with the RX drug Procrit, also known as erythropoietin or EPO.
�IF you feel better at high altitude, Procrit may help.

The missing word in my notes is some acronym. It may be C4a, based on the Better Health Guy notes.

Whatever the missing word is, it seems the solution is Procrit.!!!

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Yeah there was another thread about this, sorry beaches. Procrit sounds scary though.
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES! I had the same exact experience while visiting Tahoe and Reno in August. It was a remarkable improvement, especially in head symptoms.
Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
c4a is usually elevated in Lyme patients indicating inflammation. I don't know if it's c4a.

All I could talk about when I got back from that trip was how great I felt in Reno and Tahoe. I started feeling worse as we made our way to the coast of CA.

can someone give more info. on procrit? I have a high c4a level and if procrit lowers it, that would be great.

Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was given procrit and it did not help anything...not even my anemia...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Jwall maybe we need to move! I think someone posted about more CO2 in the blood at those altitiudes, which can be a good thing.

I live on the coast and as we made our way back home, yep, started up again.

This is a great question for an LLMD.

emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emla999/Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CD57,

You might find the links down bellow to be interesting. And yes, I agree that an increase in the production of CO2 can sometimes be helpful... and being at a higher altitude can increase the body's production of CO2.

A way to incease your body's CO2 production.

http://tinyurl.com/bb2t6db

http://tinyurl.com/bduhqe4

Oral sodium bicrabonate and carbon dioxide production

http://tinyurl.com/a6ruqrl

The mixture of baking soda and maple syrup has been popularized in some alternative health circles as being helpful in the treatment of various ailments such as cancer. And the improvements that some people have seen with that combination are often attributed to that mixtures "alkalinizing effects" but the reported benefits of that mixture may have more to do with the resulting increase in the production of carbon dioxide(CO2).

Also, Professor Buteyko developed a breathing method that can raise CO2 levels within the body.

http://tinyurl.com/akcvt94

And I also just want say, that I do not think that drinking a mixture of sugar/maple syrup/sodium bicarbonate/water or by just raising CO2 alone is going to cure people of something such as Lyme Disease. But such a mixture maybe beneficial in some circumstance.

Posts: 1223 | From U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
"sugar/maple syrup/sodium bicarbonate/water"

Ugh. I can't think that would help but could sure hurt many processes in the body. Many.

"Felt better at altitude!..."

It may also have to do with the humidity factor at that time. Sure does for me, I love low humidity.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Keebler, CO2 can have beneficial health effects upon the body. And moving to a higher altitude can increase the body levels of CO2.

Also, the Buteyko method can raise CO2 levels within the body. And some have proposed that a mixture of maple syrup/sodium bicarbonte/water or the mixture of sugar/sodium bicarbonte/water can increase the body's level of CO2.

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
emla,

I was mainly thinking of blood sugar reactions from the mix. I know maple syrup can crash me fast, even a little bit with food. Because lyme messes with insulin issues, I think that was just my gut reaction.

And to much baking soda can also have consequences to lining of stomach and kidneys. Of course, amount matter but just a couple things to keep in mind as one considers other ways to achieve the same thing.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

CD57,

Another possible reason for the improvemnents that you felt when you moved to a higher altitude maybe be due the increase in your body's production of the thyroid hormone Free T3.

Moving to a higher altitude can increase the body's production of Free T3.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8898516

Quote from that study:

" Serum free T3 increased steadily at moderate altitude and reached a significantly higher level at the end of the training period than before."

"CONCLUSIONS:

The serum Free T3 increases when unacclimatized sea level skiers move to train at moderate altitude."

So, moving to a higher altitude can affect the production of your thyroid hormones and thus some people may feel better when they move to a higher altitude.

And I would guess that if a person that had a low functioning thyroid (hypothyroidism) moved to a higher altitude then maybe that person would probably feel better at least in part due to the increased Free T3 production that can occur from living in a higher altitude.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement