LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Any danger in taking methyl folate?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any danger in taking methyl folate?
Kudzuslipper
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been curious on all I have read on mhtfr defects, I doubt i will be able to test for this, insurance I doubt will cover it... But like us all, I am willing to try things that might help, but do no harm.

Is there any danger in taking this supplement if you don't have a defect? Would I take it with methyl b12 or instead?

Is it ok to take it with a multi with regular folate? I only take a multi a few times a week.

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hopeny
Member # 35984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hopeny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Insurance covered this test for us via Quest
Posts: 92 | From New Yorl | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If one does not have MTHFR or any other methylation cycle genomic mutations, then methylfolate is perfectly safe to take.

It is simply the form of Folate that is "active" or biologically available for use in the methylation cycle, and the body (if no MTHFR mutations) will convert Folic Acid into methylfolate anyway...so no harm done skipping the conversion step.

That said, if you DO have certain specific other methylation defects, and/or are over-methylated, then methylfolate may not be the best thing to take.

Least expensive option is to find someone who can muscle-test you on the methylfolate to see if it is ok for you.

And, if for sure you do not have MTHFR, are not over-methylated, and do not have other methylation genomic mutations/variants, then yes it is safe to take regular Folic Acid in addition to methylfolate.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do have the genetic mutation and I have a really hard time with methyfolate. It gives me really bad brain fog, anxiety, severe body pain issues.

My LLMD put me on deplin to correct this issue, but I literally sat in my room all day screaming in pain, brain totally out of it, super anxiety and could not sleep. It was AWFUL!

I finally linked deplin to that feeling and so he said some people with the genetic mutation do have problems with it.

he advised me to take methylfolate (metafolin) starting with 400mcg and working my way up to 800 mcg. I still can't really even handle that, so he advised me to take it once every 3 days.

Just be aware if you do have the genetic mutation, it can be hard to take and you'd probably notice problems right after taking it.

go to the mthfr web site. There is a really good one that talks about everything including people having negative reactions to it.

Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the guidance everyone.
Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMom Kellye
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMom Kellye   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for ramping up my daughter started with 1mcg wo day and built up to 8 daily. When she first started she started at full dose and crashed. If she would have taken a whole
Deplin even 1 time she would have had severe brain fog and pain for a week.

She is doing much better now and detoxes just fine.

Posts: 333 | From Lyme Here Too | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was the exact same way on deplin - total misery.

Where do you get your methylfolate/which brand LymeMom?

My LLMD now has told me to take it once every 3 days. I still have a hard time with it.

Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annelet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annelet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The symptoms you are describing when starting too high a dose of 5MTHF are due to Folate trapping. You HAVE to start with making sure you have enough B12 on board first.... either Methyl- or Hydroxy-. Adding in Folate alone will mask a B12 deficiency. The B12 is essential to facilitate the de-methylation of 5MTHF and complete the Folate cycle. If you don't have enough B12, the Folate ( although you are taking it ) gets 'trapped' and can't be used. Stop all 5MTHF products. get back to base line... start in with the B12 and later add in the 5MTHF. If you have had a previous bad reaction, start very, very low and slow.
Posts: 250 | From canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good thread Kudz.

Annelet - interesting post. I am homozygous for MTHFR.

When I have bloodwork done, my folate is very high (I hear this is not good, but I'm not sure why). Could this be the "trapping" you are talking of? That perhaps I don't have enough B12 on board?

I'm also still trying to figure out if I have an allergy to colbalt. I have an awful feeling every time I take a B12 shot, no matter if it's methyl or hydroxy. But I seem to do okay with Thorne's Basic B complex.

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
High Folic Acid is an indication of MTHFR defect - the inability to convert Folic Acid to methyl-folate (5-methyltetrahydrofolate).

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also don't remember anyone testing for folate....
Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement