LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Diet and the Immune System

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Diet and the Immune System
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Started to post this info to another thread that seems to have disappeared. Anyway -- some info that may be of interest.

I just got a "new" used book in the mail -- Antibiotic Crisis: Antibiotic Alternatives by Leon Chaitow published in 1998. The subtitle of the book is "Powerful Strategies to Fight Infection and Supercharge Your Immune System."

The book includes a chapter on Immune Enhancement: Supplements, Herbs, Hydrotherapy and Acupuncture.

Quote from the book -- "The following are a few of the known deficiencies associated with most people who have weakened immune function -- vitamin B6, folate, vitamin b12, selenium, and zinc."

Everyone always thinks zinc and vitamin c are the major immune supplements. I had forgotten just how important the b vitamins were.

But there are others needed as well -- vitamin a or beta carotene, vitamin c, vitamin e, selenium, zinc, potassium, magnesium, iron, manganese, essential fatty acids and probiotics, vitamins b1, b2, b5, b12, folic acid and biotin.

From the list of supplements above one that deserves special mention is manganese -- that is a trace mineral that generally is overlooked. But research has shown that borrelia depletes the body of that mineral. 5 to 10 mg is a usual dose and it is included in the better multivitamins.

Also one important observation on sugar -- per the book -- "Consuming 90 grams of honey or fruit sugar (or fruit juice) or regular sucrose will cause a drop by up to 50 percent in white blood cell activity for between one and five hours."

As the saying goes -- everything in moderation. Eating fruit is fine -- but best to spread it out over the course of the day and not consume all sweets in one meal.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Bea. I tended to ignore multi vitamins as overrated, so thanks for the reminder.

Sounds like a good book. Anything new/eye opening?

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have recently, drastically changed my diet. I am on a raw food cleanse and I'm feeling much better. Of course, I have also added a couple of other things and who knows if this is the reason I am feeling better.

Is anyone here on a Raw food diet? If so, do you think it has helped?

Please post your diet experiences and how they are helping.

I bought a Blendtec blender.... one of the best investments I have ever made. I'm able to flood my body with nutritious food and it literally takes a few minutes to throw a meal together. And these drinks taste good!!!! I'm serious.

I also have noticed that the people that got well on Lymenet were very strict with their diet.

I no longer eat sugar or drink coffee. Approximately 60% of my diet is healthy greens.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Bea! You are very kind to help all of us. :)

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Bea. I think diet is extremely important!!!

Haley.. I am trying to do the same. I began juicing several days ago and I am incorporating as many fresh vegetables as possible.

I've had trouble juicing the greens, though. I will get a blender next week. Maybe that will help!!

Also... making my own kombucha has been AWESOME!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymelisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymelisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told to have raw honey with apple cider vinegar. But also not supposed to have sugar do others know if raw honey is ok?
Posts: 138 | From Connecticut | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo - If you can get one of the really powerful blenders - Vitamix or Blendtec you won't be sorry. I got $80 off of the blendtec. Costco has some deals too I think.
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emla999/Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Also one important observation on sugar -- per the book -- "Consuming 90 grams of honey or fruit sugar (or fruit juice) or regular sucrose will cause a drop by up to 50 percent in white blood cell activity for between one and five hours."
Actually, eating either honey or sugar may possibly INCREASE white blood cell count.

http://researchcommons.waikato.ac.nz/handle/10289/1276

http://tinyurl.com/bdmag47

***Please see chart on page 5

In that study, when rats were feed a diet that included either honey or sugar(sucrose) the lymphocyte count (white blood cell count) of those rats increased significantly more when compared to the rats that were not fed either sugar or honey. And the neutrophil phagocytosis also increased significantly more in the rats that were fed either honey or sugar(sucrose). Neutrophil is another type of white blood cell.

The lymphocytes (white blood cells) and neutrophil phagocytosis differed significantly between all three treatments, the white blood cell count was highest in the honey feed rats. The sugar (sucrose) feed rats saw the second highest rise in white blood cell counts and the sugar free fed rats saw the least rise in white blood cell count.

"In conclusion: Honey may have a beneficial effect on immune activity, possibly attenuating the decline seen in older age."

This case study reports on the successful use of a white granulated sugar dressing on a patient with two infected pressure ulcers.

http://www.woundsinternational.com/case-reports/the-use-of-granulated-sugar-to-treat-two-pressure-ulcers/page-4

Further more, I believe that book quote was probably based upon this 1973 study.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/26/11/1180.abstract

That study was an vitro study that was performed in a lab and performed under slides. And to my knowledge there has never been an in vivo study that has shown that eating honey, fruit or sugar can cause a 50% reduction in white blood cell count.

More about that 1973 study

http://nutrition.about.com/b/2009/10/05/does-sugar-really-hurt-your-immune-system.htm

Posts: 1223 | From U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement