LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Oral versus IV

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oral versus IV
lymelisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymelisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IV versus Orals Antibiotics � I am new to Lyme, although not new to being sick. Been essentially bedridden for nearly 6 years. My symptoms are pretty much all neurological, with the worst symptom being severe dizziness in the form of disequilibrium, making me unable to walk without a walker. Other symptoms include migraines, fatigue, flu like, brain zaps, occasional blurriness, severe visual hypersensitivity, and the list goes on. I would do anything in the world to regain my life, and I want to make the �correct� decision regarding treatment. I�ve been to two LLMDs, and one said that I should work up to high doses of amoxicillin to start as high doses pass the blood brain barrier and I am assuming he will add other meds for coinfections, cysts, etc., whereas another doctor was adamant that I will only get well on IV. Both well-respected LLMDs. I want to, obviously, survive the treatment, but want to do anything to get well. Any thoughts? (Btw I'm also doing some things to detox, etc.) Thank you so much!
Posts: 138 | From Connecticut | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Burrascano guidelines, if someone is sick for more than one year, has many neurological issues, has had steroid involvement or is over 60 years old, IV is the course he would suggest.

You sound like that is what is warranted but that is a decision only you can make.

I was extremely sick for a long time before we figured out what was wrong and I had neurological issues and steroid involvement. I couldn't get out of bed. I am on disability. Migraines and pain were horrible and I was not sleeping.

I started out with orals for 6 months with zero improvement. I also had many gastro issues too which included malabsoption of anything so it made sense to try IV.

I went on IV last February and it made a huge difference for me. I am slowly getting better.

My husband has Lyme too but at the time I was sicker than he was so I went on IV first. He has heart involvement and is not improving on orals so he just started IV too. He already has a pacemaker/defibrillator for arrhythmia's.

We will get our life back, but it will take time. I don't regret going on IV at all. We both have ports so we can shower fully 3 days a week.

Some people can respond well to orals, but some others can't tolerate those high doses of abx orally.

If you can afford to do so, I would start with IV if I were you. It will get you out of bed.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymelisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymelisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Faithful - thank you so much. that makes good sense. it herx not necessarily stronger on IV? I will do anything to get my life back. you mention shower 3 times per week. with port, you can't shower daily? I would prefer port to picc
Posts: 138 | From Connecticut | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good answer faithful. i went to an llmd for iv. my ins wouldnt pay. he put me on highdose orals...it took me awhile to ramp up -had to learn how to control gi sx...and he was very picky about figuring correct doses by testing me a special way.

it took a year to get to full dose. then did them a year. then pulsed a year. and then had to clean up=detox etc

i got well enough to teach for 20 yrs before something different than lyme disabled me

i had a friend who wanted to get better immedeatly-she pushed for iv...had a major problem with infection - almost died and ended up having a disabling surgery.

i have heard llmds say it is best to go oral if you can to prevent possible infection problems.

i have also heard of many on iv not getting better.

the above reasons by dr b mean a lot. or if you are allergic to abx or have severe gi sx that cant be controlled...

but it is important to know the reasons to not do iv lightly

and please make sure you understand the new thinking about the bugs being too smart to be killed by abx...

until now i have always encouraged ppl to do as many abx as possible in the beginning...now i am beginning to look at it differently.

good luck with your fight against this disease

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the difference between a port and a picc line?
Posts: 922 | From Philadelphia | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMom Kellye
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMom Kellye   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter was sick for 11 years before diagnosis at age 16. She tried orals for almost 2 years with very little improvement. We spent 10's of thousands of dollars testing and for LLMD and supplements.

Last August she had a CVC placed and began IV. When she started she was bed bound.

Her Dr pulses the IV with treatment m,w and f. On non treatment days she infuses Lactated ringers to help with detox and dehydration.

So 5 months later she is driving, applying for jobs and is doing 100% better. She is not 100% per-illness and still has symptoms. But for the very first time since diagnosis she is getting better and I believe that she will be 100% within the next year.

If all goes well with the next round of meds she will be having her CVC pulled and will manage the remaining symptoms with orals.

Our insurance paid for all orals but we didn't submit the LLND bills as we were trying to stay under the radar. We have been paying out of pocket (say goodbye college fund) and IV is expensive. We travel across the country so our expenses are even higher. Just for the 9 months of IV we are looking at $35,000. Let alone flights etc....

All I know is that IV is working where nothing else would. Best of wishes to you and yours and prayers for wellness!

Posts: 333 | From Lyme Here Too | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymelisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39743

Thank you
Ipkayak - what are your new thoughts about antibiotics ?

lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i still think a new lyme pateint shoud hit the bugs hard with all types of abx in an organized manner (like dr b says or experienced llmd) first

but-if you dont see herx or improvement (i still dont understand why some have to herx and some just get better-i saw this with my kids) within a reasonable time -a few months...then switch protocols...then a few months on each

and if there is no change/improvement in a year

then...maybe iv...but the new thinking is the bugs are just too smart-all of them, bacteria, virus, parasites and they all change depending on what happens to one...they have figured out the abx

my llmd has told me for awhile...when a person doesnt respond or a person feels better on abx and crashes everytime they try to get off...then the bugs are smart adn winning

he says it is harder for the bugs to figure out herbs...use herbs

now...i have also found out it is very important you get good quality-you must research and find the ones that are pure and absorbable...it isnt easy

i am going to pm you the 2 docs i would read about and follow

remember i am not a doc...i am old...i am foggy on and off...but i do believe there is some good to what i say

alot of the new thinkign is in an artical in publichealthalert.org that all can get free online

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymelisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39743

Thank you very much!
Life+Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life+Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ports are amazing!! I've had two now and can't imagine tolerating the picc. Ports are longer lasting, and if you have to take a break from treatment, you deaccess and feels completely normal.

I've had a port for a while, but I really have no pain with the port. I access it myself, and it doesn't hurt.

You can use aqua guards to shower everyday. I'm a little obsessive about being clean when I'm able to.

I recommend IV's! With my GI sx and severe neuro involvement, I couldn't do it without IV's.

Good luck!

--------------------
You name it, I've got it.
Full-time medical anomaly.

Posts: 432 | From Southeast | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can use a hand shower with a port. I put
press n seal over the port and am careful not to get water on it.

When the needle comes out on the 5th day, I can get the port wet with a regular shower. I can also use my sauna on those days.

There are usually less problems with a port. I have dogs and did not want any physical restrictions that can happen with a picc line.

--------------------
Faithful

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Littlesprout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Littlesprout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did IVs for about a yr then got a staph inf, had the line removed From what I have seen over the yrs, one does feel better on IVs but there comes a time you have to stop ....inf, ins stops paying, etc
Then most relapse in time after they stop and loose their gains

Just be careful, watch for inf
You will feel better on IVs like I did.
My opinion ....good luck

Posts: 315 | From USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laurie sm
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laurie sm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got much better on IV Rocephin with a port. I treated for 6 months until I had to pull the picc line because of infection. This was after a year of multiple oral antibiotics which onky made me feel worse. I relapsed after a time and then did IM Bicillin for 8 months with Flagyl for the Lyme. The IM Bicillin worked the best for me.
Good Luck-if I were you i woulk def. try the IV first before orals.

Posts: 256 | From long island, new york | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laurie sm
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laurie sm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
woops i had a picc line not a port!
Posts: 256 | From long island, new york | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymelisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39743

Thank you
poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Faithful, did you need a nurse to do anything for your IV? You said you accessed it yourself. Could you explain what that means and what is the deal with the needle?
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

I had a port put in and used a nurse to put the needle in weekly for a while. A port is under the skin and is put in surgically. You are less prone to infection with a port and they are less bothersome with activity.

So a Huber needle goes into the port once a week so I can infuse for 5 days and then I take it out on Friday morning when I am done.

I had to learn how to put the needle in when I went on vacation late last summer. The other reason for learning is that I got some nurses that had no clue how to put the needle in correctly and it caused me some problems, one which sent me to the hospital.

I don't use nursing care anymore. I just access once a week, use a pump with a syringe of Clindamycin, infuse 5 days and pull the needle on Friday morning. I do a hand shower on the days the needle is in and put press n seal over my port.

I can take a real shower on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Also, this allows me to use my sauna those three days too.

--------------------
Faithful

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement